• We welcome content that is not political, divisive, or offensive. If we feel your content leans this way or has the potential to, it may be removed at any time. A hot pepper forum is not the place for such content. Thank you for respecting the community!

Getting Fit!

Chilidude said:
You may have poor diet. Add fish, eggs, vegetables/fruits and good oils in you diet.

And lean meats. At around 100 calories for 4 ounces of grilled chicken, it is really really tough to eat too many calories before you are stuffed.

6-8 ounces of chicken and steamed veggies and you have a good dinner for under 250 calories. (I save all the calories I can for beer). :D

Jeff H said:

And lean meats. At around 100 calories for 4 ounces of grilled chicken, it is really really tough to eat too many calories before you are stuffed.

6-8 ounces of chicken and steamed veggies and you have a good dinner for under 250 calories. (I save all the calories I can for beer). :D

Whole grain bread and porridge in there too with some oil added+bunch of nuts in the morning. Combine that with few bananas+milk and you cant eat too much at all before you feel full.

We are 80% game diet here. Fish, venison, whatever the mouser brings in :twisted: .

I also grow the bulk of our vegetables. Between May 15 and the 4th of July we eat asparagus every other night. Our neighbors raise free range birdage, chicken, turkey, duck and eggs from all. Ever have a turkey egg? They are 3 chicken eggs EACH. You just have to scrub the turkey shit of them, they aren't very hygienic at all...

I also take omega 3 sups.

If I have any dietary issues, it would be portioning, but my Nurse Ratchet wife has successfully trained me to like my fingers intact....

Trust me, I wish it WAS diet.

My guess would be that something with your nutritional balance is off.  Is what you're eating throughout the day balanced?  Eating less calories does = weight loss, but also a metabolic slow down.  So if you cut a bunch of calories and then slip up and have a cheat day or two it worse than if you just allowed yourself a bit extra on a more regular basis.  Also, remember that muscle is heavier than fat, and your body might be losing fat but at the same time developing muscle.  When I need to weight cut I use a food tracker app on my phone.  There are a bunch of free ones out there.  I used myfitnesspal in the past.  You enter in your information and your weight loss goal over a certain period of time and it will help you figure out how many calories you need to maintain and to lose weight.  Its pretty eye opening to see what you think is "healthy" ends up being full of sugars or fats.  You also can see what nutrients and minerals you're getting. 

Rawkstah said:
My guess would be that something with your nutritional balance is off.  Is what you're eating throughout the day balanced?  Eating less calories does = weight loss, but also a metabolic slow down.  So if you cut a bunch of calories and then slip up and have a cheat day or two it worse than if you just allowed yourself a bit extra on a more regular basis.  Also, remember that muscle is heavier than fat, and your body might be losing fat but at the same time developing muscle.  When I need to weight cut I use a food tracker app on my phone.  There are a bunch of free ones out there.  I used myfitnesspal in the past.  You enter in your information and your weight loss goal over a certain period of time and it will help you figure out how many calories you need to maintain and to lose weight.  Its pretty eye opening to see what you think is "healthy" ends up being full of sugars or fats.  You also can see what nutrients and minerals you're getting. 
Thanks for that, and yes, a lot of "adjustment" has been going on and will continue until positive results. Thanks for the app idea, never even thought of it.

I'm sorting through ingredient content of my diet too, trying to eliminate fructose (harder than I thought), carbs and even glucose. A solution is out there.

stettoman said:
 A solution is out there.
no BS stetto.............vegan diet is where its at!

i was always a gym rat, and thinking i was eating  clean....grilled this, brown that...forget that...go green!

you can do it! 

animals and mother earth and your body will thank you

hardcore said:
no BS stetto.............vegan diet is where its at!

i was always a gym rat, and thinking i was eating  clean....grilled this, brown that...forget that...go green!

you can do it! 

animals and mother earth and your body will thank you

I was never a gym rat. I did, however, work construction after my music career, 12 hour days and 7 day weeks makes Johnny a pretty fit boy. I ate like a pro football player and stayed pretty damn buff.

Speaking of the music career, the bands I played and toured with weren't your standard "stand there and play yer guitar" types. There were some pretty active shows...

Vegan? I don't doubt your sincerity and faith, but I was born with a large hank of maple-cured bacon in my mouth, carne is a lifestyle I would just never have the ability nor desire to abandon.

Portion adjustment? Yeah, I'm doing that, and it doesn't really take the conscious effort that I once believed it would. I just need a dominatrix sitting with me at meals....

I don't have any professional background yet in nutrition other than what I was required to learn to get my personal training certification, but I will say one of the things they hammered hard was carb cutting really isn't a long term solution.  The body needs carbs, especially when you are exercising, it is where most of your energy comes from.  Carbs have gotten a bad rap because of refined flour and fried foods.  Potatoes are actually not horrible for you if they aren't covered in oil, butter, cheese, salt, etc.  I was tracking my macros for a while when I was cutting weight this past month and my intake was about 60% carbs, 15-20% fat, and 20-25% protein. I lost 7+lbs in a month and a half.  My carbs mostly came from brown rice, potatoes, fruits and veggies. High protein diets can do more harm than good, but I know that they can help jump start weight loss.  If used for an extended period of time though, it can cause stress to the kidneys, requires more water for digestion, and if it is lots of red meat there is an increases risk for heart disease.  (That being said my dad has heart disease and was put on a high protein diet by a medical professional, they had him drinking a ton of water and slowly started introducing more carbs. His results at the time were good. He was being monitored, exercising, and had appointments every few weeks with his doc.)

I get your attachment to your meat, even as someone that doesn't eat meat, there are just things that we as humans find comfort in and have no desire to abandon.  Like you said, portion control is where that factors in.  The US tends to over eat in the meat and dairy departments, if you look at the numbers from 20, 30, 50 years ago the consumption of these products have skyrocketed.  In the attempts to produce more meat and dairy, corners have been cut. The chicken breast your eat today is not the same as yesteryear as an example.  The chickens grow faster, and while the birds are getting bigger they're also more fatty and not eating the same nutritional profile they used to.  Same thing can be said about grass-fed beef, it tends to be leaner than a corn chewin' cow.  So my recommendation when you are eating meat is to look for local farmers to purchase from, and if that isn't possible splurge for the grass fed stuff at the supermarket. It will be leaner and have a better nutritional make up than a factory farmed counterpart. 

I also swap things out for healthier options and try to reduce consumption of stuff overtime.  Like chickpea based pasta noodles instead of wheat, or using avocado instead of mayo. I weaned myself off most sweets and adding sugar to coffee.  Little changes start to add up over time.  And your cravings will subside too.  I used to be a cookie monster, now i rarely get that craving (but if you put them in front of me all bets are off). 

I am starting a nutrition certification soon, and when I have more of a legit knowledge base I'd be happy to help ya further, but if you think this is something beyond nutrition it might be worth while to talk to a doctor.  Sometimes there are imbalances that need to be addressed by a professional.

We've actually cleared our pantry of the usual pastas and are now stocked with whole grain, not to mention our pasta maker will be learning to make rice and whole wheat types, along with flours I make from garden vegetables...

Our daughter has a girlfriend who is gluten intolerant, so you know what our pantry also contains, which I'm told is also good for guys like me who are doing lifestyle change stuff.

I do not remember the last fast food joint I ate from. It has been that many years. Sit down restaurants happen for us perhaps twice a year, unless we're travelling.

I sneak a Milky Way or a Kit Kat mini out of the Halloween bucket every year. Other than the protein bars I breakfast on, that's my candy intake.

Problem I'm running into is the recipes I'm stealing from the membership here. I should be banned from the BBQ/Smoker forum and a lot of Scovie's posts.

Our chicken is free range, beef is purchased from the farmer by the side, along with whole hogs and game & fish I harvest myself. Organic chicken was the strangest to get used to, no vitamins, steroids, antibiotics make the meat taste unnatural, especially if you've spent your life eating out of various Super Values and Piggly Wiggly's.

Do a map quest search for Callaway MN, set on satellite view. Then you'll understand what we live in the middle of.

You guys are really helpful, I was actually just dropping in to see if anyone else has been on that Bowflex machine, but then I talk too much....I'll take heed of a lot of the advice here and report back at a point I think things are improving...

Perhaps asked here and answered before, so apologies if this is the case.

As a younger man, I worked out, ran etc.. almost effortlessly it seemed. I'm much older now (50)  and the past four months I've been hitting the gym after work for an hour or so, trying to lose a few lbs and get my cardio back up, so I'm not so exhausted after a "scuffle." I have found out (and here is my question)  that almost every instance it seems as though I get intense "heartburn" I guess you would call it. I can negate it with much water after my workout, but during, it really gets me. I haven't approached my peers about it (vanity reasons) but I know that here I believe you guys will shoot it to me straight. I tried adjusting what I ate for lunch and when, but it seems to happen regardless, at no other instances other than when I "work out."  Is it just me or what is the deal? Real question and I would respect real answers...

Thanks in advance,

Reggie

yo warrantman,

get it checked out friend

so after 4 months, has your training plan made a difference in your health?

and if i may...dont pay so much attention on the scale.....put most of your effort in picking up the pace and distance of your cardio training.

want to to open your lungs?  train up hill

WarrantMan said:
Perhaps asked here and answered before, so apologies if this is the case.

As a younger man, I worked out, ran etc.. almost effortlessly it seemed. I'm much older now (50)  and the past four months I've been hitting the gym after work for an hour or so, trying to lose a few lbs and get my cardio back up, so I'm not so exhausted after a "scuffle." I have found out (and here is my question)  that almost every instance it seems as though I get intense "heartburn" I guess you would call it. I can negate it with much water after my workout, but during, it really gets me. I haven't approached my peers about it (vanity reasons) but I know that here I believe you guys will shoot it to me straight. I tried adjusting what I ate for lunch and when, but it seems to happen regardless, at no other instances other than when I "work out."  Is it just me or what is the deal? Real question and I would respect real answers...

Thanks in advance,

Reggie
Heya.  So exercise heartburn is a thing, and it could very well be what you are experiencing.  There are foods to avoid and tips like eating well before a work out so the food and stomach acid don't get pushed around.  However, I don't want to be an alarmist but I would recommend seeing a doctor since this has been an on going issue.  My pops ignored what he thought was heart burn, he'd even claims that when he'd drink water it made it feel better.  He ended up having a heart attack one evening after a "heartburn" episode.  Not saying this is your case, but its best to be safe than sorry.  Since it is an ongoing issue, even if it is a mild case of GERD, a doctor would probably be the best person to help ya out. 

I called the Surgical nurse and asked if i could start cycling again, she just laughed and said NO!!! I was like but it's been a week after surgery already!!!! She was like I will smash you in the face with my clipboard!!!

One a lighter note, Sic is right, I can drop 4-5 pounds a day cycling, pretty sure it's just water weight but weight loss is weight loss lol.

Get a bike Stetto! Cheers! 

Back