• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Ga GH's 2014 - The beginning

So it's official.

13866529297480.jpg

The 2014 season has just begun.

I planted the first six, on the right, 7 days ago. The second six a few days later.
13866529539951.jpg

First up is c. pubescen Canario.

More details later.

Awesome Adam! Those look legit!

The organic mix I'm making is turning out great. The first plants I put in it are way happy! I have always had issues with container plants though out the season. I'm thinking I beat that with this mix. Time will tell, but everything in it is amazing so far.
Root pouches/fabric pots are awesome too. You will want those.
Down for the meet up!

Love the cut stem shot of the Bubblegum 7 pod really cool trait this pepper has and doesn't hurt it's a superhot pepper to boot.  The stem only turns when the  peppers is overly ripe as you must leave the pepper on the plant past being ripe for the stem to fully turn.  Really great glog you have going this year.  Hope to add more comments as I catch up reading all 30 pages.  Good to have a group of really talented growers to compare notes with.

Devv said:

Well to me, a while back you said you had a cross, but didn't let on to what it was. Maybe I should have used secret cross :drooling:
You are correct Scott. I had been keeping the reaper cross on the down low. No mystery of the pollen donor parent by plant #2, which I am more interested in. It is leaning toward the other side of the cross. Putting some seeds down as soon as a pod ripens to grow inside over winter.
meatfreak said:
Nice update again, Jason. Those BBG7's are looking great. Very jealous of all the growing space you have :D Awesome plot of peppers!
Thanks Stefan. I moved outside the city so I could get some land. I real like my property. The back of the house faces south too, so prefect sun across the backyard.
Thought about you yesterday...
The PI-441598 cross f3 is starting to throw out pods shaped much like the F2. The overwintered F2 now has pods. Will have to get a pict of the two side by side.

Pepper Ridge Farm said:
Love the cut stem shot of the Bubblegum 7 pod really cool trait this pepper has and doesn't hurt it's a superhot pepper to boot.  The stem only turns when the  peppers is overly ripe as you must leave the pepper on the plant past being ripe for the stem to fully turn.  Really great glog you have going this year.  Hope to add more comments as I catch up reading all 30 pages.  Good to have a group of really talented growers to compare notes with.
Thank you Cappy. Name's Jason btw.
I was reading the board, compulsively, around the time you split. Pretty sure that was before I joined. I was hitting chilligrowers also at that time to peak your grows. Mad respect! Awesome grows you have shared! Really good to see you back around!
The bubblegums are super cool! Really neat mutation.
I ended up with two different phenos on three true plants last year. One with thicker calyxes than the other.
I kept cuttings from all three and have them inside under T5s since last fall.
I have been letting the pods sit till the calyxes really turn red. It's neat how the red goes up the inside of the stem.
I let one go for long enough that it left a red spot on the branch, where the pod breaks off.
And you aren't kidding about them being a super. Mine are fire!
I am looking forward to seeing the next generation pod up. The ones in the garden finally are showing signs of growth since transplanting.
Thanks on the glog and also putting me on the talented grower list. ;) and glad to share the info and love.
Hope I don't bore you too much with thirty pages of catch up. Just skip to the post with Picts. ;)
stickman said:
I particularly like the pics of the mini Rocoto... Good job Jason! Things are really taking off for you now. :)
That one is such a neat plant Rick! I'm suggesting it for just it's look and growth right now. Can't wait to eat one.
Final taking off. I was starting to get worried. I feel like I am behind farther than i really am because of the cooler wet early spring. Well that and it taking me forever to deal with all these plants!
I see your removing the cover on the chinenses! Things are happening for you too now!

Jamison said:
You know, I know bud!  Don't want to give it away tho ;)
There are clues thru out that pretty much calls it. I hinted pretty hard in between the lines. :) Might have to give some kind of a prize to the first correct guess.
Plant #1 is starting to put out serious reaper tails on the newest baby pods. Better than any pod I had last year, out of all my reaper plants.
OCD Chilehead said:
Cool pod fist pic. Awesome BBG7 pics. The halved pepper shots made my mouth salivate. Nice mix you got going on, that's a lot of fresh castings.

Thanks for the great pics as always. Have a good week.

Chuck
Thanks Chuck.
Digged the fist pod too. Didn't even notice when I gave it to him.
I am thankful to have the natural worn pile. Everything washes down the driveway and off to the side ditch. It collects pine straw and leaves in a pile, that's about six feet up the angled concrete ditche's wall. There are ivy roots all though the bottom part. I always dig on the top couple feet and never make a dent. It piles back up each season.
And huge worms thru out.
I bought some worm casting before and there is no difference, minus the roots and random pine cone partially broke down. I grabbed another 5 gal buck full today.
You have any bbg7s growing this year?

Yeah. Fresh castings. What a resource. I have read great things about vermicompost as well. Wish we had some of that around here too. BBG7? No I don't. I wish I did. I was going to buy some plants at the last minute, but didn't. Figured I had enough plants. Found out you could never have enough plants. LOL. It's definitely on the top of my list for next year. Making a list. Planning next years grow already. Crazy. I know.

Thanks again.

GA Growhead said:
Dug up some worm castings from the bottom of the driveway ditch. Free is good!
14040172052001.jpg

Added some peat and perlite. Then mixed in a couple cups of this.
14040172411282.jpg

Mixed. Six different times today. 2 cu ft each time.

I`m going to take a wild guess and say shotgun clays.

So what is your mix if I may ask. Besides earth worm castings and perlite and peat?

Love the Bubble gum slice view Jason!  Your pics are always beautiful! 

The BBG7's and the BOC I got from you are starting to set pods now, just in time too.   Looking forward to them.

The snake you questioned about in my glog was a Rhinocerous viper and I think one of three types of Puff Adder.  It is venomous! I thought it was a nice pic for being behind glass.  Here's the original not cropped for close up.

Have a great week!

HurtsGood said:

I`m going to take a wild guess and say shotgun clays.

So what is your mix if I may ask. Besides earth worm castings and perlite and peat?
There is an organic fert with all kind of goodies, like feather meal and cotton seed meal with many pro bacteria and fungi, plus more kelp meal, alfalfa meal, neem seed meal, and crab meal w/crushed shells.
capsidadburn said:
Love the Bubble gum slice view Jason!  Your pics are always beautiful! 

The BBG7's and the BOC I got from you are starting to set pods now, just in time too.   Looking forward to them.

The snake you questioned about in my glog was a Rhinocerous viper and I think one of three types of Puff Adder.  It is venomous! I thought it was a nice pic for being behind glass.  Here's the original not cropped for close up.

Have a great week!
Cool snake! Very good pict of it.
Puff adders are no joke! Wondering what purpose the horns are for.

maximumcapsicum said:
Nice! Interesting variant... May be worth isolating?
Seriously! A cool find.

OCD Chilehead said:
Congrats on Rocoto pod. Will still be a tasty morsel of stuffed pepper, even if it is yellow.
Thanks Chuck!
I do like me some yellow pods!

About to max out photos here. :)

The wife scored me some more pots! Will be keeping some more plants!
14043592267940.jpg

BTW...
Anyone in the metro Atlanta area needs some plants, PM me!

Been making some aact. Applied my first batch today. Started another batch right behind it.
14043593056041.jpg

Some more pods starting to ripen.
14045314576230.jpg

Jamison's Rennie 7 cutting had a few pods and I didn't notice till the other day.
14045314760141.jpg

Lots of pods on the reaper cross.
14045315963912.jpg

A few of the new pods have stringers, not tails like a reaper, but still cool.
14045316551703.jpg

One of the jigsaws getting some color. I mixed them up, I have three total, so not sure which one gave me a pod already. Pretty sure not this one.
14045317414394.jpg

Another jigsaw with some damage. Grass hopper damage maybe.
14045318152825.jpg

First Donni sali pod.
14045318644716.jpg

And have been getting a few Guam Boonie pods already. Nice little pods with a quick burst of heat and nice flavor!
14045319087137.jpg

Need a bump

Back