• Start a personal food blog, or, start a community food thread for all.

Gluten Free cooking with fire

Ok, Since I discovered I have Celiacs, I have been challenged with recreating some of our favorite recipes without wheat flour (which is in almost everything tasty to eat). Panko is one of my favorite breading for ......well, almost everything. I found that Rice chex can be crushed to create a Panko like gluten free alternative... Tonight, I made baked wings. Out of a basic recipe, I made Sauced wings with a typical wing sauce of hot sauce and butter and Parmesan wings.
Heat your oven to 425
foil line and spray shallow pans with non stick spray
Coat your cut wings with a mix of gluten free bisquick (or whatever gluten free flour you have on hand), garlic, pepper, and hot pepper powder of your choice ( I used Bhut)
Dip in egg wash (mix of egg, and water or milk {I used milk. for the Parm wings I added equal parts Paul Neaman's Italian dressing to the egg wash})
Coat the wings in crushed Chex. I added shredded Parm and Italian seasoning to Chex for the Parm wings.
Bake for 45 min.

Below are the pics. These where AWES"OME.....Please share your Gluten free recipes here!!!!!!!!

007_zps7463a7c9.jpg

003_zps34de73de.jpg

013_zpsb3fa73d3.jpg

Gluten free Bisquick? MMMMMMMMMMMM pork enveloped in a pancake. Paris Hilton just texted me, "That's hot."
Funny, but I made pancakes with the GF Bisquick......
they sucked!

OOOOOOOoooooooh SONYA! Those wings look truly delish!
Thank you Geemee!

Come by the diagnosis by the antibody labs or confirmed w/ biopsy? ... There's a gradient of severity of gluten sensitivity/intolerance that shows up in lab work and is not fully celiac ...

Antibodies present. I did not undergo a biopsy to see how damaged the villi are, so I don't have a complete diagnosis. I had become very ill, and I suspected my Thyroid levels were off since I am hypothyroid. I was so tired, I barely got out of bed unless I had to. I could barely function. My joints hurt terribly and I couldn't keep my thoughts in order. I started to feel emotionally and mentally irrational. My face and body swelled uncontrollably. I could go on and on, but I'll stop there.

Initial bloodwork uncovered severe anemia and vitamin deficiency. Thyroid was borderline. Dr. ordered further testing. We discussed gluten as the culprit. I quit gluten and dosed on liquid vitamins. By the time I went back for results, I had dropped 10 lbs, all the swelling was gone, and my energy was returning in leaps and bounds. The trauma from a vehicle accident I had in September may have triggered the full blown onset. Prior to that I was gluten sensitive, and had been off and on gluten.

Anyway, DR said improvement was dramatic, and I should (as you said) operate under the assumption I am Celiac and stay gluten free. As sick as I became, I have no desire to return to my previous diet. I honest to goodness thought I was dying. Well, I guess I was since I wasn't getting adequate vitamins and minerals from my food.

Anyways, I'll definitely be thinking of the things I was making while I operated under the assumption that I had celiac ...
That would be wonderful!

the best gluten free thing i ever had was these pre made,frozen rectuangle pizza crust thangs. Sonya has tried numerous times for a homemade gf crust and this seems to be the hardest thing to recreate. dont get me wrong i still will get up at midnight like "dagwood" and eat two pieces and have a nice glass of milk. but we have to get a crust down that tastes better.

jay t can you please get on some research please :rofl:

p.s. a few years ago lady sic brought me home a sixer of gf beer. its made by budweiser. if you only drank beer once in awhile and only drank 1 beer when you did and really wanted a beer. then it was ok. but try drinking a 6 pack of that crap,it sat in the fridge for a a couple days which is 100 years in beer life for me.

the best gluten free thing i ever had was these pre made,frozen rectuangle pizza crust thangs. Sonya has tried numerous times for a homemade gf crust and this seems to be the hardest thing to recreate. dont get me wrong i still will get up at midnight like "dagwood" and eat two pieces and have a nice glass of milk. but we have to get a crust down that tastes better.

jay t can you please get on some research please :rofl:

While I am not really all that up on gluten free cooking. Have seen this, and from what I read about it, its the best g/f all-purpose flour you will find.

http://www.bobsredmi...il.php?rid=1426

Antibodies present. I did not undergo a biopsy to see how damaged the villi are, so I don't have a complete diagnosis. I had become very ill, and I suspected my Thyroid levels were off since I am hypothyroid. I was so tired, I barely got out of bed unless I had to. I could barely function. My joints hurt terribly and I couldn't keep my thoughts in order. I started to feel emotionally and mentally irrational. My face and body swelled uncontrollably. I could go on and on, but I'll stop there.

Initial bloodwork uncovered severe anemia and vitamin deficiency. Thyroid was borderline. Dr. ordered further testing. We discussed gluten as the culprit. I quit gluten and dosed on liquid vitamins. By the time I went back for results, I had dropped 10 lbs, all the swelling was gone, and my energy was returning in leaps and bounds. The trauma from a vehicle accident I had in September may have triggered the full blown onset. Prior to that I was gluten sensitive, and had been off and on gluten.

My conversations with my Dr and Google research seem to indicate that you pay a much less harsh toll for passing a small amount through when you are gluten intolerant, compared to celiac proper ... people with biopsy dx'd celiac often perf/bleed from amazingly small doses in terms of volume ...

Hopefully you'll (what I consider lucky in myself) only have to be aware of and avoid wheat/semolina for the most part, and still be able to weather the times when it's unknowingly present in foods you didn't prepare w/o much difficulty ... that's how it goes for me, anyways ...

My pizza bibles, mentions a GF pizza base recipe, i'll look into it

I'll be posting savory quinoa mini muf
fins tomorrow.

My pizza bibles, mentions a GF pizza base recipe, i'll look into it
Looking forward to trying it! BTW, your fish and chips look AWESOOOOME!

While I am not really all that up on gluten free cooking. Have seen this, and from what I read about it, its the best g/f all-purpose flour you will find.

http://www.bobsredmi...il.php?rid=1426

Tried the Bob's pizza dough.....maybe I prepared it wrong.......it had the consistancy if wet particle board that had been mixed then baked. We ate the pizza, but the texture was offensive.

GM.......with or without proper DX, I am religiously sticking to the GF lifestyle.......(my poor husband..)
It's just not worth the flare up......

Maybe, I'll make some carrot cake quinoa mini muffins while I'm at it..........

Since what we had at Darwin's....I've been addicted to quinoa!!!!!

I still haven't been able to recreate how it was prepared there tho.
I keep thinking "I'll just stir fry the leftovers"....but there aren't ever any leftovers!!!!!!!!!

I'll be posting savory quinoa mini muf
fins tomorrow.

Looking forward to trying it! BTW, your fish and chips look AWESOOOOME!

Tried the Bob's pizza dough.....maybe I prepared it wrong.......it had the consistancy if wet particle board that had been mixed then baked. We ate the pizza, but the texture was offensive.

I just meant to use their all purpose flour, and most of the recipes I saw called for Xanthan gum did you use that?

CJ.........ummmmmm......Darwin's!

JT........I haven't tried the all purpose, just the pizza dough. Can't find xanthum gum or guar gum locally....I'm going to order it on line. I do have some BRM bread mix in the cupboard that I need to make. Purhaps, I'll make that tomorrow also, since I'm baking.

I have a friend who makes pizza crust from shredded zucchini! There are quite a few recipes online for it.

I mean, it's not turning an apple into an orange or anything, but pretty darn tasty with all the pizza toppings!!!!

Oh yeah ... let me get out my tiny violin for all the meat and fats he'll be suffering though! =)

Lol.....well, he's not missing out there.....but I won't kiss him if he's drinking a beer....
..who knows, maybe you guys don't really need all that kissyface stuff.....
..just throw ya some bacon encrusted.. anything, and the world is a good place : )

I have a friend who makes pizza crust from shredded zucchini! There are quite a few recipes online for it.

I mean, it's not turning an apple into an orange or anything, but pretty darn tasty with all the pizza toppings!!!!
I like apples, oranges, and zucchini! I'll look it up!

Didn't manage to make the muffins yesterday, but I did bake the bread mix from Bob's Red Mill GF selections. I did not add anything spicy to it, so not exactly cooking with fire......but it will be eaten WITH any number of spicy foods. I will use this mix again, and will add to it or create spicy rolls with it. There are directions on line for a pizza crust, so I will try that too.

The bread was not difficult to make. You just have to have about 2 hours for prep, rising, and baking. Just follow the directions and have butter, eggs, and cider vinegar on hand. You can bake it in a bread machine or in the conventional oven. I baked conventional.

Overall, a decent GF bread. It's heavier than wheat bread, but light for a GF bread. The texture is good. It's not brittle, crumbly, or pasty, and it retained moisture in the baking process.

IMAG0064_zps057c4399.jpg

IMAG00651_zpsff6c11f1.jpg

Started the muffins.

2 cups quinoa cooked
1 cup minced Spinach
3/4 cup cream corn (check your ingredients to ensure GF)
1/2 cup Bushes black beans
1/2 cup shredded NY sharp cheddar
2/3 cup milk
1/3 cup GF Bisquick
1 whole large egg and one egg white beaten
2 tbsp melted butter
1 tbsp Sonya's Jalapeno Season All (Jal powder, garlic powder, lemon peel,salt, course ground pepper, tarragon)

002_zps7584c490.jpg

Preheat oven to 375
MIx quinoa, spinach, blk beans, corn, cheese, and seasoning in one bowl.
Mix Bisquick and milk until smooth. Add beaten eggs and butter
Combine all.

004_zps75483116.jpg

005_zps49ad0973.jpg

Spoon into greased mini muffin tins. Will make about 36
Top with additional cheese
Bake for 35 to 40 minutes
006_zpsfeb7d590.jpg

Back