beer Grass Snake has a brewing thread??

I don't know much about cold ...

I do know that while it's not perfect, you can run a hard boil for the first half of the boil with the lid partially open to have a good hard-break, and then finish it with the lid off for the last 30 mins for releasing the SMM/DMS(O) crap ...

I know because I just did it myself, last batch ;)

Doing an excellent job of chilling after covers the other half of the break story, the cold break, and limits the conversion of SMM back into DMS/DMSO ...

grantmichaels said:

I do know that while it's not perfect, you can run a hard boil for the first half of the boil with the lid partially open to have a good hard-break, and then finish it with the lid off for the last 30 mins for releasing the SMM/DMS(O) crap ...

This is good to know if all else fails

The Pizza oven/wok station thingy I used in the Chinese TD has a bigger burner I can rob. Probably do that..

Test run with the pizza oven/wok station/brew cart lol
6 gallon boil test with lid on 3:55pm

Attachments

• 20161220_155611.jpg
    20161220_155611.jpg
    213.7 KB · Views: 96
This burner definitely got hotter, it brought it to mash temp in almost exactly 1 hr then I run out of propane fml

I knew it was gonna run out though, I've had that tank for awhile..

Better it happened now rather than later when I'm actually brewing.

Grass Snake said:

It's struggling to hold it at boiling with the lid off. Maybe it's too cold outside..

36 degrees outside

What kind of burner do you have?  I just recently brewed outside when it was a balmy 0 degrees F and had no problems achieving and maintaining a nice vigorous boil.  I have an edelmetall bru burner

jbeer32 said:

What kind of burner do you have?  I just recently brewed outside when it was a balmy 0 degrees F and had no problems achieving and maintaining a nice vigorous boil.  I have an edelmetall bru burner

First attempt was with a standard turkey fryer burner, didn't cut it..

Second attempt was with one similar to yours, from what I can tell. It was all good until I ran out of propane..

Hoping to hold the mash temp at 152 degrees for 1hr. No idea if that sweatshirt will help or hurt lol
Brewing in the dark is the best

Attachments

• 20170122_190339.jpg
    20170122_190339.jpg
    71.8 KB · Views: 103
  • 20170122_185719.jpg
    20170122_185719.jpg
    79.1 KB · Views: 104
Back