smokers Finally, a Smoker I Can Call My Own

Grind some Montreal steak up in a coffee grinder. Full disclosure I haven't ground it up, just used straight out of the bottle, but I think grinding it to a powder would be better.Or you could go with the classic SPOG(salt pepper onion garlic). Even just salt and pepper, brisket doesn't really need much.

These other guys have been bbq'n longer than me, so maybe they have something better for ya.

MikeUSMC said:
HERE WE COME!!!!! :rofl:
attachicon.gif
B2297E3F-488C-4C2E-B0E8-84C9729705CF.gif

attachicon.gif
9CCD202C-4B12-45C5-A612-F886EA938706.gif

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
We’re gonna need a bigger boat, picking up Bhuthead Andy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

stettoman said:
Meat guys are letting calls go to messaging. I know they hired two new cutters last week, so they are BIZZEE. I pulled a brisket out of the freezer for insurance. It'll take the day to thaw, then trim & rub. Quick, someone give me your favorite rub formula so I doesn't has to go to de stoh....
I’ll bring my knives, you just have your steer picked out [emoji16]. We’ll also need a chainfall[emoji16]. We’ll get you your beef [emoji3052]. It’s a new world [emoji16]

stettoman said:
Bring your own toilet paper, guys. Andy, if you make that sound in front of my wife she WILL make you live with a limp...

Also remember, Minnesnotta's good Grand Pooh-Bah and sometimes guv'ner Timmy "Hoffa" Walz sez NO MORE THAN 10 TO A VEHICLE. Someone will have to share the trunk... :party:
Well hell, it just might have to be a CONVOY.

Well gents, it's time to trim & brine. A question:

Separate the point first or do the cook as a packer? I've only done flats in my short smoking career...
1590160802177126903038.jpg

I picked up Meathead's cookbook for tips and such, but my sole source of trusted advice right now is you guys...I'm also considering the Jaccard...

:party: That’s a beautiful sight, Stettoman! :party:

Personally, I’d smoke the whole thing as a packer. Once it’s COMPLETELY done (after the “resting” period), you should be able to separate the point from the flat easily. There’s a thick layer of fat in there, called the “deckle”, that separates the two muscles. That’ll be nice and gelatinous once it’s done, and you could (probably) separate them by hand, possibly without even using a knife. If you wanted to, you could cube up the the point once they’re separated, hit the cubes with a LIGHT dusting of rub, then gently toss them in a little BBQ sauce. Throw them back onto the smoker for another half hour and you’ll have some heavenly burnt ends! Remember you’re going to slice BOTH muscles AGAINST the grain, but the grain on each of them runs OPPOSITE of each other, so you’d rotate the point 90* in relation to the flat to cube it ;)

As far as jaccarding a brisket... I was looking into that a few weeks ago, only to find mixed reviews in my searches. Basically, some people said it didn’t make any difference at all, and others said it works great. What I got from that was: “I guess it couldn’t hurt” :)

MikeUSMC said:
:party: That’s a beautiful sight, Stettoman! :party:

Personally, I’d smoke the whole thing as a packer. Once it’s COMPLETELY done (after the “resting” period), you should be able to separate the point from the flat easily. There’s a thick layer of fat in there, called the “deckle”, that separates the two muscles. That’ll be nice and gelatinous once it’s done, and you could (probably) separate them by hand, possibly without even using a knife. If you wanted to, you could cube up the the point once they’re separated, hit the cubes with a LIGHT dusting of rub, then gently toss them in a little BBQ sauce. Throw them back onto the smoker for another half hour and you’ll have some heavenly burnt ends! Remember you’re going to slice BOTH muscles AGAINST the grain, but the grain on each of them runs OPPOSITE of each other, so you’d rotate the point 90* in relation to the flat to cube it ;)

As far as jaccarding a brisket... I was looking into that a few weeks ago, only to find mixed reviews in my searches. Basically, some people said it didn’t make any difference at all, and others said it works great. What I got from that was: “I guess it couldn’t hurt” :)

Yah Mike, I did a little reading since my last post too. Couldn't find any firm support for the jaccard, so I'll skip that. Also remember, this is an Angus brisket, not the Wagyu/Angus cross. I've put this one off for way too long, and I need the freezer space for impending meatness...Awful glad I have a holiday to cook for!

And I like the whole packer smoke, I only hope it will fit on a 12 X 12 inch grate, or else I'll be cutting a chunk off for the second shelf...

I spent an hour while trimming fat watching Harry Soo tell me how to do it, then Dawgfatha. Two fairly differing ideas. I know Rob likes to wet his pork ribs with mustard before the rub goes on, it looks like a good idea for a brisket too...

So she's trimmed and Himalaya pink salted, no brining. Gonna stay in the beer fridge till EARLY Sunday morning, then the fun begins. After that I have a couple pork bellies that need some inventive cooking...Egad, there are a lot of rubs out there, the Montreal idea sounds good, might have to add some more cracked peppercorn and celery seed....

I'm blowing off the jaccard on this one, it doesn't seem to apply

Yep. Difference between literally trimming thousands of briskets and the occasional backyard smoker warrior.

There is an episode of chef show on Netflix where Jon favaro and Roy Choi visit with him .

Jon trims a brisket while Aaron talks him through, really good visuals of process.

BTW Trim is good minced and added to burger mix or in a smoked chilli . No need to waste most of it.

stettoman said:

Yah Mike, I did a little reading since my last post too. Couldn't find any firm support for the jaccard, so I'll skip that. Also remember, this is an Angus brisket, not the Wagyu/Angus cross. I've put this one off for way too long, and I need the freezer space for impending meatness...Awful glad I have a holiday to cook for!

And I like the whole packer smoke, I only hope it will fit on a 12 X 12 inch grate, or else I'll be cutting a chunk off for the second shelf...

I spent an hour while trimming fat watching Harry Soo tell me how to do it, then Dawgfatha. Two fairly differing ideas. I know Rob likes to wet his pork ribs with mustard before the rub goes on, it looks like a good idea for a brisket too...

So she's trimmed and Himalaya pink salted, no brining. Gonna stay in the beer fridge till EARLY Sunday morning, then the fun begins. After that I have a couple pork bellies that need some inventive cooking...Egad, there are a lot of rubs out there, the Montreal idea sounds good, might have to add some more cracked peppercorn and celery seed....

I'm blowing off the jaccard on this one, it doesn't seem to apply
here is another rub for you. i`ve used it quite a few times and it`s good.  i add to this a half a tsp (sometimes a whole tsp) of serrano powder or whatever i feel like adding for extra heat.

Like some of you hardcore young-pup cooks out there. I did not pull an all-nighter to start my cook. Instead I tossed and turned all night thinking of rubs, cook times, heat regulation, and shit...

...Up at 4:00, bumbled around for way too long, finally got 'er in the smoker by 6...I did have to cut a large chunk of flat to fit, but that may be a saving grace. That B&B chunk oak coal is PERFECT. I've been running at 235-250 F for three and a half hours now.

I don't want to get caught and spanked for cross-posting, but I likely will; I'm also posting the cook on the TD thread...

http://thehotpepper.com/topic/73751-begin-quarantine-throwdown-special-edition/page-2

Stall? What stall?
20200524_125756.jpg

The smaller flat was @ 217°, so I did the Crutch and stuck it in a foil-lined Igloo.
1590343699726165815998.jpg

I'm wondering if the packer end should still go in a crutch or just let it continue as is...I'll be checking temp at half hour intervals....

Now who said this ain't fun?

Back