beer =[ GM's 1st 16x Batches, and/or 10 mo. Brewing ]=

RIP BBS Summer Wheat

Celebrating killing my 3rd keg in a week by having a glass with Miyagi Stout over a couple of thimble-full's of Kahlua ...

#HintO'Kahlua  #LessIsMore #DessertStoutHeaven

I guess I can either transfer the Zorg tonight, or tomorrow certainly if not tonight ...

One step closer to a big batch or ? ... we'll see ... the ferm chamber is empty ...

e0142e260fd0a20be709d43997e405ac.jpg

Goodbye BBS Wheat, goodbye kit beers ...

#EndOfWave

grantmichaels said:
Jesus ...
0462f8da5051b6958b7834df8ea4d6b9.jpg

It was like 24 hr ferm ...

1.018 = 4.6P ...

21.25 -> 4.6 = 9.25% ABV at like 78% attn
20.00 -> 4.6 = 8.5% at 77% attn

I threw in an oz of Galaxy pellets and I'll let it sit for two days at 67F, then I'll pour it into a 3 gal keg on another oz Galaxy and plug it into the keezer at 12 psi w/ a Clear Beer, and drink it after a week or so ...

Off the second dry-hops, but without the yeast or first batch of dry-hops ...

Crazy ferm ...

if i see it, i'll def grab some ...

pulling this around for an update in a sec ...

well, Wheebz called it ...

S-04 kept going ...

0ef822a6e53fa767acda1e256b21dea8.jpg

ten more points ...

10% ABV +/-.25 at 86-87% apparent attenuation ...

beer cleared up a ton ...

8e1c1a8cf867b205888ceb4be26071cf.jpg

58678277.jpg

c8384c29b4221e7adb1aba2ac2cafe49.jpg

I like the taste and color of the beer as it relates to the flavor of the galaxy - but the purple in the name can only make sense regarding the ube mashed in, and not the final product - which is clearly orange!

It's pretty tasty, but I decided to hold off racking off until tomorrow ...

grantmichaels said:

I had it all ready for Wheebz, but didn't see him, so once I figure out how to bottle using the BeerGun (theoretically over the coming two weekends), I'm going to send some out ...

I've been procrastinating on the BeerGun/bottling, because 1) I have not enjoyed each new operation involving CO2 and liquids, and 2) bottling doesn't affect my experience =)
Number 1 I can certainly understand however, regarding Number 2, once you've experienced reading great feedback on your brews for yourself from Wheebz you'll begin to see how it will enhance your experience.

ordered a 3rd stirstarter a min ago ... need to be able to do 3x side-by-side for most of my coming split-batches ...

and canned wort, because i'm lazy as fuck and canned wort is awesome ...

grantmichaels said:
ordered a 3rd stirstarter a min ago ... need to be able to do 3x side-by-side for most of my coming split-batches ...

and canned wort, because i'm lazy as f**k and canned wort is awesome ...
Yes it is, and every starter I've done with it has been a strong starter.

RocketMan said:
Yes it is, and every starter I've done with it has been a strong starter.

I agree.

My biggest dilemna brewing-wise, is whether or not to plumb the new mash tun (cooler) and kettle ...

I kind of don't want to ... didn't plan to unnecessarily ...

I wasn't sure I trusted the built-in spigot to be leak-less on the cooler, but I mean, ice melts in them and it can't leak the water everywhere, so I'm inclined to believe the built-in spigot is relatively trustworthy ...

Ozzy2001 said:
I bought the northern Brewer false bottom and spigot kit, and it's been great. No problems what so ever.

It just seems like it'll be soooo much easier to clean, and ensure sanitization of the kettle w/ it's integrity left as is ...

Whether or not to spigot-ize the cooler and kettle are the only decision I haven't made ...

I kind of said I would only do it if I felt pain ... so I guess I have to brew once without it ...

And I've already disassembled my ball-valve and was kind of grossed out ... shit's hiding in them ...

I dunno ...

I think I might just try it unmodified 1st, as planned, and use the cooler spigot to run-off into the cooler ... and use an siphon, to remove the wort from the kettle and into the corny fermenters ... after chilling w/ the immersion chiller, which I plan to pump hose water through, but which will be pre-chilled by running through the plate-chiller which will have pond-pumped ice water ...
For 10-12 gallons, I'll measure and treat the water, and do EVERYTHING I can possibly do ... including using both the plate-chiller and immersion chiller etc, because I'll be brewing once every 6-8 weeks or less ...

You have some sort of filter or something so the built in spigot doesn't clog? Seems like it would clog easy. And honestly I can envision just as much funky stuff getting stuck in the stock spigot.
Aside from that, it going to get boiled right after anyway.
Also, does the stock spigot have a way to stay open? I wouldn't want to hold the plunger down that long.

Ozzy2001 said:
You have some sort of filter or something so the built in spigot doesn't clog? Seems like it would clog easy. And honestly I can envision just as much funky stuff getting stuck in the stock spigot.
Aside from that, it going to get boiled right after anyway.
Also, does the stock spigot have a way to stay open? I wouldn't want to hold the plunger down that long.

They grains are in the big ole BIAB bag ...
Ozzy2001 said:

There it is ... cooler gets plumbed ...

little detail for the folks just getting going w/ brewing around here ... always enter the actual AA% for your hops into Beersmith or you might be in for a surprise ...

magnum is Beersmith is 12%, these magnum's are 14.7% ...

the spread on some Challenger and Columbus hops was even larger a month or two back ...

Back