• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Ga GH's 2014 - The beginning

So it's official.

13866529297480.jpg

The 2014 season has just begun.

I planted the first six, on the right, 7 days ago. The second six a few days later.
13866529539951.jpg

First up is c. pubescen Canario.

More details later.

GA Growhead said:
Search 3.5 deep square pots on eBay. It's from grower's solutions out of Tenn. I search for a while and that was the best deal I could find. Cheaper on ebay than their site and got free shipping on ebay too! It was a case of 450 for $74. Ended up with just over 475 when counted (had to count them :) ), so about 16¢ a piece... which isn't bad. Pretty durable, so should last many years. They are about the size of of a solo cup. Definitely fit nicer together than the cups which is much needed. And fit 18 in a standard 1020 tray! Well worth it.

[SIZE=11.818181991577148px]+1 on Grower's Solution. I thought those looked familiar. I didn't buy as many pots but I bought the socket trays for them. They do look like a more durable grade of plastic[/SIZE]

Yeah my solo cups fit kinda wonky in my trays, also those deep pots are 24oz! thats solo cup + another half, and cheaper too. I will probably return my p80s and get the p86 deeps like you. Nice find they are about 10$ cheaper on ebay than their website. thx a lot
GA Growhead said:
Search 3.5 deep square pots on eBay. It's from grower's solutions out of Tenn. I search for a while and that was the best deal I could find. Cheaper on ebay than their site and got free shipping on ebay too! It was a case of 450 for $74. Ended up with just over 475 when counted (had to count them :) ), so about 16¢ a piece... which isn't bad. Pretty durable, so should last many years. They are about the size of of a solo cup. Definitely fit nicer together than the cups which is much needed. And fit 18 in a standard 1020 tray! Well worth it.

Jason, all the plants look very nice. Good score on the pots too. I have a decent pile of 3.5" pots and have been looking to get more. Those deep ones look like they might be just perfect. Do they end up top heavy in the standard trays?

stc3248 said:
Wonderful pics J!!! I was beginning to wonder if you ever sleep! Lol...heck it's getting late here and it's already tomorrow there!
Barely getting enough sleep lately. That is for sure. Hoping to get to bed early tonight. More potting seedlings after dinners ready though!
JJJessee said:
+1 on Grower's Solution. I thought those looked familiar. I didn't buy as many pots but I bought the socket trays for them. They do look like a more durable grade of plastic
I'm really happy with them. Bought the case thinking I can always Craigslist the extras, but already have that many plants. I saw yours and was wondering if they were the same. :)
OKGrowin said:
Yeah my solo cups fit kinda wonky in my trays, also those deep pots are 24oz! thats solo cup + another half, and cheaper too. I will probably return my p80s and get the p86 deeps like you. Nice find they are about 10$ cheaper on ebay than their website. thx a lot
Cheaper and I got free shipping!
Didn't know the fl oz. Thanks! good to know!
PaulG said:
Your grow is looking very good, Jason!  
I especially like the pubescens plants, really nice!
Thanks Paul! They are beautiful!
Jeff H said:
Jason, all the plants look very nice. Good score on the pots too. I have a decent pile of 3.5" pots and have been looking to get more. Those deep ones look like they might be just perfect. Do they end up top heavy in the standard trays?
Not top heavy yet Jeff. More stable than I thought they would be. will let you know once the plants get bigger.
maximumcapsicum said:
Love all the flower shots! How big are they getting before they start to bud? Great pigmentation on the jalabenero!
I agree on the jalabanero!
And her brother all green next to her. :)
About 7 or 8 sets of leaves before splitting, and bud at that point!
meatfreak said:
Wow, thanks for the pictures, Jason. Beautiful plants and great to see the color variation in the leaves within each type of variety. Really looking forward to the outcome of the P. Lisa and Jalabanero and of course your entire massive grow!
I am looking forward to all the plants expecially those two. :D
Will keep you posted!

What are you thinking for plantout Jason? I've been eyeing the nightly temps and in think we may get there by the last week of March. Better start thinking about soil amendments.

Pimenta Lisa. Stem split into two growths at some point.
13949069742170.jpg

13949070877641.jpg

Cuttings of cuttings. bbg7 #1
13949072458133.jpg

Pubescens flowers.
13949073181134.jpg

13949074007905.jpg

Middle shelf. Early starts ready for the outdoor life.
13949075734047.jpg

13949075002846.jpg

Bottom shelf. Full!
13949071891852.jpg

Got my round two planted, but nothing up yet.
Still working on the hoop cover to get the early starts out. Hoping this was the last freeze of the season this last week.
It's nice today outside!
Happy weekend!

Jeff H said:
Looking great Jason. Should be a great year for you. What is the plant count and when are they going outside?
Thanks Jeff. Hoping for the best. Current count of plants is 460+. Just put down another 300 to 400 seeds in round two. Mostly annuums and other chinenses that I never got to. Will keep about 350 to 400 for the garden out of everything, and pawn/gift off the rest. :)

maximumcapsicum said:
Looking great Jason! I too think this was our last freeze. Gonna start moving everyone out doors in pots at least next weekend for hardening off, then it's in ground time. New Dirty South's gonna start heatin' up!
I hope the freezes are over. I'm up in the hills, so high elevation, so always a few degrees colder than you in the city. Getting the hoop cover up should help keep me going. Been preparing the spot today!

Devv said:
Looking really good Jason!

Busy time coming up!
Looking forward to it! Thanks Scott!

capsidadburn said:
Nice looking plants Jason!  Love the fuzzy fat bloom pubescens!

Have a great weekend!

Mike
They are beautiful! Many of them are also vine like in growth. Way cool!

JJJessee said:
Looks like they are ready to rock and roll. Those tall plants look pretty robust for a small pot, whats you feedin' 'em?
Those are in MG moisture control. Haven't feed them anything. In 3.5" squares and not caring at all. Pulled one out and there are plenty of roots, but not root bound by any means yet. I have never had plants get this big in these pots with out showing signs of being root bound. I am going to pot them up soon and move outside. Hopefully next weekend. May have to trim a few back beforehand. :)

A tray from the top shelf. 1 of 4.5.
13949470618360.jpg

Fatalii Cream
13949471051130.jpg

Guam Boonies
13949471823771.jpg

Pulled everything down from the top shelf. Trimmed the leaves to keep from shadowing its neighbors. Watered and put back. Then pulled out the giants on the second shelf. Ended up trimming back a few plants. Stood in glory of the beautiful pubescens. Then put everything back, watered and happy. A bit more space now.
:D
maximumcapsicum said:
Nice! How long you planning on using the hoops? I was probably gonna skip it but it may be significantly warmer down here.
Just till mid to late April. Hoping I won't need it into May.
Very short term, but should be able to reconstruct come winter to extend a bit.
Mainly need to make some room inside and still lower 40s in the forecast at night for a couple more weeks, so need to do it.
The city is so much warmer, all the concrete to store heat from the sun. You should be good sooner than I for sure!
Today's extended forecast for me shows just above freezing on march 25th, and night time temps staying around 50°F starting April 15th, tax day.
That just happens to be the date we usually plant out here on a normal, if there is a such, year.
Still hoping for a late winter too!

Back