• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

GA GH's Garden 2013

Seeing people already starting seeds gave me the bug. & I just didn't think watching our southern hemisphere friend's grows was going to fill that void. As my season comes to an end, i needed to do something. What? I am not sure, but here i am.
13527733215891.jpg

Say hello to orange primo from peter@semillas.de

Note: Updating this thread verses creating a new one. Growlist for 2013's outside down below

Thanks so much guys!

orange thais, first pods of the season. should be turning soon!
13700961883715.jpg

Mustard hab.
13700962283497.jpg

Yellow 7
13700962411688.jpg

Jamaican hot chocolate
13700962526309.jpg

Tobago seasoning
13700962896751.jpg

Have been top dressing all the plants with chicken manure, worm castings and mushroom compost. Almost finished. Then adding some pine straw mulch to the garden. pot a few more up and call it a day. hopefully I can get it all done.
I will take some more pics. plants are beautiful green!

Devv said:
bump!

Plants are looking good! It's amazing how quickly they recover and just take off. Once they hit that dirt and the weather cooperates they just grow like crazy.

Good work there!
Thanks Scott. Feeling good about everything now!

megahot said:
Nice lookin plants man! They are really rockin, nice to see you are getting pods already! Awesome job bro!
Thanks Jon! Finding more pods setting each day! Hope you got your plants worked out. Can't remember, did you get a yellow brain going?

DocNrock said:
Dude, the updates are incredible!  Especially diggin the White Devil Tongue!  A pod already?!?!  Wow.  Mine are just starting to bud.  You win!  :)

Everything else is looking great in the GAGH garden.  Pods are coming along.

It is amazing how expensive so many things are in medicine.  The price of the rabies vaccine didn't surprise me a bit.  If you have reasonable health insurance, it should be covered (excluding any copay or deductible). 

Keep it up, bro!
Thank you Brent.
I know, WDT already :crazy:! I just happened to look and saw them. Wasn't trying to win anything ;)
I was surprised by the $$ for the rabies shots. The pet's shots are not even close to that. Caught me off guard, but with the price of healthcare these days, it goes hand in hand. I'm sure most will be covered. But damn! that's a lot of money for some shots.
stc3248 said:
Awesome! Plants look really happy and healthy...podding up all around. Life is good in GA for the Growhead!
stc3248 said:
Nothing but more awesomeness...don't know how much more I can take!!!
Thanks Shane! Life is pretty good. Well, trying to make it that way! Pretty soon i will have plants covered with pods like you my friend!
And it's going to get every more awesomeness-er! :)
Devv said:
Dang! outa likes still.

Agreed! Plants are beautiful green.
Thanks Scott. The pictures just don't do them justice. In the afternoon sun, the new growth on most and all the leaves on others is just as Beautiful green as can be.
WalkGood said:

Jason I love the background in that picture of the Tobago Treasure (last one previous page)!
That did come out cool. The sun was just peeking over the trees. Caught it at the right time! Thanks Ramon.
stickman said:
Beautiful job Jay! Those are some happy looking plants... and pods on the Thai Orange are a bonus!
Thanks Rick! Looking foward to the orange thais!
I was inspired by you, Shane, and now Brent and bought a drip irrigation kit. It's not enough for the whole garden, but will expand it to be one i get it working! Excited!

GA Growhead said:
Thanks Rick! Looking foward to the orange thais!
I was inspired by you, Shane, and now Brent and bought a drip irrigation kit. It's not enough for the whole garden, but will expand it to be one i get it working! Excited!
You won't be disappointed Jay! Once you get it all dialed in it'll  give you more time for other things... like hunting for pepper-eating critters. ;)

I got the first layer of pine straw down. I'm just raking it up from the back of my property and wheelbarrowing it up. After i finished, i was beat. More work than i anticipated. Going to let it weather down and then hit it again.
I had bought "black hen" from the makers of "black kow". I never saw the compost chicken manure from them before, so had to go for it. My neighbor just got rid of his chickens, so didn't want to tax what he has left. He heavily adds to his garden, which produced giant, dark ass green, late fruiting plants last year. Nitrogen overload! I added what i purchased, which stinks a bit!!, mixed with worm casting, and some mushroom compost into the top few inches around all the plants. Covered with pine straw. And now will be happily adding drip lines to take care of everything! Yay! It's definitely time consuming to water manual, so this will be good! Bought a kit that has everything to get started w/100ft of line, and can expand to cover the rest.
I also bought a few bags of some hardwood bark mulch to add to the potted plants and in the raised beds. First bag i opened was nothing but wood chips. Then others were half bark, half chips. Some killer stuff though! Hoping to finish up the potting and move all the remaining peppers outside to harden. That's my goal along with setting up (playing with) the drip lines.
Hope everyone has a great day!
stickman said:
You won't be disappointed Jay! Once you get it all dialed in it'll  give you more time for other things... like hunting for pepper-eating critters. ;)
Awesome Rick! That's what i planning on.
I saw a ton of white moths with black spots yesterday, speaking of critters. Need to look up what kind they are. Do not need caterpillars eating on the garden!

You'll love having the irrigation setup, I tried it here years ago, but our well water is too high in minerals and clogged the emitters.

I've since tried wobbler sprinklers, they work well but water everything, weeds included.

Started using the bubblers this year and am quite pleased.

Have a good one!

A lot of hard work with that pine straw, Jay! In Raleigh area in NC, we always used that, locally harvested, and had fun burning ticks--very carefully, away from the mulch--or: :fireball: But with bermuda grass--yeah--I see we have similar invasive freaking weeds--gotta do something and also help with moisture conservation.

Which drip system did you get? Or are adding on to?

Hate the raccoon b.s. but dang glad you got the treatment. People who advocate "live and let live" around critters really ought to try it, might change their PETA pc crap.

Those plants look amazing and "Orange poddage" is beautiful--all beautiful, but love those! One plant, never heard of and am gonna have to go back to check it and ask you. Just gorgeous, Jason!!!! Curvature seems to be an issue with my bhuts this year. Dunno why. Who cares? They're healthy.

Hope we all get some rain after a dry, HOT week, as nothing beats good soaking rain! (Imagine saying that two weeks ago.) Peace, sweetie! Love the poddage and where oh where and how oh how will we use this many peppers. Trade you a Trini seasoning for a Trini perfume "set"? ;)

Outstanding!!

Pepper-Guru said:
There are inline filters for the drip irrigation. I made the mistake one year of fertigating with kelp meal...hahah! All the granuals got into the system then swelled up in my emmiters! LoL took me forever to get those to break down and pass through...never again!
I need to make sure this kit has a filter. Saw them at the store. Thanks for the reminder!

There is a nice little "kit" that is made by Toro, I believe.  I got one for each circuit.  It comes with a connector for a 3/4" hose bib, a 25 psi regulator, a filter, and a connector for the 1/2" drip tubing.  I mounted a battery operated timer to the hose bib, then the "kit" is mounted to the timer, then the drip tubing from there.  Obviously this is just one way to do it.  There is more than one way to peel a cat.  ;)

annie57 said:
A lot of hard work with that pine straw, Jay! In Raleigh area in NC, we always used that, locally harvested, and had fun burning ticks--very carefully, away from the mulch--or: :fireball: But with bermuda grass--yeah--I see we have similar invasive freaking weeds--gotta do something and also help with moisture conservation.

Which drip system did you get? Or are adding on to?

Hate the raccoon b.s. but dang glad you got the treatment. People who advocate "live and let live" around critters really ought to try it, might change their PETA pc crap.

Those plants look amazing and "Orange poddage" is beautiful--all beautiful, but love those! One plant, never heard of and am gonna have to go back to check it and ask you. Just gorgeous, Jason!!!! Curvature seems to be an issue with my bhuts this year. Dunno why. Who cares? They're healthy.

Hope we all get some rain after a dry, HOT week, as nothing beats good soaking rain! (Imagine saying that two weeks ago.) Peace, sweetie! Love the poddage and where oh where and how oh how will we use this many peppers. Trade you a Trini seasoning for a Trini perfume "set"? ;)

Outstanding!!
Talking about ticks! I alway see a couple this time of year, but this year has been insane! I seriously have seen 20 different kinds, red, burgandy, brown, & black little deer ticks. With spots, speckled, you name it. Have had a couple attached to me, but most just crawling on me or the dogs. Damn i hate ticks!

Thanks Annie! Glad everything is looking good. And I'm down for the trade along with whatever else you would like to sample. Lord knows I'm growing more than i can use myself!
Just counted and im at 207 including the containers, and still have a row of mild/sweet to plant!
Jamison said:
Plants are looking amazing Jay! The irrigation should make things a bit simpler for ya! I still hand water all my plants and its a pain in the ass my friend!
Thanks Jamison! Gotta make it easier that's for sure!
DocNrock said:
There is a nice little "kit" that is made by Toro, I believe.  I got one for each circuit.  It comes with a connector for a 3/4" hose bib, a 25 psi regulator, a filter, and a connector for the 1/2" drip tubing.  I mounted a battery operated timer to the hose bib, then the "kit" is mounted to the timer, then the drip tubing from there.  Obviously this is just one way to do it.  There is more than one way to peel a cat.  ;)
The kit i bought sounds similar. I research online and then bought what i bought knowing i could expand with a few extra pieces and lines. Definitely many ways to skin this one!

Pepper-Guru said:
There are inline filters for the drip irrigation. I made the mistake one year of fertigating with kelp meal...hahah! All the granuals got into the system then swelled up in my emmiters! LoL took me forever to get those to break down and pass through...never again!

And these inlines can stop the calcium/mineral build up?

Our well water is horrible, will turn the house orange if the sprinkler shoot on it.
GA Growhead said:
Talking about ticks! I alway see a couple this time of year, but this year has been insane! I seriously have seen 20 different kinds, red, burgandy, brown, & black little deer ticks. With spots, speckled, you name it. Have had a couple attached to me, but most just crawling on me or the dogs. Damn i hate ticks!

Sulfur powder works great to keep them off..

Worked hard all day, just not on the pepper garden. Only rained really for a minute or two, so gave the garden a good soak tonight.
Ended up digging out a section between the house and driveway, buying and laying in some designer bricks, planting some flowers for the misses, and mulching the whole area. Then cleaned out all the brush around the driveway, removing a few trees that were going to close,cutting any branches hanging in and over that i could reach. Trimming the apple tree's lower branches so we can see diwn the street ehen pulling out. Removed a tree by the street down to the stump. Any macheted vines all up and down the driveway, pulling out of trees. Then dragged all the debris to the back of the property.
A ton of work! I'm beat!

Only took a few picts this morning.

Here is GA black.
13701899642413.jpg

One of the WDT from brent via Shane via someone else that is mega cool! It has split and started to show little buds.
13701899513592.jpg

And a giant white hab, the largest of three that has also split.
13701899328491.jpg

It was full sun and i couldn't see the screen being so bright out here, so i missed a bunch of shots.
Everything is looking good. Plenty of open flowers around. Won't be long now.

I'm out! Take care everyone!

Devv said:
Sulfur powder works great to keep them off..
So... can i wear that to bed? Just got woken up to something crawling up my leg. Grabbed it and knew what i had. Flipped the lights on and cut the tick in half (my way of ended them). So after a quick body/bed search, Im now wide awake. I sure this one hitchhiked on one of the dogs and found way up the bed. Damn i hate Ticks!

Back