• Start a personal food blog, or, start a community food thread for all.

Gluten Free cooking with fire

Ok, Since I discovered I have Celiacs, I have been challenged with recreating some of our favorite recipes without wheat flour (which is in almost everything tasty to eat). Panko is one of my favorite breading for ......well, almost everything. I found that Rice chex can be crushed to create a Panko like gluten free alternative... Tonight, I made baked wings. Out of a basic recipe, I made Sauced wings with a typical wing sauce of hot sauce and butter and Parmesan wings.
Heat your oven to 425
foil line and spray shallow pans with non stick spray
Coat your cut wings with a mix of gluten free bisquick (or whatever gluten free flour you have on hand), garlic, pepper, and hot pepper powder of your choice ( I used Bhut)
Dip in egg wash (mix of egg, and water or milk {I used milk. for the Parm wings I added equal parts Paul Neaman's Italian dressing to the egg wash})
Coat the wings in crushed Chex. I added shredded Parm and Italian seasoning to Chex for the Parm wings.
Bake for 45 min.

Below are the pics. These where AWES"OME.....Please share your Gluten free recipes here!!!!!!!!

007_zps7463a7c9.jpg

003_zps34de73de.jpg

013_zpsb3fa73d3.jpg

Let cool
Finished product.

007_zps10f8f28d.jpg

009_zps46556f22.jpg

011_zpsdba00164.jpg

I've already eaten.... like 12?...and I don't feel one bit guilty about it!.
They are savory and yummy and warm! They are heavier and have an almost quiche like texture. Kind of a fingertips casserole. You must like quinoa to enjoy these. The nutty flavor of the quinoa really comes through. I don't know what it is about quinoa, but I always get a sustained energy boost. LOOOOVE the stuff!

DA-YUUUUUM S! You are seriously rockin' the GF baked goods somethin' fierce!!!!!
When I go GF, I don't even pretend there's gonna be a baked anything in my future!!! haha
You're doing an excellent job! :)

...know what would go really goooooood with those savory muffins?????
You're incredible sausage gravy!!!! Have you figured out how to GF THAT yet?!?!?!?!?! :drooling:

Thanks for sharing all of your awesome discoveries!!! I'm luvin' it! :D

I have not made the gravy! I haven't even thought about it lately. Good call! However, that leads me to another challenge........Biscuit making. Thanks CJ! I will start playing around with that in the am.

Rightio i found it, 3rd Pizza book i went through, now i haven't tried it but other recipes from the book have been great, Author is a "World Pizza Champion"

Anywho,

Gluten-Free Dough (makes 2 x 170g / 6 oz dough balls)

1 1/2 oz Cornflour/Cornstarch
1 1/2 oz rice flour
1 1/2 oz tapioca flour
1 1/2 oz fine yellow polenta, plus a little extra for dusting
1/4 tsp bicarb soda
1 tbsp salt
2 eggs, lightly beaten
2 3/4 fl oz olive oil
4 fl oz mineral water

All dry ingredients in a mix, and mix well

On low speed continue to mix, gradually add combined eggs, oil, mineral water and knead for 10 minutes.

Divide dough in half, place on baking paper lined tray, cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 1 hour.

Dust two pieces of baking paper with polenta, then roll out each portion of dough onto them into 2 x 12inch rounds. Be very gentle with the dough as it has no gluten

You are set

I am stoked.........yes, I said said stoked.....about two things..........cooking biscuits and gravy again, and making Booma pizza. Booma pizza might take a few days. Living in the stix has it's disadvantages.

Ah no problems hopefully works out ok, I think I might even give it a crack next week to see how it turns out.

I'm sure the stixs have a hell of a lot of pros though

Admittedly things like pizza and pasta don't really settle that we'll with me but I'm too stubborn not too eat these type of things.

Couldn't bring myself to make biscuits, so I just used the bread I baked the other day........
My grandfather called this SOS.......( s*#t on a shingle, lol )
I used Jimmy Dean hot Sausage, butter, onion and garlic powder, salt and pepper, and BRM all purpose flour and milk
I seared the bread and added cheesy scrambled eggs

001_zps53c92430.jpg

002_zps8d2968ec.jpg

003_zpsccdc9194.jpg

004_zps8a05e45c.jpg

006_zpsaa74dacb.jpg

No one ever said gluten free was fat and calorie free

Chex mix for croutons......
Rice chex, butter, italian seasoning, grated parmesan, touch of bhut powder for heat
toss chex, seasonings, and cheese in melted butter. Bake at 375 until golden brown

001_zpsa49c7d1d.jpg

Couldn't bring myself to make biscuits, so I just used the bread I baked the other day........
My grandfather called this SOS.......( s*#t on a shingle, lol )
I used Jimmy Dean hot Sausage, butter, onion and garlic powder, salt and pepper, and BRM all purpose flour and milk
I seared the bread and added cheesy scrambled eggs

001_zps53c92430.jpg

002_zps8d2968ec.jpg

003_zpsccdc9194.jpg

004_zps8a05e45c.jpg

006_zpsaa74dacb.jpg

No one ever said gluten free was fat and calorie free
this stuff is money!!!!!

calorie shamlorie. its gluten free that means i can eat all i want right ;)

no gluten in vodka either! i might just live to be a hundred.

Here is a great recipe for Cold Soup.
Chili Juju and Scovie made it when they came for a visit last year, and CJ was awecome in sending me the recipe!! Love ya!

Super Easy! (I'm all about super easy!) It's sooo good on a warm day....

[background=rgb(255, 244, 228)]1 lrg bottle V8[/background]
[background=rgb(255, 244, 228)]1 lrg bottle Clamato[/background]
[background=rgb(255, 244, 228)]1 or 2 pkgs cream cheese, cubed[/background]
[background=rgb(255, 244, 228)]1 or 2 avocados, cubed[/background]
[background=rgb(255, 244, 228)]1# baby, or bay, shrimp[/background]
[background=rgb(255, 244, 228)]chopped green onions or chives[/background]
[background=rgb(255, 244, 228)]a few shakes of Tabasco[/background]

[background=rgb(255, 244, 228)]I made 1/2 recipe with 1 avo, 1 pkg cream cheese (Philly is gf, but look at the ingredients in the other brands....sometimes you'll find it in there), [/background]
[background=rgb(255, 244, 228)]1/2 bottles of Clamato and V8, and a full bag a precooked salad shrimp.[/background]
[background=rgb(255, 244, 228)]In addition to the green onion, I added finely chopped Parsley (2 tbsp of fresh parsley give you 71% of your vitamin K DA) [/background]
Chopped fresh Lime Basil, a squeeze of fresh lime, garlic powder and a sprinkle of BHUT powder

instant yum!
0052_zpse6ea5569.jpg

This is the healthiest thing I have made all weeK!

Chex mix, a staple in my GF home makes it's appearance in my mac and cheese. I sub it for crushed crackers or bread crumbs in all recipes that call for it

I found this recipe a few years ago and served it at a Christmas Eve dinner we had every year.......None of it....and I mean NONE of it ever makes it through the night.

011_zpsa13c722e.jpg

013_zps3b43d79e.jpg

8oz pkg of GF pasta twists
8 oz sour cream
12 oz cottage cheese (Breakstones or Kraft are safe...otherwise check the lable
the recipe calls for 8 oz of shredded cheddar......I use 16 oz of extra sharp NY cheddar
salt and pepper
1/4 cup of butter
I use about two cups of crushed chex tossed in the butter
Bake at 350 for 40 minutes,
I suggest letting it cool a few minutes befor serving

OOps, I left out the 1/4 cup of grated Parm

that mac and cheeze is awesome!!!!!!! to bad you let your son take all of it home :mope:

as i type this one of the sadest things is on the news. a truck filled with german beer has ran off a bridge into water in tampa. this is terrible i hope they some how get the beer out,,,and i guess i hope the driver is ok?

I was just reading about that! I was thinking of skipping out of work and going over to the sight of the accident and see if I can't be some assistance. I'm a great swimmer and a motivated drunk. I could probably help remove all beer from the scene.

Oh and thanks a lot. Now I'm cravin' mac n cheese BAD... Looks awesome.

Not a fan of cold soups though.... but I'd pick them shrimps and cream cheese cubes out and eat em.

Another use for quinoa......breading

I toast the dry quinoa in aMed to Med High skillet until brown
I toss it in a spice grinder (coffee grinder would work, too) and grind it down fine
add whatever spices and herbs

For these chicken tenders, I added some....yes, you guessed it, Finely ground chex. The ratio is probably 3/4 quinoa to 1/4 chex
002_zpsb24b7efd.jpg

Next, dredge the tenders in GF flour, dip in egg, roll in the mix pictured above and fry

007_zps10c36c27.jpg

005_zps14e8ddd4.jpg

The potatoes are dusted in GF flour, garlic and onion powder....and fried. After plating, add a shake of parmesan cheese and seared green onion and fresh parsley

Back