beer =[ GM's 1st 16x Batches, and/or 10 mo. Brewing ]=

tctenten said:

Does this mean you have beer?

I'm hinting at how they were in the old world ... not knowing how it works ...

They didn't know about yeast, so they thought fermentation was a gift from the Gods ...

This batch feels like a gift from the Gods, if it turns out ... a reward just for seeing it through ...

The gravity seems a bit too low to make it to 5.5% ...

I might have some beer, albeit probably not the beer that was possible ...

I wish I could tell you ...

All I can tell you is that something is fermenting, but it could be the sugars from the 3x overripe apricots that weren't part of the recipe - I don't really know ...

The pH might have just been better coming from the city yesterday, as a matter of chance ...

Or, the grain bill (which I'm not sure what it is because it was a kit), might have pulled it down ... maybe there's lactic shit in the grains used, who knows ...

I wish I knew, but I don't ...

I have between 3 and 9 gallons of beer, LOL ...

Yeah ... lot's going on ...

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1436808431.688627.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1436808440.235592.jpg

Good luck on the SD culture!

https://youtu.be/mjzkllJk_5E

Here's my open-fermented Saison L'Orange no-chill, double-pitched frankenbeer ...

Fifteen days with a loose fit 1/2" blow-off tube, covered but not sealed ...

There was a bit of yeast (WLP565) shock early on, which kind of sucks for a no-chill batch due to the timeline for developing botulinuum toxins, but a ferm-wrap was added day two, along with yeast nutrient and a vial of ECY saison yeast and by day three it was chugging away at 87-95F next to my desk ...

I've counted this batch out all along, as it was pre-water-test and brewed w/ very high pH water (8.5-9), and the fermentation was slow to start, and subtle (never hit the blow-off tube, really) ...

To my delight - it's probably beer.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1436844328.430044.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1436844337.897459.jpg

Wow.

I believe it's like 1056 down to like 1002 ...

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1436844433.568883.jpg

It's a murky mess in there, so I need to think about how to help it clean-up ...

I have Biofine and ClarityFerm I think they are called, but I'll get w/ Wheebz on that and my 3rd freezer is unused atm in case it needs some low-temp therapy or such.

I tasted the flat beer from the hydrometer and the orange is nice. I don't have enough experience correlating flat beer w/ final beer to describe it further, I'm afraid.

Here I am figuring I'm one for three last night, and it's looking more like I'm three for three tonight.

I might have 8-10 gallons of homebrew from round two after all ...

CHEERS!

10ml of biofine adied as you rack to the new keg and then crash it.

Why are you fermenting your saison so high? I do all of mine between 78 and 80 unless there is Brett involved.

wheebz said:
10ml of biofine adied as you rack to the new keg and then crash it.

Why are you fermenting your saison so high? I do all of mine between 78 and 80 unless there is Brett involved.

I put the fermwrap on it as it approached the 48 hr mark, when I pitched a 2nd vial and some yeast nutrient (we'd decided I shocked the initial yeast going from fridge to 78F wort), and it started to ferment so I just left it there for ~6 days ...

Once I brewed the Choc. Maple Porter, I stole the fermwrap to use in the fermenter for that batch, and the saison sat in the 73-75F house for 7-8 more days without the wrap ...

The actual number I registered on the outside of the SS keg was 87-89F, but I was applying extrapolating a 5-6F increase in the wort for ferm temp increase ...

I didn't even think this batch took, to be honest.

I thought something was wrong last night when it read so low.

Comparatively, it never had the volcanic krausen etc ... probably because a) it wasn't sealed, and b) the shape of the keg and the way the blow off tube was angled into the hole ...

I could see the remnants on the upper-inner walls of the keg, that krausen existed in there, but nothing ever traveled the blow-off tube ...

It just off-gas'd through the unsealed hole ...

In truth, it's the low-pressure, covered-but-not-sealed Bob S. described, LOL ...

I figure the best bet is to carry it to a countertop in the kitchen, and let it sit overnight, and then open the lid as carefully as possible so as to not disturb the trub/yeast to be best of my ability, and siphon the top portion down from the 3 gallon into a 2.5 gallon keg, adding the biofine as you recommend, and then cold crashing like you said ...

I have an inline filter housing, so I could gravity filter it on the way down, too ...

Should I consider passing it through it in the same step, or just keep it simple for now? ...

Thanks!

Ah nice read. I agree. Although, I have been trying more and more IPAs and I'm starting to turn a little. I even liked the smell of the hops when I was boiling my batch. I may turn full circle. Time will tell. Although stouts and dark ales will always be my favorite.

Alright ... thing's have calmed down ...

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1436932473.738956.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1436932483.739768.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1436932494.957089.jpg

It's hard to see, but it looks like lipton soup ...

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1436932549.060515.jpg

Going to try to squeeze in a no-chill saison this weekend, if possible ...

I have some of these, for no-chill:
http://www.usplastic.com/catalog/item.aspx?sku=74093&catid=816

Which have 3/4" NPT centers in the lids:

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1436938717.235444.jpg

Which should enable a great connection for a blow-off tube for fermenting two gallon batches right in the container ...

Interestingly, I found a cap replacement that's interesting:
http://www.usplastic.com/catalog/item.aspx?sku=75061&catid=543

Which sounds like:
http://www.porex.com/products/packaging/cap-closure-vents/

Which seems like a good cap, for all of the processes after fermentation ...

Should have the coupler on the way to use the immersion chiller as a pre-chiller for the plate chiller, but it won't be here in time for this week's brew - and it's going to be a no-chill saison, anyways ...

CHEERS!

I'd like to celebrate being through w/ kits altogether by brewing another no-chill saison, hopefully getting everything correct in terms of the brewing today =/

So ... I think I might have a spontaneous #BrewDay later on today ...

Once I wrap up some work, I'll get to work on developing a recipe in Beersmith ... I guess I'll have to watch some YT videos on using it ...

CHEERS!

hogleg said:
:rofl:  :rofl: Do you start a new thread for every batch?

Nah, there's 3x batches in each of the 1st two threads ...

The 1st thread was using manual pots and pans on the stove ...

The 2nd thread was using the new system (electric), but was still the remaining kits (other people's recipes - unknown grains and yeast etc) ...

And this thread will be the new system + my own recipes/ingredients ...

I probably would have left it all in one thread, but Boss said not to have blog-like threads so I made the 2nd one ...

Back