• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

contest Growdown Throwdown 2017 Aji Lemon Drop!

Geonerd said:
Winter is here.  Snow in the hills.  Temps in the high 30s.  The plants are pretty much done for the year.

Limon yield is up to 345g, including a "few" partially green ones. (Slow-clap...)
It seems that most Throwdown plants I grow turns out to be runts.  Maybe it's the summer heat.  Or maybe the result of too much Bat Crap - or the improper, irregular, application thereof?
Will try to do better with the Brain Strains.....   :rolleyes:
From now on, feel free to post soil recipes or grow issues/questions in the 2018 growdown thread as they come up this year. I and Im sure, many others will be happy to help....after some friendly, competitive jabs of course :)

remain weary of certain advice though, its sabotage! Can you believe some would have you use fertilizer? I always use diesel fuel 5:1 in my watering can and I've never had to use miracle grow. 

I think they are just trying to get you to mess up or something..

Here is my secret. I totaled 5,785 grams in this contest using this method. I think that puts me in second place behind Guru...not bad coming from the Pacific Northwest. Pretty solid proof of its effectiveness. 

I use the exact fertilizers and portions from this thread. PRO-MIX HP for my medium. I may or may not have sprayed it with homemade compost tea :)  I'm going to make a huge one for the 2018 contest!

http://thehotpepper.com/topic/54589-diy-guide-how-to-make-off-grid-hydroponic-self-watering-container/

FKKRdowl.jpg

wWqYFUql.jpg

9R2icxAl.jpg

Geonerd said:
Winter is here.  Snow in the hills.  Temps in the high 30s.  The plants are pretty much done for the year.

Limon yield is up to 345g, including a "few" partially green ones. (Slow-clap...)
It seems that most Throwdown plants I grow turns out to be runts.  Maybe it's the summer heat.  Or maybe the result of too much Bat Crap - or the improper, irregular, application thereof?
Will try to do better with the Brain Strains.....   :rolleyes:

I know the hot summer days where the temps are crazy from 10AM on hurts both of us. I use a 30% sunshade as soon as the temps get into the 90's. Here it's around 6' 6"s or better from the bottom of the pot.

486.jpg

I moved it to a larger pot when I couldn't keep up with the watering early in the summer. It did flower like crazy all summer, but they would never set until it cooled back down. Even after moving it to a 65 gallon pot I had to hit it with 5 gallons every day. I used collected rain water. It lives in mainly 1 part kitchen compost, 1 part potting soil, 1 part composted cow manure/kitchen compost mix. It never did make any large pods like I saw in this glog from other plants. However it did make a bunch once the weather turned cooler. Pheno? My other plants made nice sized pods...

Pepper-Guru said:
From now on, feel free to post soil recipes or grow issues/questions in the 2018 growdown thread as they come up this year. I and Im sure, many others will be happy to help....after some friendly, competitive jabs of course :)

remain weary of certain advice though, its sabotage! Can you believe some would have you use fertilizer? I always use diesel fuel 5:1 in my watering can and I've never had to use miracle grow. 

I think they are just trying to get you to mess up or something..

I think a lot of my troubles are due to growing in containers in the bloody heat of Aridzona. I can't fence the yard, and the javelina will tear up anything growing on the ground.  So tabletop it is!
The plants go through gobs of water, which tends to flush nutes from  the soil, as well as deposit salts and minerals.  Whether using decent commercial (FFOF, etc.) or home-mix, the plants generally start off fine, but soon run out of gas, becoming outright chlorotic within 2 months or so.
This year's goal is to find a well balanced very-slow-release fertilizer to mix or top dress into the soil.  Bat crap (and even the dreaded miracle grow) works great for a short while, but definitely does not qualify as a long-term fertilizer.  And, yea, the ammonium nitrate + diesel oil mix is probably not helping!   :rolleyes:

Another factor was trying to use plastic pots.  My best plants from 2016 grew in fabric bags.  This year, the difference was even more pronounced. We had an utterly brutal heat wave in June (3 or 4 days of 115 ~118)  that seems to have stunted the plants in a big way.  Grow-bags allow the roots to get some evaporative cooling, and I apparently need to use them exclusively.

Devv, Thanks. Yea, the plants live under a big mesquite.  It's not  ideal in that the mid-day shade is too dark, and the sun can still sneak in from the side in the afternoon.  Might be time to pop for a big shade cloth and supporting frame. 

Geonerd said:

I think a lot of my troubles are due to growing in containers in the bloody heat of Aridzona. I can't fence the yard, and the javelina will tear up anything growing on the ground.  So tabletop it is!
The plants go through gobs of water, which tends to flush nutes from  the soil, as well as deposit salts and minerals.  Whether using decent commercial (FFOF, etc.) or home-mix, the plants generally start off fine, but soon run out of gas, becoming outright chlorotic within 2 months or so.
This year's goal is to find a well balanced very-slow-release fertilizer to mix or top dress into the soil.  Bat crap (and even the dreaded miracle grow) works great for a short while, but definitely does not qualify as a long-term fertilizer.  And, yea, the ammonium nitrate + diesel oil mix is probably not helping!   :rolleyes:

Another factor was trying to use plastic pots.  My best plants from 2016 grew in fabric bags.  This year, the difference was even more pronounced. We had an utterly brutal heat wave in June (3 or 4 days of 115 ~118)  that seems to have stunted the plants in a big way.  Grow-bags allow the roots to get some evaporative cooling, and I apparently need to use them exclusively.

Devv, Thanks. Yea, the plants live under a big mesquite.  It's not  ideal in that the mid-day shade is too dark, and the sun can still sneak in from the side in the afternoon.  Might be time to pop for a big shade cloth and supporting frame. 
Ok. Hear me out. I plan on moving the fam out there soon. So, Ive been thinking about that. Id say 1. go much larger on your container 2. Decrease aerators ratio (perlite/verm) meaning, if you use straight fox farm, add another 30% compost/verm castings/humus or the like. This will retain water better and reduce watering frequency. Although it may slow down some early fast root growth, it wont slow them down for long. 3. Is AMENDMENTS mineral dusts, nutrient dense, decayed and composted materials, castings, meals, nitrogen fixing plant greens and roots, forest floor humus, worms, bugs, youbget the point. You want a highly nutrient dense soil that is LIVING and can continue converting and feeding the plant. But...4. PH you gotta get it right. Buy a a good meter or test kit. You never KNOW until you know. If you find yourself trying to replenish dead fox farm or hpp pro mix around late July, then youll just be chasing your tail trying to play catch up. It shouldve already been in the soil all along...

Shade cloth 30% works wonders if too many hours of harsh sun.

Pepper-Guru said:
Well, guys...this is the last harvest of the year for me. 

Just as these plants were born into the world, they fade away to the ever after. Winter ensues, plant cells expand and contract at the whim of fluctuating temperatures as frigid winds rip through the leafless canopy of the once lushly covered, surrounding branches. **drinks more beer** 

anyway...

Final Harvest 783.5 grams
Total Harvest for the YEAR 11,802.3 grams

We have a couple more weeks! Who's winning this thing!? Wait, I know who....

Everyone. Because I'm sending the mother load of all hot sauce care packages out to everyone who participated!  :shh:

Rich, I almost envy you, I think I would have  if we were competing growing Rocoto Rojo or Amarillo. I REALLY got the jelly bug this year after making my first with peppers!

All you guys are amazing to me. My culinary horizon has expanded more in the last year than over my entire life, thanks to discovering the variety of flavor and hot.

Fun contest, was insane happy to be the tubby little guy in the back of the garden (gave up the gnome hat for Lent)......

Thanks, Guru.
Yea, PH is the big unknown.  With all the calcium in the water, the soil is probably under pressure to go alkaline.  Even with periodic 'big flush' over-watering, the sides of my grow bags get white and crunchy by the end of the year.  Can't justify a proper $100+ meter, so I'm looking for quality narrow-band indicator strips.

Or even the indicator drops with some soil samples mixed with water, allowed to settle a bit, should work. At least let you know where your range is, until you can get a feel for it by sight, smell etc. Its a feeling when the plants are happy. They grow at crazy speeds, color of foliage, leaves raise up ever so slightly, lots of signs. The soil is the key. 

Pepper-Guru said:
Or even the indicator drops with some soil samples mixed with water, allowed to settle a bit, should work. At least let you know where your range is, until you can get a feel for it by sight, smell etc. Its a feeling when the plants are happy. They grow at crazy speeds, color of foliage, leaves raise up ever so slightly, lots of signs. The soil is the key. 

Which do you think?
https://www.ebay.com/itm/100Pcs-4-5-9-PH-Test-Strips-Paper-Alkaline-Acid-Indicator-Litmus-Testing-Kit-US/263280458745
https://www.ebay.com/itm/pH-Test-Drops-pH-Checker-pH-Reagent-Kit-Alkaline-Drinking-Water-Test/263388413624

Assuming they work as advertised, either should be plenty precise.

I had my garden soil tested this fall, it came in at 7.8; not good!  I had tested it myself before, and came up with the same number. I used neutral water (7.0) added the soil leaving an inch of water at the top of the mixed solution. Then tested it after it settled. The strips should give you a good indication of where you're at. I collect and use rain water when I can. My well has a Ph in the 8's :shh:

Those of us that live in the more arid regions have a higher Ph than those who have plenty of rain.

Geonerd said:
the second one there looks like my kit.

Devv said:
I had my garden soil tested this fall, it came in at 7.8; not good!  I had tested it myself before, and came up with the same number. I used neutral water (7.0) added the soil leaving an inch of water at the top of the mixed solution. Then tested it after it settled. The strips should give you a good indication of where you're at. I collect and use rain water when I can. My well has a Ph in the 8's :shh:

Those of us that live in the more arid regions have a higher Ph than those who have plenty of rain.
higher ph as in more basic correct? Or do you mean higher acidity? Because Ive noticed the more rain, the higher the ph (basic) the nutrients being acidic being washed out leads to a basic situation for me here in ga

Pepper-Guru said:
the second one there looks like my kit.

higher ph as in more basic correct? Or do you mean higher acidity? Because Ive noticed the more rain, the higher the ph (basic) the nutrients being acidic being washed out leads to a basic situation for me here in ga
Like This

More basic here with higher Ph numbers. From what I've read, they say the wetter regions are more acidic. You're not East coast where they "say" the more acidic soils are.

What is your Ph there for virgin soil? Very interesting the rains raise your Ph. I would have thought the rains would have a lower Ph. My rain barrels are half full, now I feel I need to check them ;)

BUT, according to what I've read, if it's true, they "say" the water shouldn't really affect to soil Ph. But....leaching is another story. Food for thought.

I find most pepper plants like anywhere from 5.8-6.5
Some of them can really eat up some nutrients!

I usually only check now when I notice an issue. Slow growth or leaf symptoms.

Really, ph is governed by the mix of nutrients and minerals in a given soil, so a grower remembering their amendments ability to feed the plant is governed by the barrel stave theory. Your soil is only as good as your weakest link. Its a theory mentioned in Teaming With Nutrients and it blew my mind open a couple years ago.

Rainwater in my region comes in at a skin burning 4.3-4.5,and we have shit for buffers. It's acidic anywhere in this country though. Look at the bedrock geology in your state. There are maps and layers online. I use them to find streams with better buffering capacity in hopes of locating wild trout. They are a good resource for gardening also. It's surprising how things can change in a relatively short distance.

Pepper-Guru said:
I find most pepper plants like anywhere from 5.8-6.5
Some of them can really eat up some nutrients!

I usually only check now when I notice an issue. Slow growth or leaf symptoms.

Really, ph is governed by the mix of nutrients and minerals in a given soil, so a grower remembering their amendments ability to feed the plant is governed by the barrel stave theory. Your soil is only as good as your weakest link. Its a theory mentioned in Teaming With Nutrients and it blew my mind open a couple years ago.

Drops acquired.  A very quick soil test on just one random pot suggests ph is pushing 8.  Need to dial in the filtering and other aspects of the test before calling this data "good."  Headed for the chemistry shop for some phosphoric acid, or maybe I can find some PH-Down, etc. at the dope-grower's hydro store... ;)  Thanks again.

Geonerd said:

Drops acquired.  A very quick soil test on just one random pot suggests ph is pushing 8.  Need to dial in the filtering and other aspects of the test before calling this data "good."  Headed for the chemistry shop for some phosphoric acid, or maybe I can find some PH-Down, etc. at the dope-grower's hydro store... ;)  Thanks again.
Good idea, Greg, I need to do the same.  

I'm thinking all the containers should be in the same
general range since they have all been essentially
treated the same way over the seasons.

Back