• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

ExtremeBurn's Grow Log 2009

Set Up
GrowLight.jpg

Week 1
Week1.jpg

Week 2
Week2.jpg

Week 3
Week3.jpg

Up until yesterday I've been growing the seedlings under fluorescent lighting. Yesterday I moved the plants under Agrosun Halide lighting. Hopefully they'll start to take off now!

Looks good man. I like your light hanger but what are you gonna do when you need more room than that bottom shelf will allow?

Txclosetgrower said:
Looks good man. I like your light hanger but what are you gonna do when you need more room than that bottom shelf will allow?

I'm just gonna set stuff on the floor around the shelf... the light gives 5' x 5' coverage so I'll have some room to work with

ExtremeBurn said:
I'm just gonna set stuff on the floor around the shelf... the light gives 5' x 5' coverage so I'll have some room to work with

5x5 is definitely the upper limit of the coverage area. I've always seen 4x4 or 3x3. 25sq is a lot more than 16 or 9 sq feet. I guess it all depends on the light requirements of the plants you're growing though. Mine needs to hurry up and get here.....

Txclosetgrower said:
5x5 is definitely the upper limit of the coverage area. I've always seen 4x4 or 3x3. 25sq is a lot more than 16 or 9 sq feet. I guess it all depends on the light requirements of the plants you're growing though. Mine needs to hurry up and get here.....

yeah, I'm just goin off specs sent with the light. i'm anxious to see some results!

ExtremeBurn said:
yeah, I'm just goin off specs sent with the light. i'm anxious to see some results!

Lol, most of the info i get about HID lights comes from pot forums. I know they're all about their watts/sq. ft.

400W

5x5(25sq ft) = 16w/ft^2
4x4(16sq ft) = 25w/ft^2
3x3(9sq ft) = 44.4w/ft^2

Don't know how all that applies to peppers yet, but i imagine it won't be hard to figure out what they like....just ask 'em :lol:

Txclosetgrower said:
Lol, most of the info i get about HID lights comes from pot forums. I know they're all about their watts/sq. ft.

400W

5x5(25sq ft) = 16w/ft^2
4x4(16sq ft) = 25w/ft^2
3x3(9sq ft) = 44.4w/ft^2

Don't know how all that applies to peppers yet, but i imagine it won't be hard to figure out what they like....just ask 'em :lol:

You can find a lot of good info on those pot forums lol :lol:

moyboy said:
I'm sure you've got it all under control but some of those seedlings are very very leggy.....

yeah, i had my fluorescent light to high above them... they're doin better now. i raised it to within an inch of the light a couple weeks ago, now i have them under the agro so they should be ok

I'm confused (nothing new!). THP said posts like this should go in a growing thread. I can read them anyplace (well, there are some sections I rarely visit) but for sake of clarity, should this be moved?

Mike

Nice set up, man.

You are on your way to a great and :mouthonfire: pepper season!!

You may want to ditch the MGro fert though. It does work but in my experience you will sacrifice pod production for vegatative growth. I'm using the foxfarm line this year and so far my experience has been amazing.

PeteyPepper said:
Nice set up, man.

You are on your way to a great and :mouthonfire: pepper season!!

You may want to ditch the MGro fert though. It does work but in my experience you will sacrifice pod production for vegatative growth. I'm using the foxfarm line this year and so far my experience has been amazing.

Thanks man! I was hesitant to use MG... it's a starter fert. I haven't used it yet. Are all MG Ferts bad? I have Dynamite for after I transplant. Do you know if that's any good?

Pam said:
They're looking really nice. What did you decide about fertilizers?

Thanks Pam! I bought some Miracle Gro quick start to help with root development. It has a NPK ratio of 4-12-4. I know lots of people don't like it, but I'm adding a very diluted mix just until I transplant into 4" pots. After I transplant I'm gonna use Dynamite continuous slow release plant food which has a ratio of 13-13-13. Do you think this is a good plan?

ExtremeBurn said:
Thanks Pam! I bought some Miracle Gro quick start to help with root development. It has a NPK ratio of 4-12-4. I know lots of people don't like it, but I'm adding a very diluted mix just until I transplant into 4" pots. After I transplant I'm gonna use Dynamite continuous slow release plant food which has a ratio of 13-13-13. Do you think this is a good plan?

I've never heard of Miracle Grow Quick Start. Sounds like they may be listening to all of us who complain about the high nitrogen in their other products. The Dynamite is new to me, but their web site specifically lists peppers with the one you're planning on using, so I'll be looking forward to your seeing your results. They claim to be environmentally friendly, too.

Pam said:
I've never heard of Miracle Grow Quick Start. Sounds like they may be listening to all of us who complain about the high nitrogen in their other products. The Dynamite is new to me, but their web site specifically lists peppers with the one you're planning on using, so I'll be looking forward to your seeing your results. They claim to be environmentally friendly, too.

Yeah, that's one of the main reasons I bought Dynamite! They've won a few awards for being ecofriendly... we'll see how it works!

Back