beer =[ GM's 1st 16x Batches, and/or 10 mo. Brewing ]=

Whenever Inhave a ferment going in my freezer there is a smell that builds up in the freezer. It's not really a bad scent really more like a fermenting smell. Wheebz might say different but I'd let it go and see what it does.

I'm totally letting it go, and I figure the longer I wait to check the gravity, the less chance there is for anything additional to be introduced ... or, the less hospitable the beer would be for what will be introduced, to be more accurate.

I think I brewed some more beer, but I have a little nagging fear that the recirculating pump allowed A LOT of air/wort surface contact over the extended period of the wort chilling. I had the lid mostly on, obviously (since the out from the pump passes through it), but the immersion chiller causes it to be open about an inch ...

The thing I knew, but you just don't REALLY grok until you experience it - is how sharply the effectiveness of the chilling drops off as the disparity in temps is reduced.

I will not be lazy and use tap water alone again. Now I know, no big deal.

I am going to mom's in a bit, but when we come home I might brew ...

If there's time, I'm going to do it full-out later.

I ordered a metal y-splitter for a garden hose, so I will be able to run both the plate and immersion chillers off the faucet - there's plenty of PSI, and honestly it'll be better for the vinyl tubing amd clamps to have less PSI for it being divided.

I ordered another pump.

I will be able to run the existing pump to recirc the wort through the plate chiller, and over the immersion chillers coils (and have temperature read out), and will use the pond pump to draw ice water through the IC (it's rates for the diameter of the tubing and coil diameter), and the extra pump I ordered to force ice water through the plate chiller.

When it's all done, I just kill the pumps for the water and disconnect them, and then kill the pump for the wort for a minute to lift the lid and aim the outflow tube over the fermenter's funnel (for the screen), and turn the pump back on to move the first 3/4 of the wort, and the pour the trubby wort into the funnel and scrape the screen so as to get all the wort ...

I ordered a second bazooka, too, because I realized I can install it on the end of the outflow tube, which will give me a hop catcher during recirc during wort chilling ;)

I got the mechanics of the brewing part worked out, now, and it's time to focus on mastering quality of life for yeasties, I think.

Then, finally, recipe development =)

Whereas I was dreading the ice bath before, now I'm dreading not using it.

Life's harsh that way!

CHEERS!

What about hooking all of the tubes up to the plate chiller and freezing it into the middle of a big block of ice? Then run your chilled water. I'd bet you could easily have it down into the 60's.

What about hooking all of the tubes up to the plate chiller and freezing it into the middle of a big block of ice? Then run your chilled water. I'd bet you could easily have it down into the 60's.

That's an interest twist, too, certainly. It's highly conductive.

I'd put some 1/2" threaded 304 pipes coming off it ... that's fun ...

The quickie version is to run the wort through the IC too, and placing it in an ice bather bath ... pre-chilling the water going into the plate chiller ...

But I get it now, the temp shot down from 212F to 170F, and then was pretty quick to 140F, but the rest took forever w/ 81F flush water ...

Not that wheebz didn't warn me ....

I feel like ice is kind of inevitable for us ...

I think I want overkill in this part of the process - it's good for the wort, and I'm usually thinking about how I'll still have to CIP after setting up the fermenter =/ ...

This is brilliant.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1436160824.653130.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1436160834.304013.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1436160844.570406.jpg

alcohol and alcohol, a marriage made in heaven ...

like peanut butter and chocolate, stars and stripes ...

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1436160917.874607.jpg

from CCB:

"Gold in color, Invasion Pale Ale is CCB's rendition of a sessionable hoppy ale. The aroma is quite tropical and offers suggestions of peach, mango, lime and papaya. Upon further exploration, Invasion has a light caramel malt character laced with a slight breadiness and the finish relinquishes a bounty of tropical and citrus hop flavor and bitterness."

some tasting notes on the rum:

"Vanilla carries the base, on top of it I pick up ginger, cinnamon, nutmeg, coconut, honey and allspice. It is a solidly complex aroma that raises my expectation of what I will discover in the glass.

Together, with the hops turned down a bit on the nitro, they are one ... magic, and potent.

CHEERS!

I agree, brewing in the summer, ice is a necessity. I do t want to take my wort down into the 50's though and have to then wait for it to warm up some to pitch my yeast. My counterflow chiller will take the wort from 212 boil temp down to the temp of the water source in as much time as it takes to flow through it and into the fermentation bucket. So if my water is at 65 dF then my wort should be close to or at that and ready for yeasties to be pitched.

On another note though how does that spiced rum compare to the Captain or to Sailor Jerry?

RocketMan said:
I agree, brewing in the summer, ice is a necessity. I do t want to take my wort down into the 50's though and have to then wait for it to warm up some to pitch my yeast. My counterflow chiller will take the wort from 212 boil temp down to the temp of the water source in as much time as it takes to flow through it and into the fermentation bucket. So if my water is at 65 dF then my wort should be close to or at that and ready for yeasties to be pitched.

On another note though how does that spiced rum compare to the Captain or to Sailor Jerry?

I don't even really like rum, and it's great. I keep reading about it ... they are winning all sorts of awards, and it's brewed out on Siesta Key (coastal island) where my mom lives ...

Yesterday I sourced some while I was out there visiting, and I tasted it, and it's phenomenally different from like Capt. etc ...

I'm not a rum drinker, so there may be others, but in a quick Google search I guess they are Doing It Right in copper fermenters or whatever ... and consequently, they are winning awards left and right!

Good stuff.

If you have pH testing equipment, I can possible send you a bottle to analyze in a pinch.

Sample for analysis.

siesta key rum is awesome

and the only downside taht I would see to freezing your chiller in a block of ice is once the initial melting is done, you are going to have a barrier of air around the chiller in between that and the ice, and air is a horrible media for heat transfer

at those high of temperatures for fermentation, you are going to get a boatload of esters

there is no way you have created acetic acid in that short of an amount of time (vinegar)

what you are probably smelling is all the acetaldehydes and esters coming off just being trapped in that cooler

wheebz said:

and the only downside taht I would see to freezing your chiller in a block of ice is once the initial melting is done, you are going to have a barrier of air around the chiller in between that and the ice, and air is a horrible media for heat transfer

at those high of temperatures for fermentation, you are going to get a boatload of esters

there is no way you have created acetic acid in that short of an amount of time (vinegar)

what you are probably smelling is all the acetaldehydes and esters coming off just being trapped in that cooler

that's great news!

and yeah, it's a) my first beer that's been contained in something relatively air tight, and b) my second beer that's really fermented of the 4x ...

i'm pretty excited now, actually ...

i know the fitting i've ordered will make quick disconnections in a couple of more hook-up spots, and i'll be able to do it full-out correct ...

i keep accidentally flooding my kitchen ... stupid stuff, mostly related to either 1) accidental siphon scenarios that exist because of the tubing inherent with recirculation, 2) the fact that I have to manipulate BOTH the pump AND the ball valve at the same time, or 3) forgetting to ensure whether the heating element is responding to the temp ...

last brew I was using the thermometer in the "system" to track the wort chilling, but I hadn't switched the controller over to Manual and reduced the heat to 0 to keep the element OFF ... so for a part of my chilling, I countering my chilling for having the element running full-out trying to bring things up to mash temp =/ ...

So yeah ... I need a little practice just executing the orchestration, but it works - works well, even - and I just need to not be lazy and use the ice too ...

I thought the same thing re: the ice block'd plate chiller, but figured it would be ice water around it - not air ... but maybe you are right, because it would approach boiling temp there, and so steam and evap would probably create an airgap, even a small one - but ANY if inefficient relatively ...

Original plan was to use the IC as a pre-chiller for the PC, and that's what I'll do next ... I'll hook up the IC to the faucet, and plop it in ice water, and run the outflow to the inflow on the PC so the water is more cold than groundwater temp. That will be low enough to have a better pitching temp to better stave off too fast of a start and those esters which I'm aware are produced w/ too hot, too soon etc ...

Also, it means the lid will be closed for the recirc during chilling, which will minimize the air/surface contact so the chilled wort doesn't have nearly as much surface area for unwanted's ...

I have to work out transferrning beer to and from kegs and the beer gun ... and use of the oxygenation equip, and primarily starts and yeast life ... next, I think ...

CHEERS!

Hum, interesting wheebz, I figured the plate chiller would be like the counter flow chiller I build and that the ice around it would help to keep the Ice water that flowed through the plate cold longer and was something I was thinking about doing.

I have two bags of ice in-house in one of the extra freezers, so I'm going to try to hustle out the work overnight today, abuse my sleep schedule a bit, and squeeze in a brew-while-working tomorrow afternoon if I can do it ...

That'll be the end of the Brooklyn Brew Shop kit beers ...

My yeasts are old enough that I'll definitely have to step them up to prove and improve their viability, so that'll be a way to confront yeast life head on ...

I have grains and hops (which I guess I should have had in the fridge too, I'm now learning) enough for a saison or two, and the making's of the beer I'm planning to brew in tandem w/ Bumper at some point ...

So, that's what's up ...

I'd like to brew tomorrow, adding in the ice water circ ... and then maybe get one more brew on Friday or Saturday, where I've made a starter for it, and that'll mostly fill out a ferm freezer ...

I'll have some beer in the kitty then, even though I think this batch of relatively open-fermented no-chill Saison L'Orange is bunk, and I can read some of the Kindle books and start building some recipes in BIABacus and/or Beersmith ...

That's the plan, anyways ...
wheebz said:

indeed. i've never had a rum like that ... i'm encouraged to possibly just find a straight-forward item to add in small quantity to just drink it on the rocks ...

so very tasty ... no clue rum could go there ....

This weekend buddy, I have been bumped twice, it is going down for me this Sunday.  IF I don't have to work.. I will know by Friday which way it's going.  

At this stage, the work weather forecast suggests only a 30% chance of being cluster fcucked on Sunday.  I like those odds! 

Bumper said:
This weekend buddy, I have been bumped twice, it is going down for me this Sunday.  IF I don't have to work.. I will know by Friday which way it's going.  

At this stage, the work weather forecast suggests only a 30% chance of being cluster fcucked on Sunday.  I like those odds! 

I can try to be able to brew this weekend, I think ...

I'm going to try to brew the last of my kit beers in the a little while, while working ...

Today I'm going to try the dream scenario ... brewing while working ... BBS Summer Wheat ...

What's the cold storage like for this tandem brew in terms of ferm temp?

I've never used extract either, so if you have a tip or pointer to a URL on using that, it would be helpful to pre-game it a bit on my end ...

I'm assuming that since we're using an extract to increase the gravity, that I shall want to prepare a starter for it, too, on like Friday or Saturday? ...

Start a starter Friday or Saturday night when you are good to go. It's a big but not huge beer.

It is only an addition, and yeast will smash the golden syrup first as it is easier for them to eat, so should be no problem. I add it slowly at about 15 minutes from flameout, if you add it quickly it can burn on the bottom of the pot. Adding it late will keep some of those golden syrup flavours forward. The Belgians add theirs about day 3 for their triples etc so the yeasts get going on the grain sugars first. I have done this without issue but some worry about infection if you crack open an active ferment.

Ferm temp is in the recipe. Once it's done, about 3 weeks, put it in a cold fridge but not freezing to drop the yeast out - maybe 3 days, and put it in a spare keg if you have one. It will age quicker if stored at room temp, but I age mine at regular fridge temps for 3 months. Bulk ageing rather than bottling is the go if you can do it.

I find cold conditioning gives a better product than room temp, it just requires patience!

RocketMan said:
Ok, I want to see this recipe y"all are doing. Did I miss it back in the thread somewhere?

I have to track it down. I ordered the ingredients 3-4 weeks ago and I have a PM buried in my inbox where Bumper posted it, but I think the formatting was really off and it was hard to make sense of on my iPad ...

If you think you might want to brew it as well, I'll see about getting it to you sooner, otherwise I'll be digging it up in the next days.

Happy to try harder/do it sooner if you want to join in, though! ...

RocketMan said:
wont be able to rock it out this weekend with you two but I'll be watching. You planning on setting up a thread just for it?

I wasn't planning to, no ... not sure we'll brew at the same time, really ...

Mostly just seemed fun to have the same-ish beer down the line ...

Back