beer =[ GM's 1st 16x Batches, and/or 10 mo. Brewing ]=

grantmichaels said:

I have to track it down. I ordered the ingredients 3-4 weeks ago and I have a PM buried in my inbox where Bumper posted it, but I think the formatting was really off and it was hard to make sense of on my iPad ...

If you think you might want to brew it as well, I'll see about getting it to you sooner, otherwise I'll be digging it up in the next days.

Happy to try harder/do it sooner if you want to join in, though! ...
Formatting looked fine to me.  Straight off the BYO website, and just copied from the post.  

It's a great recipe RM.  Best aged in an oak barrel, but still awesome as is.  

Gale’s Prize Old Ale clone

Author: BYO Staff
Issue: January/February 2009
This opens with a deep caramel apple character with notes of plums and
sultanas. The tart fruity finish has hints of raisins and a spiciness
lent by the rustic hops. One of the best examples of an old ale on the
market.

Gale’s Prize Old Ale clone
5 gallons/19 L, all-grain; OG = 1.090 FG = ~1.020; IBU = 53 SRM = 21
ABV = +9.0%
Ingredients:
• 14.5 lbs. (6.6 kg) 2-row pale ale malt (Maris Otter)
• 0.33 lbs. (0.15 kg) English black patent malt
• 2.0 lbs. (0.91 kg) Lyle’s Golden Syrup
• 15 AAU Challenger hops (60 mins) (2.0 oz./57 g of 7.5% alpha
acids)
• 2.6 AAU Fuggles hops (10 min) (0.50 oz./14 g of 5.25% alpha
acids)
• 2.5 AAU Kent Goldings (10 min) (0.50 oz./14 g of 5% alpha acids)
• Wyeast 1099 (Whitbread Ale) or White Labs WLP007 (Dry English
Ale) yeast
• 1 cup corn sugar (for priming)
Step by Step:
Mash at 154 °F (68 °C) for 60 minutes in 4.5 gallons (17 L) of mash
liquor. Boil wort for 60 minutes. Add sugar syrup with 15 minutes left
in boil. Ferment at 62 °F (17 °C), about 7 days. Rack to secondary
and condition for 14 days at 62 °F (17 °C). This beer should be
bottle conditioned at about 2–2.5 volumes of CO2. As it ages it will
take on a brandy-like character and dry out considerably.

Tapatalk thinks it sees formatting in the /'s and ()'s and degree symbols, I think ...

Works fine on the web page, just was getting garbled up by the mobile app ...

Looks good on my I phone using the mobile version of the forum.

Yeah, oak barrels costing what they do, I'll probably get some light toasted oak chips to use in the secondary instead.
Thanks for posting it up Bumper

So at the 3 month point it will have all the character you talk about it building or should sinker it go longer?

tctenten said:
Taking my first crack at

Sauerkraut…..do any of you know if I should toss in some of my SD starter hooch to kick things off?

SF makes kraut ... we were talking about it today, as a matter of fact ...

RocketMan said:
Looks good on my I phone using the mobile version of the forum.

Yeah, oak barrels costing what they do, I'll probably get some light toasted oak chips to use in the secondary instead.
Thanks for posting it up Bumper

So at the 3 month point it will have all the character you talk about it building or should sinker it go longer?
I'd actually recommend 6 months, but I've never made it passed 3 months for any beers, as I don't get enough chances to brew to keep me in beer to avoid the temptation.  6 months, it would be killer.  Like any big beer, with the exception of IIPA's, they need time.  Especially the golden syrup flavours, it needs to mellow into the rest of the beer.   I still have a westvelteren XII clone to do as well. If I brew it in August, it would be mind-blowing for the beginning of next winter.  

The recipe is well crafted, as it bumps the mash temps up a little higher to give more mouthfeel, which the original must have tended towards a 65c and thinner finish. Thick rich and malty are my kind of big beers.  

Some people let the beer go for years.  Some tasting notes of a couple of vintages to give a sense of what you are brewing.  It gets hit and miss in rate beer sites, as people are coming at 10 year old bottles that have not been stored properly.  Heck, most medium priced wines taste like ass at 10 years!  I will do my best to stash a few bottles of the next batch when I'm loaded and try to forget about them.  

Presentation: It was poured from a brown 275ml bottle into a snifter. The bottle is corked like a wine bottle and it have a vintage date of 2005.

Appearance: This beer pours with almost no carbonation and it only makes a few stray bubbles around the edge of the glass. On top there is just the finest dusting of tan yeast sediment. There is no real head and no lacing. For the style and age of the beer I would think this is an acceptable attribute. The liquid is hazy and has a brownish color with some reddish high lights.

Smell: The aroma has a rich sweet bready maltiness with pleasant estery yeast which sweet and fruity. The alcohol is also noticeable in the nose and brings a refined red wine like character to the mix.

There is a sour dough bready maltiness with a warming boozy port like alcohol presence to start with. In it there are also notes of sweet and tart fruit like apple, raison, white grape, and tart red raspberry mixed with dry earthy yeast. The yeast has an almost woody earthy quality to it. The dryness and some sourness comes out more in the warm wine like finish.

I am drinking the 1998 and the 2000 vintages. 
A: they both pour brilliant chestnut with very little head.
S: the 1998 is very port like on the nose with dark dried fruit. The 2000 vintage has less port on the nose and more prune.
T: The 1998 is assertive with port flavors, dark dried fruit, prunes, and a touch of sour. The 2000 vintage is softer and less port-like and is loaded with prunes coming across as mellower and less tart than its older sibling.
F: They are both wine-like, full bodied with very little carbonation.
O: outrageously good and amazing to drink beer well over a decade old.

Vintage 1998. Bottle # OA2 13817. 

Pours a deep amber-brown, resembling iced tea. With just as much carbonation. Lightly hazed. No head at all. 
Cowhide, tobacco, prune and molasses in the nose. 
Deep buttery tofffee taste is immediately coupled with the dark fruit, pruney sweetness. Raisins and earth enter next. Followed by burnt caramel, and char. Vinous midsection, wine-like, with hints of merlot. Woody and cork characteristics echo throughout. Leathery notes, not unlike chewing on the strings of one's baseball/softball mitt. Hops are not perceived. Lingering impressions of smoked dark fruit and grape-skins. 
Absolutely uncarbonated. Smooth, wine-like body, albeit slightly thin. A little more heft would make this a classic. 
I am not sure how much more the 98 will develop. Though I imagine it will certainly keep, if not improve slightly with a few (to many) more years. I've never had it fresh, so I am not sure what has happened up to this point. It is a keeper, however. 

1999. Bottle #OA2 24529 
Clear garnet with nary a bubble to be found. 
Huge grape aroma mingling with suede, anise, earth and brandy. 
Luxuriously rich and broad within the mouth. Vinous as can be. Grape jam, raisins, figs, prunes, leather, oak, earth. Crisply tart. Not as toasty, roasty or buttery as th '98. This is all about the fruit. It could be easily mistaken for a dry red wine. 
Still like this a lot, and it is different from any other brew I've had.

WOW Bumper, that sounds like an amazing brew! Will you be able to wait the 10 years to get there? I might be able to get myself to brew it twice. Put one round of bottles in boxes and store the other Id put the date to open it on, on the bottle and open one a year to try and catalog the changes. Actually might mark 2 and send one to Wheebz each year. He has a nose and pallet to die for when it comes to that

If I can go permanent part time or retire next year, I might just be able to brew regularly enough to keep it cellared!
On the oak, I reckon racking to a secondary for a month on a few cubes would round it out nicely before bottling. In the cask they get a little Brett funk to finish..

Improvements ...

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1436488982.014906.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1436488992.215147.jpg

Sexy.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1436489032.519180.jpg

Well regarded. Supposedly not .3-.4 off, like the most popular one's.

:shrug:

I flooded my box last weekend, or I'd have stuck w/ them ...

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1436489199.293501.jpg

Never not have a connector or splice again ...

#ComingSoon

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1436489308.333275.jpg

Reportedly great for fast fermentednon-beer beverages ...

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1436489366.019412.jpg

I'll have to add these and kegs as I go ...

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1436489470.512351.jpg

More "just in case" ...

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1436489541.396892.jpg

An el cheapo Temp-corrected pH meter ($20) ...

DRINK!

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1436489234.661968.jpg

Really.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1436489261.663696.jpg

For brewing twice in a day.

It's day 12 for the open-fermenting Saison L'Orange batch ...

That's the one that I brewed in pH 9 water ...

I really don't think the grains gave up fermentables, so I'm going to check the gravity in a little while and see what's gone on ...

If it's bunk like I think ... I'll dump it, clean & sterilize the keg, and the rack the 8 day old chocolate maple porter from it's carboy to the keg the saison was in, and then wash the carboy to receive the Summer Wheat I'm brewing later on ...

Makes sense, to me anyways ...

galaxy is a great hop, you will get passionfruit notes running though it with that.  It is high alpha, so put it in close to flame out.  

Wish I could join you, still working this weekend, back in the office tomorrow.  Hanging out for a break at this point.  

I hear ya ... I won't get to the tandem brew this weekend, anyways! ...

Still have to check gravities on the two existing brews, do some racking transfers probably, and brew the Summer Wheat to finish off those BBS kits ...

CHEERS!

Back