• We welcome content that is not political, divisive, or offensive. If we feel your content leans this way or has the potential to, it may be removed at any time. A hot pepper forum is not the place for such content. Thank you for respecting the community!

off-topic Good Mornin' Thread - For those that get up really early and post

Good Morning All...weather excellent here today high 80's & plants  love it.
Hope you're enjoying the weekend & getting some R&R. ;)

brewster_pond_1200_x_300.jpg

Good morning everyone. Beautifully cloudy and cold Sunday. Never made it to the CG yesterday because it rained all day. We braved the elements just to move 8 peppers close to the house to keep warm. We're hoping to check on the CG today, but it's still raining. I thought in the low temp was 40. Nothing got covered.

Hope your day is filled with great activities. Keep safe and smile.

Love your pic, wiri.

Good morning. Cold out. Had to fire off the heater. Hope you all have a great day. Drink coffee and lets get this week over with.

catherinew said:
Good morning everyone. Waiting for Chuck's rain and lower temps that will soon be here. You're Optimistic Chuck, since you know those flowers will soon be exploding with peppers. Have you booked your vacation? It looks like a great trip.

We're off to the CG in a couple of hours, coffee first with a bite to eat. Lots to do today as we attended a party yesterday. We had great Mexican homemade food and they asked if I'd bring any hot peppers I had canned - pickled hot peppers were the fave.

Have a great weekend everyone and remember to pay it forward. Stay safe.
I booked last week. The weather will change weekly as you know. Its 34 out right now. Bryce is like 23 right now. Hope we dont have bad weather out there. Going the week after next.

Good morning everyone. Chuck - have a great vacation next week, it should be warmer. Take lots of pictures, and just enjoy the time away.

Today's the 3rd straight day of rain and cold. I'm ready for some sun. A fellow Community Gardener is vacationing in Iowa with 90* temps and lots of humidity and wants the heat to stop! Just be patient.

Enjoy this beautiful day and stay safe. Time for hot coffee.

Good morning / almost afternoon

I'm being lazy and distracted this morning. Don't really have to do anything today, but if it dries up from last nights rain i'll go and do more harvesting and smoking peppers  :party:

here's a pic from yesterday
3IcQV2c.jpg

got so many Serranos to do too  :dance:
then the Chile de Onza Amarillo, probably do some more smoked supers for my Insanity-Salt blend 
the dehydrator has been running nonstop for a couple weeks now  :party:  
tis the season   :mouthonfire:

hope you all have a wonderful day 
S.M.I.L.E. :D

Good morning all :)

well i didn't get anymore harvesting done yesterday, and its all wet again this morning  :neutral:

I need to get out there and start pulling plants with pods that wont have time to ripen :mope: and tag the ones i intend to overwinter so i know how many i am working with and start the selection process of who makes the cut. I might add another HPS  light and expand the overwintering area this year 

mixed yellow superhots bagel with veggie cream cheese for breakfast today  :drooling:  :dance:

hope you all have a wonderful day
don't forget to S.M.I.L.E. :D

Guatemalan Insanity Pepper said:

I need to get out there and start pulling plants with pods that wont have time to ripen :mope:

So how do I overwinter plants without getting the dreaded aphids? Do I water my pots now with some special liquid in hopes of killing the eggs or what? I have succeeded 0 out of 3 times.

I've read the threads about overwintering and still have not done well.

catherinew said:
So how do I overwinter plants without getting the dreaded aphids? Do I water my pots now with some special liquid in hopes of killing the eggs or what? I have succeeded 0 out of 3 times.

i lost all my plants to aphids my first year overwintering :/ gave up for years... Then i found this place  :dance:
i wish i had bookmarked everything that i've learned a great deal from.

first off, you'll need to decide if you want  to continue ripening pods that you have, or just keep them plants alive through the winter to give yourself a headstart the following spring.

if you want to bring plants that have been outdoors soaking up mother natures wonderfully intense sun indoors and continue to ripen pods you may need some serious lighting. This does not necessarily mean $$ though it's gonna be Watt$ of power too

if you just want to keep the plants alive so that you can have a nice head start on the following year...
You can do that with far less intense lighting, some people even get by with just a nice sunny window. 

now about them aphids  :mad:

i've found the more you trim back before washing your plants with Azamax the easier/quicker everything goes

The active ingredient in AzaMax is Azadirachtin, which is extracted from neem oil.
Neem oil has virtually no toxicity towards humans and other mammals.
(it degrades within 100 hours when exposed to light and water) and shows very low toxicity to mammals (the LD50 in rats is > 3,540 mg/kg making it practically non-toxic)
Therefore it should be safe to use up to day of harvest. You may want to wash the fruit or vegetables that are sprayed, but this should be safe even if they aren't washed.
I have tried both Neem oil and Azamax and Azamax is just so much more effective.

Then (and you want to think about this now so you can order them in time) Ladybugs.
after you have uprooted and trimmed your plants wayyy back, then washed them down with Azamax , Ladybugs!
Now if you are using ladybugs to control aphids in a garden outdoors or something,  I  :rofl:  and say; Good luck!
But indoors they stay on the plants for the most part and when they die eventually you just vacuum them up   ;)
 Now, i overwinter my plants in the shop in the back of the garage which is heated. It's simple enough to sweep up and shop vac some dead ladybugs and totally worth it for the natural aphid protection they provide.
However, if you had your plants indoors buy a sunny window it might not be as appealing an idea: to let 1500 ladybugs go in your living room  :rofl: 
Though if you have a cat they may think it's the best thing ever!   :D

Understand though that sometimes even with the Azamax, and the Ladybugs, i have had losses, and aphidapocalypse in the grow room :mope:
Is it worth the effort to you when you may still be defeated by aphids anyway ?  For me it is. There are some F1 crosses that i want to keep, and continue to grow as long as possible!

There is really only so much you can do to battle aphids indoors on plants that have been outdoors, unless you want to use neonicotinoid systemic pesticides :(
 (theoretically if timed right, you would only be using before bringing indoors and thereby not posing any threat to pollinating beneficial insects)
I cannot in good conscience recommend the use of systemic pesticides though :(
While affecting the whole plant is good in that any insect that feeds on the plant will ingest it, that is not good for pollinating insects if it is still active at time of pollination. 

i'm happy to share my experiences battling aphids for you to learn from, but i am surely not an expert and still learning how to deal with them naturally myself.
feel free to PM me if you have any questions Jane.

:cheers:

catherinew said:

It depends on your opinions and preferences on organic practices and such, but I've found aphids to be more of a minor nuisance than a major problem.

I just use heavy doses of non-specific pesticides (a couple different pyrethrin based sprays) and check plants frequently. Catch them early and usually you only need to apply the spray 2 or 3 times. Supplement the pesticide with manual removal as necessary.

*Don't use pyrethrin on outdoor plants, it kills bees and beneficial insects.  

Catherinew, if you want to continue this conversation we should probably move it to a more appropriate subforum.

Also - Good morning Tokyo!

Whoops - semi-ninja'd by G.I.P. Your post puts mine to shame haha.

Guatemalan Insanity Pepper said:
i lost all my plants to aphids my first year overwintering :/ gave up for years... Then i found this place  :dance:
i wish i had bookmarked everything that i've learned a great deal from.

first off, you'll need to decide if you want  to continue ripening pods that you have, or just keep them plants alive through the winter to give yourself a headstart the following spring.

if you want to bring plants that have been outdoors soaking up mother natures wonderfully intense sun indoors and continue to ripen pods you may need some serious lighting. This does not necessarily mean $$ though it's gonna be Watt$ of power too

if you just want to keep the plants alive so that you can have a nice head start on the following year...
You can do that with far less intense lighting, some people even get by with just a nice sunny window. 

now about them aphids  :mad:

i've found the more you trim back before washing your plants with Azamax the easier/quicker everything goes

The active ingredient in AzaMax is Azadirachtin, which is extracted from neem oil.
Neem oil has virtually no toxicity towards humans and other mammals.
(it degrades within 100 hours when exposed to light and water) and shows very low toxicity to mammals (the LD50 in rats is > 3,540 mg/kg making it practically non-toxic)
Therefore it should be safe to use up to day of harvest. You may want to wash the fruit or vegetables that are sprayed, but this should be safe even if they aren't washed.
I have tried both Neem oil and Azamax and Azamax is just so much more effective.

Then (and you want to think about this now so you can order them in time) Ladybugs.
after you have uprooted and trimmed your plants wayyy back, then washed them down with Azamax , Ladybugs!
Now if you are using ladybugs to control aphids in a garden outdoors or something,  I  :rofl:  and say; Good luck!
But indoors they stay on the plants for the most part and when they die eventually you just vacuum them up   ;)
 Now, i overwinter my plants in the shop in the back of the garage which is heated. It's simple enough to sweep up and shop vac some dead ladybugs and totally worth it for the natural aphid protection they provide.
However, if you had your plants indoors buy a sunny window it might not be as appealing an idea: to let 1500 ladybugs go in your living room  :rofl: 
Though if you have a cat they may think it's the best thing ever!   :D

Understand though that sometimes even with the Azamax, and the Ladybugs, i have had losses, and aphidapocalypse in the grow room :mope:
Is it worth the effort to you when you may still be defeated by aphids anyway ?  For me it is. There are some F1 crosses that i want to keep, and continue to grow as long as possible!
There is really only so much you can do to battle aphids indoors on plants that have been outdoors, unless you want to use neonicotinoid systemic pesticides :(
 (theoretically if timed right, you would only be using before bringing indoors and thereby not posing any threat to pollinating beneficial insects)
I cannot in good conscience recommend the use of systemic pesticides though :(
While affecting the whole plant is good in that any insect that feeds on the plant will ingest it, that is not good for pollinating insects if it is still active at time of pollination. 

i'm happy to share my experiences battling aphids for you to learn from, but i am surely not an expert and still learning how to deal with them naturally myself.
feel free to PM me if you have any questions Jane.

:cheers:

+1 for AzaMax. I've been using it for years with great results.

The only thing I can add to GIP's post is that it also works great as a soil drench to kill any lingering nasties.

I usually pull plants, trim branches, trim roots, spray whole plant, soak roots in water spiked with nutes and AzaMax, plant in new potting mix, and soil drench with the same concoction the roots soaked in... even if I don't see any bugs.

A little bottle goes a long way, and there are good instructions for ratios and such for different applications included in the box.

I also use it as a soil drench at the first sign of gnats when I'm growing seedlings indoors.

Back