• We welcome content that is not political, divisive, or offensive. If we feel your content leans this way or has the potential to, it may be removed at any time. A hot pepper forum is not the place for such content. Thank you for respecting the community!

Golf anyone?

I am a total hack. I love the game though - and I have a great time doing it. Started playing again pretty regularly - just at the executive 9s to get back into form (which is usually "bad"), but I have my moments. Drained a 25' putt the other day...also chipped in a birdie from about 10 yards out - that was pretty cool. It's one of those sports that you have to do a LOT to get better at, and I just don't have that kind of time. So I'm getting in 1-2 short 9's a week. Fun, exercise and the occasionally satisfying shot. My friend who I go out with is a similar mentality - it's all for fun, so if either of us completely chokes we don't let it get us down. No fretting or breaking/throwing clubs. I've played with those types and it's really not fun. Hey, we're on a golf course - how bad can it be? 

Curious if there are any other golfers here? How seriously do you take the sport? 

FORE! 

The number 1 thing you should think about when it comes to golf is not taking it seriously.  I grew up in a super athletic family and my parents always pushed me to do sports.  Mostly, I just wanted to ride dirtbikes and learn how to play the guitar.  But I eventually started playing sports recreationally and enjoying it.  Part of the reason is the competition, but I also met a lot of people who turned out to be good friends.  But I remember being apart of "Junior Golf" when I was little and it was taken very seriously where I grew up in WA.  I hated it!  Why? Because it mostly consisted of a brunch of bratty rich kids and old men laying down a bunch of bullsh*t rules.

Now....I'm 30 years old, love Golf and here's why:

I can drink beer and/or carry a flask.  I don't need to practice.  I can drink more beer.  I can piss on a palm tree.  I can hit on the hottie driving the beer cart.  I can be satisfied with bogey golf.  I can do terrible on 17 holes but if I get one birdie them I'm satisfied.  

There are many small pleasantries in golf.  You don't need to win a league, beat a team, or win a championship to feel good.  

-Matty     

This is the perfect recipe of a round of golf.

Love the Game, and a game it is. Played from 16-18 years of age, flat out, then started drinking, cars etc... didnt have a hit until 28. 10 year break, and shot my best score, since then play quite regulary.

We started our own little yearly competition between some mates also.

IMG_0601.JPG

I love the game! I have been playing this game for 45 years. I have been left handed to start out then switched to right handed. So I can play both ways. IT's good to be able to do in a bind(tree). Did college golf thing bit no farther. Daughter is a 7 hdcp but could be much better if would practice wedges. My Lowest score was a 60 with an o b on last hole. Can't drink and play golf(sucks). Daughter(Morgan) won a long drive contest(316). It's best when your kid wants to beat you. Someday I will let her win not yet. Sometimes I go to practice at driving range and end up teaching for hours(free). Just can't sit there and watch when I can help.

Love a round of golf, but probably haven't played in about 8 years. Started when I was about 6 or 7 by joining my Dad for a round here and there, then stopped when he stopped. Started again with some friends, then stopped due to work schedules. Haven't had a game since. I just don't find it as enjoyable playing a round solo. A bit of friendly competition makes it fun.

i played a 9 several years ago in the pouring rain. it was one of the most disgusting gross obnoxious things that ive ever done.  total fail !!

I believe Nigel is pro?  Also, I understand that Prodigal_Son is quite good at golf as well.  Hopefully both of them will chime in here.

Golf is a great game....or, as I play it, "sorta golf". And the foot wedge is the most valuable club in my bag!

Since I moved to where I live now, there's nobody for me to play with though. And there's a golf course/country club open to the public not ten minutes from my house. Sucks to play alone. Just like sex..... the only other thing besides golf that you don't have to be good at to really enjoy!

Yep, that`s my day job. Turned Pro in 2008. I was playing to a +5 handicap (you have to shoot 5-under par to play to your handicap) while I was working full time as a scientist, but I`d been teaching part-time since the mid-90`s. I teach to create a little cash so I can enter as many Pro tournaments as possible. Those are usually mini-tour events in southern California, Arizona and Nevada. I`ve also played in qualifying events for PGA Tour, Web,com Tour, Canadian Tour and the US Open. 

This year I`ve done a little video at mini-tour events, which is why I have the gear to film pepper videos!

I grew up living at a golf course from age 13 on, as my parents ran the restaurant and bar at a private club.

96strat said:
We need to somehow put together a scramble tourney for thp members. On the first tee everyone has to eat a pod. What do you all think?

Maybe a scramble where THPers that live close to each other can all play with their own little local group of THPers, then all submit their scores for a contest (box of goodies as a prize?)

mcraighead said:

I can drink beer and/or carry a flask.  I don't need to practice.  I can drink more beer.  I can piss on a palm tree.  I can hit on the hottie driving the beer cart.  I can be satisfied with bogey golf.  I can do terrible on 17 holes but if I get one birdie them I'm satisfied.  

There are many small pleasantries in golf.  You don't need to win a league, beat a team, or win a championship to feel good.  

Sounds like my kinda golf! Beer time! That's the best thing about not taking it so seriously.... that rare birdie feels AWESOME! Scratch players forgot how that feels.

I remember one time I pissed two buddies off on the first tee box. I was inside the clubhouse buying extra balls and beer while they went to warm up with some practice swings and do some stretching. By the time I come out, they had already both driven their tee shot... one a worm burner, and the other was off to the side from his slight natural fade. It was my turn. I jump out of the golf cart, suck down a half a beer, jam a tee in the ground and tee up the ball, step up, and WHACK!!!!!!! Swung, didn't even feel the ball touch the club, but heard it (you know that sound).... perfect straight down the middle for 225.... the both cussed me out! lol

These days, I am a fan of the history and swing,from Lloyd Mangrum to the dynamic stuff going on present day. Would love to find time to get a teaching card in the next couple years.

Played for 20+years,not so much the last couple. It was a lifestyle,much like surfing. I trashed a relationship or two over it. Cut my teeth playing with divorced,and retired guys,our game was $20 nassau with 2 down automatic presses,still my fave betting game. I got down to a low single digit index and played off 2.8-3.5 for alittle while.

If you are having fun playing,don't try to get better..hah If you want to get better,enjoy the ride! Get fitted for your equipment!!!!!! Work on hitting the the ball first and then the turf. You can't control the ball without doing that. Once you "compress" a ball properly,you might as well stick the syringe in.

96strat said:
Phil we never forget how it fills we just do it more often. Eagles fill better. Daughters had more hole in ones than me. Good for her!
I`ve played golf for 30 years and I`ve never had a hole in one. Not a single one. Hit the flagstick, lipped out, left it on the lip, but it`s never gone in. My Mom`s had 3, my Dad had 3. It`s just not right.......... :P

mcraighead said:
The number 1 thing you should think about when it comes to golf is not taking it seriously.  I grew up in a super athletic family and my parents always pushed me to do sports.  Mostly, I just wanted to ride dirtbikes and learn how to play the guitar.  But I eventually started playing sports recreationally and enjoying it.  Part of the reason is the competition, but I also met a lot of people who turned out to be good friends.  But I remember being apart of "Junior Golf" when I was little and it was taken very seriously where I grew up in WA.  I hated it!  Why? Because it mostly consisted of a brunch of bratty rich kids and old men laying down a bunch of bullsh*t rules.

-Matty     

This is the perfect recipe of a round of golf.
That's the way me and my buddies played. Couple of beers for the first 9, then hit the clubhouse for a few more for the back 9, then clubhouse again for 1 or 2 after. Nothing but friendly competition and good times. 
Phil said:

Maybe a scramble where THPers that live close to each other can all play with their own little local group of THPers, then all submit their scores for a contest (box of goodies as a prize?)

Sounds like my kinda golf! Beer time! That's the best thing about not taking it so seriously.... that rare birdie feels AWESOME! Scratch players forgot how that feels.

I remember one time I pissed two buddies off on the first tee box. I was inside the clubhouse buying extra balls and beer while they went to warm up with some practice swings and do some stretching. By the time I come out, they had already both driven their tee shot... one a worm burner, and the other was off to the side from his slight natural fade. It was my turn. I jump out of the golf cart, suck down a half a beer, jam a tee in the ground and tee up the ball, step up, and WHACK!!!!!!! Swung, didn't even feel the ball touch the club, but heard it (you know that sound).... perfect straight down the middle for 225.... the both cussed me out! lol
Haha I've done that too! Started playing with a couple of guys I worked with who took it pretty serious, and were even getting lessons from pro's. Had top of the line clubs, and all I had was a basic beginners outfit. I couldn't use my driver for crap so always teed off with a 3 wood. They'd get pissed after they teed off with their $500 drivers and I'd pass them with a basic 3 wood lol. Didn't happen too often, but enough to make it funny every time. 

Pr0digal_son said:
If you are having fun playing,don't try to get better..hah If you want to get better,enjoy the ride! Get fitted for your equipment!!!!!! .
Did wonders for my game - I went from a cheap set of steel shafted knock-off Pings to a set of graphite shafted Orlimars and had them gripped & fittted. Made playing golf sooooo much more enjoyable and added yards and consistency to my game.

Great advice indeed :cheers:

Nigel said:
I`ve played golf for 30 years and I`ve never had a hole in one. Not a single one. Hit the flagstick, lipped out, left it on the lip, but it`s never gone in. My Mom`s had 3, my Dad had 3. It`s just not right.......... :P
You are supposed to tell us it's because you fire away from flags to set up makable birdies!!!!!!!

I have seen 8 of them and had 2 myself. I once saw an ace in the group ahead of us during a scramble and a guy in my group kacked the skin with an ace of his own, have yet to see anything that insane since. I remember reading somewhere that John Wooden made an ace and a double eagle in the same round. Double eagle would be the ultimate,haven't been that fortunate.

Only 2 rounds this season and snow on it's way. This thread has me itching!

Back