• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

GA GH's Garden 2013

Seeing people already starting seeds gave me the bug. & I just didn't think watching our southern hemisphere friend's grows was going to fill that void. As my season comes to an end, i needed to do something. What? I am not sure, but here i am.
13527733215891.jpg

Say hello to orange primo from peter@semillas.de

Note: Updating this thread verses creating a new one. Growlist for 2013's outside down below

Killer pods everywhere... Awesome update GA, I see some wild brazils hanging around in the background... Nice to see em since I have two plants growing and still waiting on the first sign of flowers...

GA Growhead said:
Thanks Stefan! Some more pods to grab in the morning. Waiting till then to do it.
The wht7s are tasty! Look way cool on the plant!
13748718538262.jpg

The white devil tongues are a bit more yellow. Out of the white pods so far the wht7 has been the whitest. Next are the Peruvian and jellybean habs. The devil tongues are more yellow than white to me.
Went by the grocery store today and looked at there habs, and saw one almost if not whiter than the whr7s. They had a bunch of lighter colored habs, peach to light peach and light yellows too. Kinda kicking myself for not grabbing that white one just for the seeds :doh: Told myself i have plenty of pods right now and they probably would have grown out red, but should have grabbed it anyway. double :doh:
The peach pheno from the PI 441598s it hard to describe flavor wise. Really a sweet fruity taste with a pretty heavy chinense flavor and smell. Doesnt taste like it looks to me. It has more heat than i expected. Definitely sitting right above the habs. Guessing close to 500k scovs. Really a nice pod.
I really should name them correctly. They really are PI 441598 x mystery C. chinese F2s peach pheno from what i gather. The last of the other two plants just ripened to red like the first, & also like the F1s that the seeds came out of. From what i can find... they were originally light peach colored when silversurfer grew them in 2011, then grew red 2012. So must have crossed or were unstable. With F2s showing two colors and two shapes, i am assuming they got crossed. The third red plant has pretty much the same shape as the peach pheno. Next years F3s will be interesting, thinking just going to grow the peach pheno again so far as i like it the best and nice visual appeal.

Thanks for the feedback, Jason. Turns out I got some PI441598 seeds from SilverSurfer as well :lol: but yours look definitely like a cross. Would be interest to help you growing the peach pheno out next season :) Shame about the Devils White, I wanna try this one next season also, thinking about a whites themed season ;) Maybe the store still has the white pod for sale? I know I would go back for it  :whistle: although you never know what it looks like when you grow it out next season.

First madballz 7 starting to turn. This is #1 the darker green pheno. Looking orange right now.
13748737920751.jpg

I remember when the first pod started to turn over here last season, I was thinking it got rust on it, brown/red mixture of color. The one above looks a bit to bright orange but maybe it's just the light.
Great update overall! Although the Orange Primo turns out to be yellow, it does have an cool podshape :)

Can't wait for those shots!:D

I have quick question maybe not directly to you but to anyone.

-How can someone possibly stabilize the Bubblegum 7? What's the chance at doing so or is it gonna always be hit and miss? Just curious.

,Walter

Damn Jason!  You are definitely in the right part of the season!!  I am loving all that color, it looks like you are gonna be pretty busy for the remainder of the season.  Sucks about that 7 Brown, ill keep my fingers crossed man!

stc3248 said:
Dayummm!!!! Things are heating up at Jason's place y'all!!! Woot! Yeah buddy! That little WB you sent me has a ripe one on it too!!!  :dance: Looks really similar to the Charapitas, although there may be a slight difference in color, pod size and shape are almost spot on, the WBs may be a tad larger...but maybe not. We shall see! Your description of the Choco Scorp sounds spot on to almost every Choco Super I have tried...like eating dirt...that's on FIRE! Blak! They're great in powders and I made some into a BBQ sauce that was good too...think you gotta pair them with something sweet to almost "enjoy" them. Keep...DAMN I WAS ABOUT TO SAY KEEP THE AWESOME POD SHOTS COMING AND MORE AWESOMENESS FLOWS IN ABOVE...YESS!!!! Stoked for you brudda, you're right around the corner from some crazy monster BA pulls my man!
Thank you Shane! The WB are super yummy. Great snacking pepper. Just keep popping them till they are gone. Charapitas sound pretty awesome too! Will have to give the final word, as they sound similar.
Bitter dirt that's on fire sound like a pretty reasonable description to me. :D
Harvest are getting bigger! Throwing up the proof shortly! ;)
Portuge said:
Killer pods everywhere... Awesome update GA, I see some wild brazils hanging around in the background... Nice to see em since I have two plants growing and still waiting on the first sign of flowers...
Thanks Portuge! Your going enjoy those wild brazils! Awesome to just pop them. Great flavor and nice heat! Try to get you an overall shot in the morning.
meatfreak said:

Thanks for the feedback, Jason. Turns out I got some PI441598 seeds from SilverSurfer as well :lol: but yours look definitely like a cross. Would be interest to help you growing the peach pheno out next season :) Shame about the Devils White, I wanna try this one next season also, thinking about a whites themed season ;) Maybe the store still has the white pod for sale? I know I would go back for it  :whistle: although you never know what it looks like when you grow it out next season.

I remember when the first pod started to turn over here last season, I was thinking it got rust on it, brown/red mixture of color. The one above looks a bit to bright orange but maybe it's just the light.
Great update overall! Although the Orange Primo turns out to be yellow, it does have an cool podshape :)
Stefan, when did you get the PI 441598 seeds? Last season or season before? Mine are crossed. The peach plant is really a cool one. Can definitely get you some seeds.
And only the one out of three of the devil's tongues went red, so can add those too! :)
Hoping the giant white habs come out white. Looking correct so far. Can add those too.
Didn't make back to the store yet, but will tomorrow. If that white pod is still there, I'm buying it.
The madballz is the darker green podded one. It is way orange. Even more so today.
Check it out.
13749807465580.jpg

Thinking is was just on it's way to red something, but not sure now. Will find out soon! :party:
The lighter green podded one hasn't shown any color, and it podded up at the same time, so shouldn't be too much longer. Hoping it does get that rusty color!
The orange (yellow) primos are kinda cool. Going to pull one this werk and give it a good taste. Look forward to that.
Thanks for the kind words.
WalkGood said:
Jason if I could shoot pics like that I'd be trading my camera for a phone Awesome work brethren!
Lol. Thanks Ramon. I trash atleast three for everyone i post. I have continuously taken shots trying to get a decent one of some pod and still never got one i like. It's all about light with the phone's camera, or any camera really. And i have figured out the max capability of the phone. The macro works wonders on it. About to update to new phone if i can decide on one and possibly get a camera, so expect crappier shot when it happen as i figure them out.
And i was planning on taking the harvest shot into Photoshop but never made it. Not enough time in the day. I did get a couple have represents the true pod color of the white pods. yay!
Stefan_W said:
The bonnet congo cross sounds really interesting. Great looking pod shots, and it is wonderful to see colour!
Thank you thank you Stefan! That one has been on my radar! Waiting for that one. & It is nice to see color!
Devv said:
Excellent grow going on! Great variety and pods just everywhere!

You have a lot to be proud of!
Thank Scott! Pods are really everywhere! I'm about to be swimming in then. Getting a bit overwhelmed when looking at everything. One day at a time i tell myself.
Vegas_Chili said:
Can't wait for those shots!

I have quick question maybe not directly to you but to anyone.

-How can someone possibly stabilize the Bubblegum 7? What's the chance at doing so or is it gonna always be hit and miss? Just curious.

,Walter
Thanks Walter.
I have wondered the same thing with the mutated calyces ones. Will it be in the next generation. Wonder if you cross it will it show in the F1s, and if not in later generations. Is it a dominant or recessive trait. This would be a good one to discuss with dr paul b. at the chili institute. Wonder if he has ever seen a pepper with calyces like the bbg7s?
I think that since it is still showing up, that it could be stabilized. It could have been a one of a kind, one time thing, but it wasn't. So im saying yes.
MGOLD86 said:
Damn Jason!  You are definitely in the right part of the season!!  I am loving all that color, it looks like you are gonna be pretty busy for the remainder of the season.  Sucks about that 7 Brown, ill keep my fingers crossed man!
Matt, loving this time of the year! And you are kidding about being busy. Breaking out the dehydrator tomorrow!
I am truely bummed about the brown7s. I have seeds from 2011 & 2012 from Judy. I planted a few from each pack, but only got 3 plants and am not sure from which pack. So i can't avoid the pack that gave me the red to help increase my chances next season. Maybe i should do the winter project with them, but would be pissed to get another red podded one, so maybe not. Can't win them all anyway. Holding my breather on the third plant.

Harvest shots...

First bunch

13749833238921.jpg

2 not White(red) devil's tongues, 2 Tobago seasoning, 1 naga jonah cross, 1 PI 441598 cross #2.
Orange thais, giant bhut, datil, choc bhut, yel brain strain.
Two papa Joe's scotch bonnets.

Two 7 chaguanas, two Bahamian goats.
A row of PI 441598 cross #1.
Choc scorps bottom row.
13749833429112.jpg

White 7s and white devil's tongues. Not as yellow as this photo makes them look.
13749833598133.jpg

PI 441598 cross peach phenos, a few wild brazils and on the bottom...
A pile of jellybean & Peruvian white habs. A white 7 and WDT for comparison too.
13749833822944.jpg

This is almost true color of the white habs.
13749833987995.jpg

Nice wild brazils.
13749834267717.jpg

The first choc barrackpore got heavily sun scalded. Then bugs broke in. more Burgundy than chocolate but still cool.
13749834478828.jpg

Artsy fartsy.
13749834136776.jpg

13749834673639.jpg

Great pods and great shots! Hope you got more!

So I did a side by side of a WB off the awesome plant you sent me with the Charapitas...similar but different. The Charapita is a bit sweeter and hot, the Wild Brazil more tart with more heat. The WB is Yellow and the Charapita orange. The calyx on the WB is more cone shaped and the Charapits more of a flat saucer. 
fmF05W8.jpg

There is also a subtle difference in the pod shape. The WB more of a tiny ball bearing and the CP is kind of a smashed ball bearing. Thanks again for the awesome plant! It's growing like a little weed and looking happy in its new Socal home. Sorry for the hijack...

Man Jay... it looks like your boatload of pods is coming in! You've got some really nice looking stuff there... Thanks for taking one for the team in your review of the Chocolate Scorp... ;)  I'll be avoiding that one in future for sure. Continued success my friend!

stc3248 said:
Great pods and great shots! Hope you got more!

So I did a side by side of a WB off the awesome plant you sent me with the Charapitas...similar but different. The Charapita is a bit sweeter and hot, the Wild Brazil more tart with more heat. The WB is Yellow and the Charapita orange. The calyx on the WB is more cone shaped and the Charapits more of a flat saucer. 
fmF05W8.jpg

There is also a subtle difference in the pod shape. The WB more of a tiny ball bearing and the CP is kind of a smashed ball bearing. Thanks again for the awesome plant! It's growing like a little weed and looking happy in its new Socal home. Sorry for the hijack...
Thanks Shane! Nice comparison! So you can make some powder out of both and call it wild sweet & tart ;)
Glad the wild brazil is doing well. Not a hijack at all!
stickman said:
Man Jay... it looks like your boatload of pods is coming in! You've got some really nice looking stuff there... Thanks for taking one for the team in your review of the Chocolate Scorp... ;)  I'll be avoiding that one in future for sure. Continued success my friend!
Don't be avoiding all choc scorps, it sounds like there are some tasty ones out there. Thanks for the kind words Rick! Wishing that same for you!
Devv said:
Nice harvest!

So do you freeze them, make sauces, or hit the dehydrator?
Thanks Scott! They are getting bigger. I usually just freeze or dehydrate. Going to load up the dehydrator today. :D

Here is the Orange bhut Copenhagen aka BOC.
13750311501390.jpg

13750312422732.jpg

Living up to it's name!

GH things are looking great down there in Ga. Well done my good man.  The pics are terrific and your reviews of some of the pods is spot on.  Sounds like it anyway as I have never eaten a choc scorp,  :) Keep up the great grow.

Sanarda said:
GH things are looking great down there in Ga. Well done my good man.  The pics are terrific and your reviews of some of the pods is spot on.  Sounds like it anyway as I have never eaten a choc scorp,  :) Keep up the great grow.
Thanks Pia! It's coming along now! :D
Stefan_W said:
Good stuff. I especially like the artsy fartsy shots ;)
Thanks Stefan. I liked those close ups. Had to share them.

Few more picts from today.

Trin Choc scotch bonnet
13750433671730.jpg

Not brown 7 :(
13750434461451.jpg

Didn't see this douglah ripening up till today.
13750434651032.jpg

Brainstrain yellow
13750434884083.jpg

BB douglah yellow
13750435029634.jpg

13750435167835.jpg

Devv said:
Most excellent!

The pepper gods are in your favor this year!
So that's what all this rain is about? :D
It really has been good for the inground plants. My tomatoes are not happy at all. They said today that we are just under 5" from our average yearly total rainfall already, & 5 months left in the year. Did i mention that we have had a lot of rain? :D
Portuge said:
With all of that yellow heat you got here on your plate, will make some pretty darn good powder...
I do love me some yellow pods! And yellow powder is SO good!

& here are those wild brazil picts :)

13750608865390.jpg

13750609284211.jpg

And yellow devil's tongue
13750609919943.jpg

Pulling a tobago seasoning soon!
13750609768222.jpg

And yellow 7 LRGs
13750611282479.jpg

And a fatalii ready to pick
13750611948521.jpg

Yep. Yellow pods!

Almost forgot my TS yellow moruga blends. They aren't showing the correct pod shape as of yet.
13750610895758.jpg

Was trying to catch the ladybug in action on the variegata.
13750612593773.jpg

Container infinity looking cool.
13750613296424.jpg

Red brain
13750612323402.jpg

That madballz 7, that was orange, was pretty much turning red today. And ment to point out to Stefan (meatfreak) that this latest pull of Wht devil's tongues were much whiter, very close to the white 7s. They looked nice as you could tell from the picts.
Last night had two WDT and a few peruvian/jb white habs with my dinner at the Mexican spot down the road. Took a bunch of pods for the guys there, they were stoked.

Dude...everything is looking so killer. That Wild Brazil is a freakin monster! I may have underestimated the size pot I need for that thing!!! I may sneak it into an inground spot in the front yard...Shhhh :shh:  All those cool varieties, and such healthy looking plants. Man, you're killin it!

Back