• Start a personal food blog, or, start a community food thread for all.

Gluten Free cooking with fire

Ok, Since I discovered I have Celiacs, I have been challenged with recreating some of our favorite recipes without wheat flour (which is in almost everything tasty to eat). Panko is one of my favorite breading for ......well, almost everything. I found that Rice chex can be crushed to create a Panko like gluten free alternative... Tonight, I made baked wings. Out of a basic recipe, I made Sauced wings with a typical wing sauce of hot sauce and butter and Parmesan wings.
Heat your oven to 425
foil line and spray shallow pans with non stick spray
Coat your cut wings with a mix of gluten free bisquick (or whatever gluten free flour you have on hand), garlic, pepper, and hot pepper powder of your choice ( I used Bhut)
Dip in egg wash (mix of egg, and water or milk {I used milk. for the Parm wings I added equal parts Paul Neaman's Italian dressing to the egg wash})
Coat the wings in crushed Chex. I added shredded Parm and Italian seasoning to Chex for the Parm wings.
Bake for 45 min.

Below are the pics. These where AWES"OME.....Please share your Gluten free recipes here!!!!!!!!

007_zps7463a7c9.jpg

003_zps34de73de.jpg

013_zpsb3fa73d3.jpg

Nice job Lady Sic!!!! Those wangs look crunchy AND juicy!!!!!

I've played around with gluten-free a bit in the past...if I come across any of my old favs, I'll pass them on! :)

Keep on posting your treasures!!!!! :D

THX CJ. They were actually the crunchest wings I have ever made. I have a few more "experiments" I will post in the next few days. PM me the cold soup recipe. I am craving it. :drooling:

Thanks HTH.

I was surprised how well the crushed chex worked for this recipe. If anyone has really good gluten free recipes, please share them here.
Thanks all!

Great idea for a thread LadySic! Since people are becoming more aware of Celiacs, recipes like yours are becoming more and more popular. Those wings look fantastic! And I'm glad you finally found out what is wrong with Sicman. :rofl:

This is a great thread. I have a step-cousin who was diagnosed... everything needs to be gluten-free for her. I got schooled on all sorts of that matter during Noche Buena (Cuban Christmas Eve) last December. I'm non-Cuban, and yet I'm the only one in that family that can create this meal to perfection [without purchasing it from a restaurant]... strange. I've taken my other step-cousin under my wing on this matter. He learned how to prepare fried Yucca last year.

I bought canned black beans from Publix for this meal... turns out it had "additional flavors" which were not specified, but I was told "USUALLY that indicates it's NOT gluten-free." Whoops! HUGE learning curve when it comes to gluten-free cooking.

Thanks for bringing this topic up LadySic.

Those look mighty fine! My son is Autistic and we tried eliminating gluten in his diet for a long time. Its in EVERYthing lol!!
I'll be checking your gluten free posts. Thanks for posting!

Plus, I'm down with anything that has Rice Chex!! :dance:

Thanks guys!
Sum....you are a heck of a cook and you have the crowns to prove it! Bushes Black Beans are gluten free for future reference. :)

Chewi.....Yeah, I was surprised to learn the affects of gluten for those with autism. Heck, I was surprised to learn that any combination of about 300 symptoms can be present for those with gluten sensativity and intolerance. Even asthma, bi polar disorder, hashimotos thyroiditis can be attributed to celiac.

I am using rice chex in ways I would never have thought about before....
yay for Rice Chex :D

Tried GF Bisquick for a tempura batter for Pork Bites this am.

Whipped up some GF bisquick, unsweetened vanilla almond milk, and two beaten eggs (our eggs are fresh, very small gamebird eggs, so you may only need one large egg). Seasoned the batter with GF garlic powder, coarse black pepper, and Marjoram leaves. Mr. Sic is not using salt, so I don't cook with it anymore. A pinch would be perfect added to the list. I forgot to add my jalapeno powder....coffee hadn't kicked in yet.....so just used Sriracha hot chili sauce to dip the bites (yum). I didn't measure anything....just eyeballed it.....mixed the batter to a medium consistancy.

Cut pork shoulder steaks into bite size pieces. Dusted pieces thoroughly with dry Bisquick and then dipped pieces in batter. Fried in canola oil.

Turned out tasty! We don't do a lot of frying anymore because a lot of the GF products do not have a very good texture. The GF Bisquick as a tempura batter turned out very crispy and light... NOT grainy like some others. Very quick and easy.
002_zpse86d8ced.jpg

004_zps76b4b2f6.jpg

009_zps8cbe9ec6.jpg

So ... I'm totally in on this thread ... I don't fare well w/ the majority of the wheat family and I managed to eliminate them for the most part for a number of years ...

Come by the diagnosis by the antibody labs or confirmed w/ biopsy? ... There's a gradient of severity of gluten sensitivity/intolerance that shows up in lab work and is not fully celiac ...

Anyways, I'll definitely be thinking of the things I was making while I operated under the assumption that I had celiac ...

Cheers!

Back