• Politics are not permitted. There's plenty of places to discuss that elsewhere, and a hot pepper forum is not the place. Thank you for respecting the community!

off-topic Good Mornin' Thread - For those that get up really early and post

Good morning. It's kinda sunny and 51F, on its way to 66F. Might just be another pretty nice day! Worked on my old friend the Gator yesterday. It's down to replacing the carburetor. My guess is the reeds/jets are bad. Problem is, I don't see a way to get the carb off without pulling the engine. Not this guy. I'll be looking for somebody else to do that. Cut the grass around the house as well. Today might be a work in the garden day - not sure yet. Harry - hope you feel better soon. Don't be afraid of going to the doctor and getting checked out if you can't shake it. Hope everybody has a great Saturday!

Good morning. Feeling a tad better but taking it easy. Pretty sure it's a sinus infection and a touch of bronchitis. I have to get to the doctor for some antibiotics. It's 50 on its way to 70. I repotted a few straggler paste tomatoes this morning. Between DR's Gator and my mower .... I wonder if the green paint is the problem! Sicman .... what brand mowers are the lawn guys using these days? Mine's 15 years old and maintenance on it is becoming extreme. Not much else is on the agenda unless I get a second wind. Be safe and be good.

Last edited:
Good morning! It's 60F on its way to 68F. We're supposed to have showers and thunderstorms all day, but it's sunny right now lol. Sat down in my La-Z-Boy yesterday morning and CRACK/POP. The rocker on the left side snapped off the support frame. Spent all afternoon messing with it. Come to find out, it was only held together with wooden dowels. Well, there's steel carriage bolts in there now. Good as new, maybe better lol. Today might be a good day to re-pot some tomato seedlings. Hope everybody has a peaceful and restful Sunday.

Off to mow then have to drop truck off for a new fuel pump. Nothing else really going on. Harry Gravely is very popular here and for good reason. Its what im personally running and have been for several years. Ex Mark is great but ive always thought they were a little expensive. Im considering a Bad Boy when I get another mower. I remember when they came out 20 years ago and were junk. They have came a long ways and the new Pro models actually really look like high quality machines and are built like tanks. Ive used everything over the last 32 years. What dealers do you have in your area?

Good morning. It's 50F on its way to 60F. Severe weather is on the way. Moderately busy work schedule. Not much else is going on. Trying to get in to see the doctor today and to get some antibiotics. Be safe and be good.

Sic ..... besides Wright Standers ...... most of the commercial units I see around here are Ferris, Scag, Hustler, Toro and JD. Every farm store sells Bad Boy and Cub Cadet. 10-15 years ago Exmarks and Grasshoppers were the king around here but I rarely see them anymore. The mower I borrowed the other day was a Scag. It was good. There is a Gravely dealer not far from here but I don't see many. I'm looking for a mid mount ZT with a 60" minimum cut. What's important for me now is service and reliability. As I get older, I am less inclined to perform my own repairs on these things. My JD commercial Z757 is a tank ..... the deck and body are indestructible. The weakest point has always been the Kawasaki engine and it seems like I'm spending an average of $750/year just to keep it running. I'm mowing ~5 acres/week. Rough terrain. Sloping hills but nothing steep.

Last edited:
It's foggy and 60F, on its way to 76F. Weatherman says it's going to be a beautiful day. Had a few storms come through yesterday/last night. Got some good rain. All the plants are heading for the carport today. No real cold in sight. Need to cut the grass but it's too wet - maybe tomorrow. Probably heading for the garden I guess. Have a great Monday everybody. Good Morning!

Harry im for sure not recommending anything from a farm store if your budget is more. The commercial Bad Boys are not even close to Tractor supplies or other farm stores. Cub Cadet is totally junk these days, I remember when they were top notch. Im not sure they even sell commercial anymore? Stay away from Toro, same story as the cubs. Scag and Hustler are great machines. I believe Hustler is having problems as ive seen several dealers shut down. Scag you just dont see anymore here, was really popular in TN. Gravely is supreme with low maintenance. No more greasing for starters as everything is self packed. They use very top end steel also on the bodies and the trannies are top notch. Ferris was grasshopper and Yazoo which is old school. They continually fold, but the new commercial models have shocks that do take some of the sting out. More things to break and why you got to mow so fast,lol. Im even more stoked your getting a new mower than me. Because it your money:rofl::rofl:

Harry im for sure not recommending anything from a farm store if your budget is more. The commercial Bad Boys are not even close to Tractor supplies or other farm stores. Cub Cadet is totally junk these days, I remember when they were top notch. Im not sure they even sell commercial anymore? Stay away from Toro, same story as the cubs. Scag and Hustler are great machines. I believe Hustler is having problems as ive seen several dealers shut down. Scag you just dont see anymore here, was really popular in TN. Gravely is supreme with low maintenance. No more greasing for starters as everything is self packed. They use very top end steel also on the bodies and the trannies are top notch. Ferris was grasshopper and Yazoo which is old school. They continually fold, but the new commercial models have shocks that do take some of the sting out. More things to break and why you got to mow so fast,lol. Im even more stoked your getting a new mower than me. Because it your money:rofl::rofl:
The Scag is real pricey .... right up there with the Exmark and JD .... maybe even higher. The top end Ferris is way expensive too. I'm going to check out the Gravely next time I'm up in the city. Thanks for the heads-up. What ever happened to Dixon? That's one I haven't seen in 20 years. What about Ariens ..... those used to be the bomb? Are they Gravely?

Last edited:
Stupid double post edit!!!!!!!!

Ariens "retired" and they sold to Gravely. What really happened is Ariens folded and Gravely bought all the patents. Go look at them, they are really good machines. They have a HD model that is no joke for not being commercial. But the commercial has several severe upgrades that even a home owner with 5 acres could appreciate. Next thing you know you will Lawn Dog it after retiring and mow for beer money :rofl:

Stupid double post edit!!!!!!!!

Ariens "retired" and they sold to Gravely. What really happened is Ariens folded and Gravely bought all the patents. Go look at them, they are really good machines. They have a HD model that is no joke for not being commercial. But the commercial has several severe upgrades that even a home owner with 5 acres could appreciate. Next thing you know you will Lawn Dog it after retiring and mow for beer money :rofl:
There you go .... get back into the lawn dog business. Maybe for beer and gas money .... the way things are going. For sure I'll check out the Gravely.

Good morning. It's 45F on its way to 55F. Big time storms came through last night. Sounded like the roof was going to fly off! Went to the doctor yesterday. I've got a sinus infection and bronchitis. Got antibiotics for that. Busy work schedule today. Later this afternoon I am either going to drag the boat up to my buddy's place to start the electronics installation or I'm going load up the old truck with all of the plants from the basement and start them hardening. We'll see how the day goes and how I feel. Not much is else is going on. Be safe and be good.

What, no love for Wright? I think they make a great machine and they seem to be really popular in the Midwest. I am on my 2d one, having purchased both of them used at an auction. I have only had the stand-up models. I have no experience with their ZTRs. They aren't cheap, but cut well and appear to be built like tanks. Kawasaki engines are standard, but you can also get them with Briggs & Stratton engines if you prefer. Wright also has a "B" model now specifically made for homeowners.

Last edited:
Back