beer =[ GM's 1st 16x Batches, and/or 10 mo. Brewing ]=

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1447527151.179421.jpg

Had a bowl of low-cal minestrone w/ ample mystery wine HS from 1010 ...

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1447527159.846636.jpg

:cheers:

The Bucs got it done for me this afternoon ... but barely, so I couldn't fast forward much, lol ...

Gave me a chance to have a beer or two, and to think about future batches ...

My next two will be large batch IPA, and large batch stout, splits for variations ...

I'm going to brew that IPA again, with some tweaks, but sticking with Columbus for the hopping schedule, and trying three yeasts ... then after primary, tasting to get an idea of the different beers made by the yeasts (and taking gravities), and keeping the best tasting one as is, and then I'll make a Citra dry hopped one, and maybe an Galaxy one too this time ...

Then, the next batch will be a stout ... probably similar to Wheebz recipe, split down to compare three yeasts like the IPA, keeping the best tasting as is once more, and then running an French light roast spiral, and an American medium plus spiral ...

After those will be a saison split ... which will ferm out in the room, and fill in the two 2.5 gal slots, and provide 2-3x more variants to add in as kegs free up ...

That's the best rotation I can come up with: round of stouts, round of IPA's, round of saisons ...

Seems like I'll brew like like 6-8x/yr in the big format, and possibly do some 2-3x gallon exploratory batches on occasion ...

The far and wide part of my journey is wrapping up, and I'm really looking forward to settling into a "lifetime pace" now =)

:cheers:

Cool. I'll be curious to see how different they all are.

Me too!

The other fun project will be a little something indoor to tease out the difference between different vendors/maltsters maris otter, and to shootout carafa vs black prinz etc ...

I'm going to do some of that inside on the stove-top and using the big mouth bubblers, before the big batches ...

Probably do some of that over Thanksgiving and Christmas weekends, actually, TBH ...

My biggest problem is that I do not know what I like in the beer that I like.  As an example….I like Pinner better than Deviant Dale….but I don't know which grains or hops make me like one over the other.   Any tips on how to know what I like in the beers that I like?

Yeah, go to the brewery site and read their description ... they often give some of it away in their ad copy ... then you read the forums to see if brewery people are sharing further info, like, whether or not they only use one yeast in their beers etc ... then, clone recipes - hence my rec re that byo mag ... they aren't necessarily accurate, but they give an idea how to make certain shit happen ...

It's basically Googling ...

I have been poking around trying to find stuff out.  But get a lot of conflicting info.  It's like doing research for a term paper…I hated that…the reason I majored in accounting.  

grantmichaels said:
also, low-hanging for grouchy Wheebz ...

Pretty sure we are going to be spending a week in PA next summer.  Hershey Park and then Woodloch Resort.  If he is up and running and within a reasonable distance….I would love to be a customer.

tctenten said:
My biggest problem is that I do not know what I like in the beer that I like.  As an example.I like Pinner better than Deviant Dale.but I don't know which grains or hops make me like one over the other.   Any tips on how to know what I like in the beers that I like?
This is why I've done so many clones. I don't really care if they are great clones. If they're in the ballpark, I'll be happy and I see what ingredients I like. Now I know that I like caramel/crystal grain beers. So when I start cranking through recipies, I'll start with those.

Ozzy2001 said:
This is why I've done so many clones. I don't really care if they are great clones. If they're in the ballpark, I'll be happy and I see what ingredients I like. Now I know that I like caramel/crystal grain beers. So when I start cranking through recipies, I'll start with those.

Makes sense.  I have some time before I will be brewing a non-kit beer.  Going to be on the internet a lot.  Hopefully it is slow at work this week.  

Something I haven't been doing, but will be doing going forward, is ordering my grain bill all made up by the shop ... I have confidence in the place I've been using more recently, and there's no reason to grind my own for the big batches, I'll just order in fresh, all compiled by them the week before I brew ...

I mention that, just to make the point that moving from kits isn't a big deal, you can do that now ...

grantmichaels said:
Something I haven't been doing, but will be doing going forward, is ordering my grain bill all made up by the shop ... I have confidence in the place I've been using more recently, and there's no reason to grind my own for the big batches, I'll just order in fresh, all compiled by them the week before I brew ...

I mention that, just to make the point that moving from kits isn't a big deal, you can do that now ...

I plan to do the same.  One of my local brew shops is  directly in between my daughters dance studio and my house.   When I finally figure out a recipe I am going to have them grind it for me.  

my opinion is to go to recipes now =)

you are brewing beer, it's time now imo ...

if you pick a style, we can group-think a recipe ... no biggie ...
what beers out there do you most like? ... or, what beer have you had that you'd want to be able to drink a bunch of?

Cool.  I have one more kit that I was going to brew today, but I realized if I did that I would not have an empty gallon container to use when I bottle.  So I can bottle my stout and wheat beer over the next two weekends…except I will be hunting, so I will get it done when I have a chance.  Bottling a gallon really is not that time consuming.  Once I get a free bubbler I will brew my last kit and then I will move to a 2.5 gallon batch.  I would hope to  brew sometime in December, but with various commitments, the holiday and a few days in Disney, it maybe pushed back into January.  I am going to use this time to research and hopefully formulate a recipe for something I like.  

I would love to do an IPA.  I clearly do not like the hoppy/bitter tasting ones.  I think my tastes are towards the lighter…maybe session type offerings…like Founders all-day or Pinner.   

Back