beer =[ GM's 1st 16x Batches, and/or 10 mo. Brewing ]=

Force-carb'ing the ever-loving crap out of the Wild in the Sacch batch right now ...

Planning to at least have a little taste in a little while - there's time =)

Couldn't wait for carving to taste =)

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1453694860.586962.jpg

This one's going to be nice!

So, now, I have to figure out how to do a yeast-series Brett Trois IPA where I come behind the Trois w/ a yeast that excels at taking the reigns for going past 7% ...

I can see a shootout of 2nd yeasts to the Trois, probably like WLP099, US-05, Danstar CBC-1, Champagne, and perhaps Brett Clausenii ...

Look for this to happen real soon.

wheebz said:
or scrap trois all together and stick with brett C like a real man

hybrid strains are for pussies

brett c., start to finish, alone ...

that's like a two week starter, right? ... a week w/ like 800mL, then a 2nd 800mL addition to it, then another week on the plate ... with like 2 days of it sitting still at the end to get started going before pitching? ...

grantmichaels said:
brett c., start to finish, alone ...

that's like a two week starter, right? ... a week w/ like 800mL, then a 2nd 800mL addition to it, then another week on the plate ... with like 2 days of it sitting still at the end to get started going before pitching? ...
So just googled that yeast. Would the 2-week starter help with what seems like a slow fermenting yeast? Do you use it to achieveva grapefruit flavor?

tctenten said:
So just googled that yeast. Would the 2-week starter help with what seems like a slow fermenting yeast? Do you use it to achieveva grapefruit flavor?

It comes with a low cell count and doesn't work quickly, I guess ...

It's more tortoise than hare ...

I think the primary note might be pineapple, though, if I recall ...

I happen to have a vial ... as it turns out.

what do you mean a slow fermenter?

Brett C is my singular house saison strain, and I used it on a couple of IPA's that turned out really good

thats all I use, i dont blend it, I use it as a primary strain and it finishes out within 3 or 4 days

and why would you make a starter over 2 weeks?

Dude, I can pitch a single vial into a 1.5L starter, pitch it the next 24 to 36 hours into 12 gallons, and have it be more than enough yeast, in fact thats EXACTLY what I did with a collaboration I did with Conshohocken brewery in Philadelphia, and it was amazing.

Took their IPA recipe, brewed it with my yeast and my fermentation schedule, and it was great, dry hopped and all

wheebz said:
what do you mean a slow fermenter?

Brett C is my singular house saison strain, and I used it on a couple of IPA's that turned out really good

thats all I use, i dont blend it, I use it as a primary strain and it finishes out within 3 or 4 days

and why would you make a starter over 2 weeks?

Dude, I can pitch a single vial into a 1.5L starter, pitch it the next 24 to 36 hours into 12 gallons, and have it be more than enough yeast, in fact thats EXACTLY what I did with a collaboration I did with Conshohocken brewery in Philadelphia, and it was amazing.

Took their IPA recipe, brewed it with my yeast and my fermentation schedule, and it was great, dry hopped and all

I was reading the crazy hop scientist guy, Scott Janish, a while back ...

WLP644 – White Labs Brettanomyces Bruxellensis Trois, 1 vial in 1 liter starter at room temperature for 5 days then added another liter of wort for another 5 days at room temperature. Removed from stir plate for last 2 days.

Your one vial of white labs comes with enough yeast to pitch a 5 gallon beer WITHOUT making a starter

The brett cultures come with 1/3rd of the yeast, so enough to make 1.75 gallons of beer thats 14P or less, without a starter

You could make a starter, have that yeast load multiply 4 to 6 times in 24 hours, and still have more than enough to pitch 10 gallons, let alone the 3 gallon batches you do

Even if you read the Wyeast website where they show you how to prop up their yeast for commercial pitching, you can do it in a day

I used to pitch 35 gallons of finished wort with two 1.6L starters that I would make usually less than 24 hours before hand, and it would be fermenting by the time I left work 2 or 3 hours later. I have never had attenuation issues, and you know I absolutely hate more than anything beers that don't attenuate

Back