• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Ga GH's 2014 - The beginning

So it's official.

13866529297480.jpg

The 2014 season has just begun.

I planted the first six, on the right, 7 days ago. The second six a few days later.
13866529539951.jpg

First up is c. pubescen Canario.

More details later.

megamoo said:
Nice start to your grow. :)   I'll keep watching this one.

Great germination rates on the Pubes!  I sowed 4 different varieties of pubes, some with 8 seeds each and ended up with 1 solitary plant.  First time growing them this season, I guess they need different treatment.
What's up Mega! I didn't treat them any different. I think it was just the seeds. I'm guessing the pods need to be overly ripe for the seeds to be mature. It's almost impossible to tell if a seed is bad or not with the black seeds casing. So I don't know, but mine popped just like the others.
Hope that one goes ballistic for ya!

I was able to get the extra peat pellets I needed. They finally put the garden stuff out at one if the stores by me. Bought a ton, hopefully more than I need.

Went ahead and boughtba 72 starter tray. Got them nice and wet and expanded.

13901020034533.jpg

Also another 42 here.

13901020121664.jpg

That's 114 to fluff and fill tomorrow. Will do three or four seeds, per variety, per pellet.

I have lost one plant after transplanting. A reaper cross. I didn't do as I would have liked and was rushed to go out to dinner that night. Also noticing the soil is looking a bit on the warm side. Guys are showing this. They will survive though!

13901019916292.jpg

13901019319361.jpg

That one brown bhutlah SLP is definitely the winner! It's a beast! Out growing all the others!

13901020280555.jpg

Thought I would share these beauties!
I pulled out two frozen pods for dinner tonight. Two Giant white habs!
13901018627670.jpg

Happy Saturday Night!

Nice progress Jason! 114 pods to fluff... You're gonna be busy.

What is warm side for the soil? I'm worried I am keeping my tray too warm... Germination has been a bit slow, one one of 32 after 8 days.

maximumcapsicum said:
Nice progress Jason! 114 pods to fluff... You're gonna be busy.

What is warm side for the soil? I'm worried I am keeping my tray too warm... Germination has been a bit slow, one one of 32 after 8 days.
It appears the soil on the hot side fertilizer wise. It's just some MG MC soil that I had, that hasn't ever been outside (bug free!).
And the germination begins!
That's awesome Adam!

Spicegeist said:
Sorry to hear about your little loss... the rest look great though.
Thank you Charles. I hurried and broke the tap root on that one. Was hoping it would pull thru.

Forgot to mention...
That I got a few seeds in the mail yesterday to add to the ever growing list!
Thank you Denniz!

GA Growhead said:
Thought I would share these beauties!
I pulled out two frozen pods for dinner tonight. Two Giant white habs!
13901018627670.jpg

These look really white.  I haven't grown any white peppers yet.  I'm curious about White Bhuts, but don't know how white they really are.  I'll see what people grow this year and pick something to grow in 2015.

Devv said:
Looking good Jason!

How many plants total this year?
Going for around 350. Starting way more of course.
Thanks Scott :)
Spicegeist said:

These look really white.  I haven't grown any white peppers yet.  I'm curious about White Bhuts, but don't know how white they really are.  I'll see what people grow this year and pick something to grow in 2015.
These were pretty white to a more ivory yellow depending if they were in direct sun or not. Not as white as some of the white bhut photos I have seen. Those are on my list, so will hopefully see for myself how white they get.

Devv said:
I see you're a gluten for punishment!

I know you have to love it or it wouldn't happen...
Love to and crazy enough. :crazy:
maximumcapsicum said:
Don't discourage him. He needs to grow more plants that way I can bum more powder off him in a couple months. That stuff is fantastic.
Lol! I got a good stash of dried pods. Will grind you up some more soon! Unfortunately no more of that mix though, but other tasty suprises!
stc3248 said:
Your plants look fantastic Jay!!! A nice little pod bonus to boot! Sweetness all around. Came around to make sure I clicked that follow button!
Thanks Shane! :D
HurtsGood said:
Great looking plants GH. GH is awsome guy.
Why thank you Justin!

Slowly got 114 peat pellets packed with seeds through out the week.

Keep peaking in to see if any hook are up.
13907077238530.jpg

After packing those pellets I still have so many that didn't get planted yet. Round Two in a week or so!

Brown Bhutlah SLP still ahead and in charge! A few side branches forming.
13907077532341.jpg

Yellow Manzano I think.
13907078774762.jpg

PDNs almost six inches tall.
13907079049863.jpg

Lucky four leafed cotyledon jigsaw making progress.
13907079487064.jpg

First jigsaw up has a secondary branch forming to.
13907084379985.jpg

Happy Sat night!

GA Growhead said:
It appears the soil on the hot side fertilizer wise. It's just some MG MC soil that I had, that hasn't ever been outside (bug free!).

Dang, Jason, purty plants, up and running! 350 plants for you is . . . normal, man! I say this and may be heating that greenhouse outside to "store some" since getting lots new garden area once trees down in next couple weeks.

Been trying to figure out a way to get out of going to Asheville--2 hour drive--to Promix, Metromix, McEnroe, FFOF--which I made myself--and it may be too hot from EWC but don't think so--did you buy Miracle Grow Moisture Control at big box before it was outside during summer? Am looking for viable alternative to 25 bucks gas + cost of more medium. How do you like the MGMC--have heard stories of gnats--has that been an issue for you? If not, I'll head to Lowe's and save a lot of money.

Thanks and "the beginning" looks astounding!! :party:

annie57 said:

Dang, Jason, purty plants, up and running! 350 plants for you is . . . normal, man! I say this and may be heating that greenhouse outside to "store some" since getting lots new garden area once trees down in next couple weeks.

Been trying to figure out a way to get out of going to Asheville--2 hour drive--to Promix, Metromix, McEnroe, FFOF--which I made myself--and it may be too hot from EWC but don't think so--did you buy Miracle Grow Moisture Control at big box before it was outside during summer? Am looking for viable alternative to 25 bucks gas + cost of more medium. How do you like the MGMC--have heard stories of gnats--has that been an issue for you? If not, I'll head to Lowe's and save a lot of money.

Thanks and "the beginning" looks astounding!! :party:
I found the soil on a inside garden section at the wally world by my work. The one by me keeps it outside only. There is also a HD by me with some soil inside their greenhouse selection. Anytime I buy the bags that sit outside, there are usually gnats involved. Always worse in spring, summer times. Might not be as bad since they are probably frozen solid right now if outside.
It is very inconsistent in it's mix. If you buy the smallest, mid size and 3 cu ft bag all at the same time you would see a huge difference. It all works fine for me, the MC version is airy enough and doesn't hold too much water. Not happy about the added nutrients, but at the same time I won't have to feed them if I continuously pot up as when needed. A bit more maintenance free in that regard, but this bag also seems a bit on the hot side. This bag didn't bother the older pot ups or the wife's flowers last year of course. Going to score another inside bag soon. Waiting for them to finish putting the garden stuff back out at that one wally.
Everything looks to be adapting to it fine now. But... In summary, It work much better than there regular soil and it will get you thru.
I bought some FFOF recently, but waiting till the one gallon stage to use it. I am going to have some soil mix delivery, to have for pot ups and the new raised beds I have to build. Looking into the amendments to add to that, so hoping that will be all the soil I will have to buy this year once purchased.
I am already planning a small hoop house on one of the existing raised beds, to get plants out to harden and give me some space. DIY greenhouse!
Glad you got the garden expanding! I still gotta move some thornless blackberries and till to widen mine. Two (or three ;) ) more rows should do it. :D
Was hoping to wait after the last frost. I don't want to bring up all the good microbes, that I have added, to freeze. I have a ton of leaves and pine straw ready to go. Just waiting to till them in!
Spicegeist said:
Nice progress...
Thanks Charles!
KiNGDeNNiZ said:
Plants look awesome. What's the reaper cross
Thanks Denniz! Keeping that reaper cross on the down low. ;) Its the only cross that took for me and ripened before the frost got everything. Trying to get the F2s going before I let that one out of the bag.
Devv said:
Very nice Jason, they look really healthy!
They show a bit of over fertilizing, but doing good otherwise. The younger guys and gals aren't as much effected, growing right into it.
Just noticed a couple of the pubescens have already forked. ? Do they split earlier than the chinense, anyone? Wasn't expecting that!
maximumcapsicum said:
Wow 114 pellets! How long does it take to pack that many? How do you keep track of the labels?

Plants are looking great! Love the side growth. Keep on growing strong!
It took about four hours total, split thru the week. I drop the seeds on top, keeping track on a grid I printed out. Then went back and poked the seeds down with the back of a paint brush and lightly packed each pellet down, a couple rows at a time.
Thanks Adam. These are coming along nicely. Waiting on this round to pop and then starting round two. Atleast 50, if not 80, more varieties that I want to start, not including the annuums.
I am sure that I will have extras if you find you need some more plants. :D
Can you add potted plants in front of or behind your raised beds at the community grow?

Back