• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

GA GH's Garden 2013

Seeing people already starting seeds gave me the bug. & I just didn't think watching our southern hemisphere friend's grows was going to fill that void. As my season comes to an end, i needed to do something. What? I am not sure, but here i am.
13527733215891.jpg

Say hello to orange primo from peter@semillas.de

Note: Updating this thread verses creating a new one. Growlist for 2013's outside down below

Jamison said:
Way to go man! Your photos and pods are frickin amazing Jason! That flea market table looks extremely painful brotha! I love them Giant White Habs. They are soooo cool.

Thanks Jamison. I tryed to put the supers on the back of the table. I had plenty of heat there for sure. I really like the giant white habs. I put them in the front of the table yesterday. They were the most touched pepper, but strangely no one really bought them. They definitely caught your eye, which got people looking at the rest of the colors on the table. The only person that bought any was a hispanic lady that sells peppers and pepper plants along with other produce there. She knew they were special. She also bought some yellow 7 large pods. These were huge and almost orange in color. She had the best looking peter pepper plant i have ever seen. Perfect pods, better than any picture i have seen. Also had a ton of annuums in which she only knew the spanish name. Most larger podded pequin types.
The giants are ripening to a much whiter color now than the white 7s. I had one when i got home yesterday with my lunch. I really like them too.
stickman said:
We pepperheads sure do get around... I gave some of my superhots to a neighbor named Dino who runs a swanky restaurant in Amherst, MA so he could share them out with the staff there. Actor Tim Roth was there with his wife Nikki the night Dino brought them in, and he asked his waiter why he was so flushed and sweaty. When the guy told them that they were sharing superhot chiles in the kitchen she asked for some too and ate most of a Douglah and a Butch T. pod...  I guess they were too hot for the kitchen staff... ;)

Thanks for the info on the BOC Jay, I appreciate it! Next year I plan on growing one side-by-side with a Naga King Jalokia from Peri Peri to compare the two. Apparently, both are plenty hot and have a strong orange citrus flavor. Cheers!
Cool story! So Hollywood is hot after all! ;)
I'm doubting the two taste anything alike, but you will have two killer plants in the garden regardless. The BOC has such a unique flavor. Nothing like any naga or bhut or anything else except for maybe a bahamian goat pepper. It is close in it's flavor.
I'm going to put king nagas in the garden this year for sure! And the BOC is a staple at this point. Going to have some chili powder soon from them. Looking forward to seeing how the taste carries over.
Hope you your having a good day so far.

The table of pain!!!

That flea market, thing looks awesome. I bet as soon as people know what kind of peppers those are, they'll be coming back for more ;).

The BOC sounds interesting just like Stickman said, I never tried the Bahamian goat, but I've only heard how great the flavor is and now the BOC just seems to bring it up a level.

So you say you have 100+ varieties? Tasting would be harder than sowing and keeping them all. Need help :D LOL J/K.

I saw that you're having back problems again... not good. Take it easy man.

, Walter

Dude, can't wait to see some of that powder!  If you can get the orange to carry over that would be awesome!  I get requests for seed often after I do a video, but the BOC has been one of the most requested varieties all season!  Everyone wants to get their hands on the BOC!

Vegas_Chili said:
The table of pain!!!

That flea market, thing looks awesome. I bet as soon as people know what kind of peppers those are, they'll be coming back for more ;).

The BOC sounds interesting just like Stickman said, I never tried the Bahamian goat, but I've only heard how great the flavor is and now the BOC just seems to bring it up a level.

So you say you have 100+ varieties? Tasting would be harder than sowing and keeping them all. Need help :D LOL J/K.

I saw that you're having back problems again... not good. Take it easy man.

, Walter
Thanks Walter. The market was cool, but not really my style. The wife wants to go back this Sunday. I would rather move bulk wholesale to a restaurant or grocer. It was fun and all, I'm just not a people person. The wife will talk to anyone.
I'm sure there will be a few people back, after scoring someone special, that they know they can not get elsewhere. We will see what happens.
The BOC and Bahamian goat are tasty. The goats are really yummy. Need two with dinner and im set. BOCs are hot! The will sneak up on ya for sure, being so tasty and then next thing you know, your mouth is on fire!
Have almost a whole tray full on the dehydrator right now!

Seriously 100+. I haven't tasted everything yet. Saw the first orange scorp starting to show some color. A keep getting nots/ mutations so that technical added to the list to try. :crazy:

Back has been a bit better. Was struggling the weekend before and earlier last week. Thank you my friend. I have been taking it easier and have been a bit better, but shouldn't be in this much everyday pain. Had another epidural injection not to long ago and haven't really gotten the relief i should have. Always a gamble i guess. Some help better than others.
Sanarda said:
Wonderful reviews.  I sure wish I had been a that flea market for sure.  Bet it was a fun day heat filled day. :dance:
Thanks Pia! I do try sometimes, but I'm no poet. And i wish you would have stop in at the market! Plenty of heat could have been had. I took some special goodies, like the bbg7s, sepias, choc barrackpores and other rarities, hoping to meet a serious chili head. But it didn't happen so i came home with them.
Maybe this Sunday if it happens. You heading down to hotlanta this weeking? :D
MGOLD86 said:
Dude, can't wait to see some of that powder!  If you can get the orange to carry over that would be awesome!  I get requests for seed often after I do a video, but the BOC has been one of the most requested varieties all season!  Everyone wants to get their hands on the BOC!
That's too funny. I bought those on a whim, thinking... hope they turn out cool. You definitely have some pull and mad respect, so your word does go far! I filled almost a whole tray on the dehydrator last night. Checked them earlier and rotated the trays. Most were about there. Still a nice color. Hoping that flavor transfers!
I still have the grasshopper problem with them. They love the BOCs more than me. I am loosing half the pods to them. Sucks! But see more spiders in the garden, so nature is taking it's course.
stickman said:
Hi Jay... I put in an order for BOC seeds tonight, so I'm set. Cheers
Right on Rick! You will not be sorry. Did you score anything else off the site? Dude has a nice selection of stuff.

Small update.

Noticed tonite when i got home that one of my 007 s is turning yellow.
13783469008710.jpg

13783469207841.jpg

And had my first reaper yesterday.

13783470579092.jpg

13783471898873.jpg

It was hot! Hotter than anything else i have tried so far this year? Not sure about that. I ate a few pieces off the bottom/mid section and is was hot, but not bad. Then ate a piece off a red douglah my buddy brought in. That was hotter and gave me serious throat burn. Ten minutes later than mellowed out and took a big piece of reaper from the top with more placenta. This piece got me. Wasn't sure if because i had the douglah, and also a piece of 7 chaguamas too, almost forgot, before hand, but the reaper got me good. Mouth, tongue, throat, under tongue. It got my eyes to water for a second. Taste was just ok. Wasn't bad, but a hair of bitterness in there made it not so good. It had a really familiar taste than i have tasted this season from a pod, but couldn't decided what. Will get back to ya on that if i figure it out.
In all, i ate about a quarter of that pod. After that last piece i experience the most intense endorphin release i have ever had. Started with light headiness and sent me to a mellow place were i could barely, or just didn't care to, talk or finish a sentence. Only a few pods have gotten me there, the reaper now added to the list.
World's hottest? Probably not, but damn hot. The burn lasted much shorter the i expected. Maybe 4 to five minutes to get to the plateau and dropped off completely in ten to fifteen. Compared to the last bbg7 #1 the burn was short lived. That one sticks in my mind cause it seemed to burn forever!
Thinking the reaper was hotter but easier to handle, and given me a euphoric state wasn't bad either.
So that's my take, first pod and all. The plants are really loading up with many more being ripe anyday.
Later

Sorry to read about your back, mines been trouble for 27 years, rehab exercises work well for me so far...I do them constantly...the epidural shots scare me...rather eat a Reaper.

Beautiful pod pics! Like the Reaper review, it's a different pepper for sure!

Love it that 'yall went to a flea market to share the pain, hey it the wife likes it, then it can't be all that bad. I bet she sells them well!

Take care of yourself and have a great weekend!

Great Reaper review! It was HOT for sure...but hottest??? I think the Primo Cross is hotter...but the Reaper tastes a little better, but both are bitter. How goes the grow??? Lets see some garden shots!!! That little WB you sent is taking over that corner of the garden!

Awesome updates Jason!  A dream flea market for sure. I see the pile of Datils there which I did not grow this year.  I used a bunch in my first ferment.  If you need to move any I would be happy to buy them just to get them in my freezer.

Can't get over those calyx's on the BBG7's.  Makes me think of the Little Shop of Horrors plant only with blood drooling around its mouth.

Very sorry to read of your back problems.  Hope for some healing rest.

Have a good one!

Mike

Sucks having back problems, I’m in dat club too … I just want to know how to relinquish that membership :D

Awesome looking reaper pod and picante descriptions, hope it wasn’t the douglah that put you over the top. Everything else looks awesome too, great work Jason :)

Wishing you and yours an awesome weekend brethren and take care of your back ^_^

Portuge said:
Killer upclose shots of the pod GA. Keep up the great work
Thank you Portuge!
It's becoming work. More peppers to process!
Devv said:
Sorry to read about your back, mines been trouble for 27 years, rehab exercises work well for me so far...I do them constantly...the epidural shots scare me...rather eat a Reaper.

Beautiful pod pics! Like the Reaper review, it's a different pepper for sure!

Love it that 'yall went to a flea market to share the pain, hey it the wife likes it, then it can't be all that bad. I bet she sells them well!

Take care of yourself and have a great weekend!
Back pain sucks. I went almost a year suffering before caving in. Made such a huge difference, get them when needed. Not something i enjoy doing that's for sure. Done rehab of all kinds with out much relief. Unfortunately it's only heading downhill from here. Surgery is in my future, just putting it off as long as i can.
Reapers are up there. They are beastly.
The wife already has people coming tomorrow ready to buy. I'm not even ready. Need to pick more and gotta process more taking up space inside.
Have a great weekend too!
stc3248 said:
Great Reaper review! It was HOT for sure...but hottest??? I think the Primo Cross is hotter...but the Reaper tastes a little better, but both are bitter. How goes the grow??? Lets see some garden shots!!! That little WB you sent is taking over that corner of the garden!
I agree, and a bit bitter too. Glad the wild brazil is happy! Mine hasn't stopped here!
Took a few pictures earlier but onky a few are worthy. Going to get a few more, so expect a pict heavy update later. The garden is going off still. Some are pumping up with flowers for the second or third time. Gotta go pick peppers!
laynlow said:
Nice looking pods!   
Thank you Laynlow!
capsidadburn said:
Awesome updates Jason!  A dream flea market for sure. I see the pile of Datils there which I did not grow this year.  I used a bunch in my first ferment.  If you need to move any I would be happy to buy them just to get them in my freezer.

Can't get over those calyx's on the BBG7's.  Makes me think of the Little Shop of Horrors plant only with blood drooling around its mouth.

Very sorry to read of your back problems.  Hope for some healing rest.

Have a good one!

Mike
Glad you like the datils, i put a handful in your prize box! And a couple bbg7s too! :D
Guessing it didn't show up today?
WalkGood said:
Sucks having back problems, Im in dat club too I just want to know how to relinquish that membership :D

Awesome looking reaper pod and picante descriptions, hope it wasnt the douglah that put you over the top. Everything else looks awesome too, great work Jason :)

Wishing you and yours an awesome weekend brethren and take care of your back ^_^
Thanks Ramon. I'm been trying to get kicked out of that club for a while, with no luck. :P
That red douglah helped, but that piece from the top of that reaper was HOT!
Hope you weekend is going well!
Out to pick more Peppers!

Nice review on that reaper and sucks about the grasshoppers.  I really have learned to embrace the spiders since I started gardening. I used be "THAT GUY", you know the one that leaves the room at the first hint of a spider, but now I am good.  They are everywhere in the garden and I just leave them to eat the bad bugs.

MGOLD86 said:
Nice review on that reaper and sucks about the grasshoppers.  I really have learned to embrace the spiders since I started gardening. I used be "THAT GUY", you know the one that leaves the room at the first hint of a spider, but now I am good.  They are everywhere in the garden and I just leave them to eat the bad bugs.
Thanks Matt!
I have always let spiders be. In the house i don't like spiders that set up webs. Not into squatters, But a random wandering spider is good. I figure if he finds a bug he will kill it, and if not he will move on. Everyday outside i walk thru webs. A couple huge guys around the house make giant webs every evening. I don't mind those architects.
I do despise the grasshoppers eating my BOCs though.

This is what i find each week with the BOCs. And a grasshopper with jumo away from the plant as i investigate.
13786104842630.jpg

Seriously loosing half to then. So more power to spiders!
I actually saved 5 BOC pods that were damaged to just keep the seeds.
Trying to save more seeds. Don't feel like i have saved many so far this season. I still have plenty OP seeds from last year & purchased seeds for some varieties so i should be good, but saving more just in case for all. :)

Orange (yellow) primo
13785608448830.jpg

Choc scorp finally making correct pods
13786108871881.jpg

13786109012182.jpg

One of my jonahs is make pods with the bottom pushed up in the pods.
13786109215233.jpg

This one is cool.
13786109340004.jpg

Aji pineapple
13786109588775.jpg

First 7pot brown. one out of 3 is better than none.
13786110208586.jpg

Pods look great! Those Jonah's really stand out too!

I hear ya about the grasshoppers! And they seem to have favorites. They go straight to the Reapers, I'm lucky if I get 1 out of 5. And I do the same thing you do, let them ripen and save the seeds. Bonnie posted about a product that's organic and does kill them, but it has a short shelf life and needs to be applied as soon as they start to show. It's like BT for G-Hoppers. Aside from trying that next spring I'm going to keep the pasture mowed real low next season so they are more exposed to the birds as they move in...we'll see.

Enjoy Sunday!

Outta likes, Jason! Gorgeous poddage; almost bought the BOC and little brown egg seed from Bjarne but am holding off, for now. Wait until he gets some BG7 seeds in as well. I have a few I from some pods Shane sent; great review of that btw. Great reviews overall. Rain and grasshoppers seem to . . . at least for our area. I never had them as a problem before. Damnable rain this year!

And am sorry about your back. Feel for you . . .  having that crappy issue as well. Even if it feels like being butchered sometimes, at least I can move.

Love that flea market table. I'd had to have relieved you of some pods! Peace, hon.

Useless grasshoppers  :shame: you can never have enough seeds of a nice variety. Does the Jonah plant have pods that all look like that or just a few? Might be fun to keep those seeds on the side.

Back