• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Ga GH's 2014 - The beginning

So it's official.

13866529297480.jpg

The 2014 season has just begun.

I planted the first six, on the right, 7 days ago. The second six a few days later.
13866529539951.jpg

First up is c. pubescen Canario.

More details later.

You made me go count,  I have 119 peppers in the garden and about 25 I need to put in pots and raised beds.

So I'm already wondering what I'm going to do with all the peppers, and you're planting 350-400? You are going to be busy my friend!

Yeah the weather went south these last few days, cooler than forecast and 48° forecast for Tuesday, which I can live with.

Nice list, I think you have it covered!

How close do you plant? I went with 4' between rows and 3' between plants, the Bac's and Annuums are closer together. You are going to have quite the jungle!

Devv said:
You made me go count, I have 119 peppers in the garden and about 25 I need to put in pots and raised beds.

So I'm already wondering what I'm going to do with all the peppers, and you're planting 350-400? You are going to be busy my friend!

Yeah the weather went south these last few days, cooler than forecast and 48° forecast for Tuesday, which I can live with.

Nice list, I think you have it covered!

How close do you plant? I went with 4' between rows and 3' between plants, the Bac's and Annuums are closer together. You are going to have quite the jungle!
Gotta love that forecast, aye? They are saying 38°F for the low on Wednesday now. And some nights into the lower 40s till May. I'm a bit hesitant to plant out with the night time temps that low. I'm always a few degrees cooler here than forecasted, so may get some shock. Looks like I might be using the hoop structure after all.
Last year I planted from 12" to 18" apart down the rows, alternating diagonally. Closer with the like varieties.
I ended up really having five rows going down. Left to right, from fence to fence measures like this: 1' ditch, 3' raised, 1.5' ditch, 3' raised, 1.5' ditch, & 2' raised against the fence. In both 3' raised rows I planted two rows a foot or so apart, and the rows alternated going down. The two foot row was single file. That gives me 2.5' to 3' between the plants going down the rows and the 12 to 18 from centers. Ends up being one giant row as they grow in to each other, supporting each other as well. The bottom section runs perpendicular with four rows, but going to make a 5th by removing the fence between the two sections. Thinking of making the new rows the same 3' width, as that worked out well for packing in more plants while giving them more root space. Maybe more space between rows though!
Did well enough at the flea market last year, should be able to get rid of them just fine. And powered and sauce the rest!
Thanks on the list. Covered should be right. :)
HillBilly Jeff said:

Lets just say when it blooms, they can see it from the International Space Station.
I need to request a picture for the wall. ;)

I'm surprised that your overnight low temps. are so close to mine Jason. Things are gradually warming up though... My OW scallions and Garlic Chives are starting to grow new tops now, so I'll be transplanting the Onions outside this week. When we get overnight lows in the 40s I'll set up the low row cover and planting the Nightshades underneath.
Cheers!

GA Growhead said:
What has germinated so far....

C. Annuums-
Ancho Mulato
Ancient Sweet
Bell - California Wonder 300TMR
Bell - Sweet Chocolate
Cherry Pepper - Hungarian hot
Cherry Pepper - Large Hot
Chiltepin Amarillo
Facing Heaven
Fish Pepper
Goats Weed
Golden Marconi
Guam Boonies
Jalapeño Cracked
Jalapeño Dark Red
Jalapeño El Jefe
Jalapeño Goliath
Jalapeño Jumbo
Jalapeño Purple
Jalapeño TAM
Jamaican Yellow Mushroom
Kitchen Pepper Peach
Lolita
Lumbre Anaheim
New Mex - Big Jim
New Mex - Joe E. Parker
Pasilla Bajio
Peter Pepper Orange
Pretty Purple
Purple Tiger (tri-color Vareigata)
Purple Tiger Not (mystery cross F2 from Brent)
Rooster Spur
Santa fe Grande
Thai - Orange Hot
Thai - Orange Large
Thai - Yellow Hot
Twilight
Wild Tepin
Wild Texas Tepin

C. Baccatum
Aji Amarillo
Aji Limon
Aji Pineapple
Aji White Fantasy
Birgit Loco
Blonde
Brazilian Starfish
CGN 22181 (Yellow Bouquet)

C. Chacoense-
CAP 501
CAP 501 x Donnie Sali (F1)

C. Chinense-
Aji Charapita
Bahamian Goat Pepper
Bhut Jolokia Caramel
Bhut Jolokia Chocolate
Bhut Jolokia Chocolate x Douglah (F2)
Bhut Jolokia Peach
Bhut Jolokia Peach - Saved - Med  Pheno
Bhut Jolokia Peach - Saved - Huge Hab Pheno
Bhut Jolokia Peach - Saved - True Pheno
Bhut Jolokia Giant Red
Bhut Jolokia Red
Bhut Jolokia Red - 2008
Bhut Jolokia White
Bhut Jolokia White Not (Sawyers Yellow Brainy Looking Bhut)
Bhut Jolokia Yellow
Bhut Orange Copenhagen
Bhut x Douglah (2012)
Bhutlah - Brown SLP
Bih Jolokia Caramel
Black Naga
Bonda Ma Jacques
Britos Mystery Peach (F4)
Brown Egg
Brown Moruga
Bubblegum 7 #1 Mutant Calyx
Bubblegum 7 #2
Bubblegum 7 #4
Carolina Reaper
Carolina reaper - The Reaper
Carolina Reaper cross (F1)
CGN 21500
CGN 23257
Chintexle
Cornish Naga
Daisy Cutter Orange
Datil
Devils Tongue - White
Elysium Oxide Bonnet
Fatalii
Fatalii - Cream
Georgia Black
Habanero - Giant White
Habanero - Giant White (PaulG Version)
Habanero - Jamaican Hot Chocolate
Habanero - JellyBean White
Habanero - Mustard
Habanero - Orange Blob F2
Habanero - Peruvian White
Habanero - West Indies red
Habanero - Yellow
Harolds St. Bart
Hurricane
JAFSH
Jalabanero (F5) [possible F2 cross]
Jays Ghost Scorpion Peach (F5)
Jays Ghost Scorpion Red (F5)
Jigsaw (Fatalii Gourmet)
King Naga
Pimenta Lisa (Meatfreaks Mystery PDN Cross)
Mystery Brown Bumpy
Mystery Green/Olive/Mustard
Naga Viper (Isolated)
Naglah - Brown
Not Choc Scorpion - Red (Melissa via Pia)
Not TS CARDI Yellow (Lemon Habanero pheno)
PI-441598 x Unknown Cross - Peach Pheno (F3 & F4)
Pimenta de Neyde
Pimenta De Neyde x Naga Suomi (F3)
Pink Tiger
Pixie - Yellow
SBJ7
Scotch Bonnet - CostoRician
Scotch Bonnet - Foodarama
Scotch Bonnet - Freeport Orange
Scotch Bonnet - MOA (Isolated)
Scotch Bonnet - Trinidad Brown
Scotch Bonnet - True Jamaican
Scotch Bonnet - Trin Red Lrg X Trin Congo Red
Scotch Bonnet  - Yellow SB x 7 Pot Yellow Brainstrain (F2)
Sepia Serpent (F5)
St Lucia Red Seasoning
Tobago Scotch Bonnet - Red
Tobago Scotch Bonnet - Yellow
Tobago Seasoning
Tobago Treasure - Yellow
Trinidad 7 Brown x naga
Trinidad 7 Pot - Rennie (Jamisons 2013)
Trinidad 7 Pot - Rennie Brown
Trinidad 7 Pot 007
Trinidad 7 Pot Barrackpore
Trinidad 7 Pot Barrackpore Chocolate #2
Trinidad 7 Pot Brown - Bonnet shaped
Trinidad 7 Pot Brown Cross (?)
Trinidad 7 Pot Burgundy
Trinidad 7 Pot Caramel (Saved seeds from Burgundy Not - via Sawyer)
Trinidad 7 Pot Congo SR Gigantic Red
Trinidad 7 pot Jonah - Red Thimble Shaped
Trinidad 7 pot Jonah - Yellow Thimble Shaped
Trinidad 7 Pot Jonah Yellow
Trinidad 7 Pot L
Trinidad 7 pot Madballz (rusty)
Trinidad 7 Pot Peach (Saved seeds from Burgundy Not - via Sawyer)
Trinidad 7 Pot Peanut Red
Trinidad 7 Pot Primo
Trinidad 7 Pot Primo - Orange
Trinidad 7 Pot Rust (Saved seeds from Brown Not)
Trinidad 7 Pot SR Red
Trinidad 7 Pot White (SLP Version)
Trinidad 7 Pot Yellow Brain (Red pheno)
Trinidad 7 Pot Yellow Brain Strain
Trinidad 7 Pot Yellow Large
Trinidad 7 Pot Yellow Original
Trinidad 7 Pot Yellow SR
Trinidad Douglah
Trinidad Perfume
Trinidad Scorpion Butch T - Yellow
Trinidad Scorpion CARDI - yellow
Trinidad Scorpion Chocolate (two sources)
Trinidad Scorpion Green
Trinidad Scorpion Moruga Blend Red
Trinidad Scorpion Moruga Blend x Bhut Jolokia Red(F2)
Trinidad Scorpion Moruga Caramel
Trinidad Scorpion Moruga Chocolate
Trinidad Scorpion Orange (Buckeye Version)
Trinidad Scorpion Red Original
Trinidad Scorpion Sunrise
Trinidad Scorpion Sweet
Trinidad Smooth
UBSC - Unknown Brain Strain Cross (F?)
Wild Brazil

C. Frutescen
Donni Sali
Lota Bih
Tobasco x Mystery C. Chinense (F2)

C. praetermissum-
Cumari Pollux

C. Pubescens-
Brown Rocoto
Canario
Giant Rocoto
Manzano Yellow
Mini Rocoto
Rocoto Inca

Around 730 plants total at the moment with more spouting still from round 2.

Enjoy Sunday before it's gone!
Wow!  Great list.  Good luck with your 2014 grow.

stickman said:
I'm surprised that your overnight low temps. are so close to mine Jason. Things are gradually warming up though... My OW scallions and Garlic Chives are starting to grow new tops now, so I'll be transplanting the Onions outside this week. When we get overnight lows in the 40s I'll set up the low row cover and planting the Nightshades underneath.
Cheers!
Well Rick, just a night or two here then back up in mid 40s to low 50s. The temperature has been jumping up and down, just above and below my comfort zone for the capsicums, for a good few weeks now.
Hoping it will stay above 50°F soon.
Glad to here the signs are showing, that spring is making it's way north to you! Get the ground covered and the row cover up!
buddy said:
Wow!  Great list.  Good luck with your 2014 grow.
Thanks Buddy! Same to you!
Jeff H said:
That is a hugely impressive list there Jason.
Thanks Jeff. Many new to me varieties on the list this season. The goal was to have more mid and lower heat types. I think I did well. There were a few things that didn't make it on the list for one reason or another. Saving those for next year.

Also...
Realized I left TFM scotch bonnet off the list. I know I have 6 or more of them.
& also had my first CAP 501 x Donnie Sali (F¹) break the soil today. :party:

Man, that Reaper cross look Very Mean, what's he crossed with? With a list that big you must have a good couple if acres to grow on. Tried to talk the wife into looking at some houses that were on 5 acres when we were looking. She says You don't keep up with cutting this little yard, how are you going to keep 5 acres of grass mowed? I said who said it was going to be 5 acres if grass?

;)

RocketMan said:
Man, that Reaper cross look Very Mean, what's he crossed with? With a list that big you must have a good couple if acres to grow on. Tried to talk the wife into looking at some houses that were on 5 acres when we were looking. She says You don't keep up with cutting this little yard, how are you going to keep 5 acres of grass mowed? I said who said it was going to be 5 acres if grass?

;)
Yeah Bill! That cross should be a hot one. Keeping it hush hush for a bit. My project for next year. ;)
I'm on just over an acre. Packing them in tight. Will only keep one or two of most, and a handful of the ones I favor. Still will be a yard full. I'm loosing grass for garden! A good trade off!

I have been under the weather trying to pass a kidney stone for most of this week. Yes. Not full at all! Really got at me the last few days. Painful is an understatement.
Was slacking on the plants because of... and might have lost one or two. You gotta water them things or they die, you know!
Pulled the pubescens out of the middle shelf and they are sitting in the shade enjoying the real world. Hardening off! Yeah!
Found a jigsaw pod way in back of the middle shelf. Pretty badass looking.
Hoping to get more outside to harden and start potting up this weekend. Maybe put a few in the ground even.

That reaper cross looks freaking fantastic! Absolutely love it! Looks better than the real deal if you ask me! Kinda like you took some sandpaper and knocked the spices off a Bhut Indian Carbon...will be watching that one brotha! 730 and still sprouting...lol.

stc3248 said:
That reaper cross looks freaking fantastic! Absolutely love it! Looks better than the real deal if you ask me! Kinda like you took some sandpaper and knocked the spices off a Bhut Indian Carbon...will be watching that one brotha! 730 and still sprouting...lol.
Yep Shane. In over my head a bit. Will have all I need and plenty of extras.
That's a good thing right?

I like that description of the cross! I'm really liking the outcome. Hoping for that texture in F2s!
heefy said:
Mean looking reaper. Wow!
Thanks heffy! It's a somewhat secret cross I'm playing with. Actually that flower was hit with some pimenta de neyde pollen, so another cross to play with. Should really be all over the place once those seeds are grown out! Sounds fun already.

Got some amendments in the mail today. Found a place with flat rate shipping for 40lbs max. Ordered these with some azomite (2 lb) and got a few free seeds too. $11.99 flat shipping seemed worth it considering the weight. Would have been $20 plus else where. Pm me with you have trouble finding these things in your area, and I will send you there.
13972521438830.jpg

Gotta grab some perlite tomorrow and I'm good to go on my soil mix.

I really like the look of that Reaper cross! Just plain badass gnarly!

Nice score on the amendments too!

Heres hoping the weather straightens out, we're showing a low of 40° Wednesday morning. What's with that? I'm sure yet more wind....enough whining..LOL The gals will have to deal with it.

Enjoy the weekend!

Sorry to hear about the stone man! That is rough. Hope it doesn't last much longer.

Amendments look good. Too bad they didn't have what you needed at Atlantis. Just swing by there for some support materials and fabric pots. Only got two plants for adoption now... Just have to decide which two...

Devv said:
I really like the look of that Reaper cross! Just plain badass gnarly!

Nice score on the amendments too!

Heres hoping the weather straightens out, we're showing a low of 40° Wednesday morning. What's with that? I'm sure yet more wind....enough whining..LOL The gals will have to deal with it.

Enjoy the weekend!
Low 40s again? Isn't supposed to in the 90s by now there? As a low temp? :P

Happy weekend to you too!
maximumcapsicum said:
Sorry to hear about the stone man! That is rough. Hope it doesn't last much longer.

Amendments look good. Too bad they didn't have what you needed at Atlantis. Just swing by there for some support materials and fabric pots. Only got two plants for adoption now... Just have to decide which two...
Thanks Adam. Last night was awful. Couldn't decide if I was dying or wanted to die. It was bad. Better today but still not done with it unfortunately.
I never made in downtown on the amendments search, and didn't want to wait. I'm sure they would have those, will check... Cause I actually need to go by there tomorrow for some perlite and will end up in little five at my buddy's shop afterwards.
You need anything? Can bring you some chili powder. More plants? :D :crazy:

Glad you are making room for all but two. That's an accomplishment on it's own.

I loaded up on pain meds to deal with the kidney stone pain and got some stuff done today. Bought and built two more raised beds for the others veggies. Have the wood for a third ready to go. That will be five 4x8 beds total once the last is together. Still looking to add two more after that. Gotta get some good soil delivered now.
&
Potted up the pubescens.
13972637590394.jpg

Pine cone... I mean canario pod. :)
13972636761843.jpg

Another something.
13972636154092.jpg

Giant rocoto flower I think
13972635567461.jpg

Brown rocoto flower
13972634721580.jpg

Have them off to the side, hardening off.
More to do tomorrow!

Happy weekend!

Back