• Politics are not permitted. There's plenty of places to discuss that elsewhere, and a hot pepper forum is not the place. Thank you for respecting the community!

hobbies GUNS!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was going to post this in the "SPAM" thread but decided it is useful information here for anyone prepping for the apocalypse!  

AB04D61A-ACF8-4811-977F-17BEB5441405.jpeg

stettoman said:
Well poop. My Perf. Center M&P9 is getting sent in for warranty...
attachicon.gif
PC 2.0 S&W M&P9.jpg

Only a few hundred rounds in and my shiny mirror smooth stainless steel barrel is developing severe orbital scoring.
attachicon.gif
M&P barrel2.jpg

Thing is, I think this may well become a recall issue, as I'm not the only owner with this complaint.
The slide has a machined lip inside the forward end, which makes it the ONLY possible point of contact.
I just got the Fedx label from CS, I'm gonna miss the damn thing.

I think my next handheld will be a good old fashioned wheel gun...

So this unit went back to S&W, came back with NOTHING done but some rounds gone through it and they left it dirty and dry. Their repair order report said "No repair required". 

So I sent pics to a high'a faluting gunsmith I know, who tels me"

"Its a faulty design or material spec. What is happening there is the bad design is vibrating the living **** out of the barrel since the porting is a slide containment design off a floating (loose non fixed) barrel. Basically, as the port gas blasts up, the barrel is hammered directly into the MOVING slide barrel bearing surface and vibrating back all around as the slide cycles rearward. This type of design work calls for different metalurgy of the barrel that would resist these forces. A greater bearing area is not possible for reduction since the barrel must pivot downward in its cycle, so your back to barrel hardness and galling resistance of the final specification. They should have Rockwell-tested the barrel to make sure it is up to the proper hardness for this rough use application. When I worked SC at Auto Ordnance I never, ever would have sent it back to you in such a galled up condition. Hopefully, its just a bad barrel that SHOULD have been changed out. Years ago S&W was the example of top notch CS."

I sent this to S&W and have yet to get a response. I've found other owners with the same issue, it IS a bad steel spec for this design. This pistol cost me money I've never spent on ANY firearm I've owned, this will not pass....

stettoman said:

So this unit went back to S&W, came back with NOTHING done but some rounds gone through it and they left it dirty and dry. Their repair order report said "No repair required". 

So I sent pics to a high'a faluting gunsmith I know, who tels me"

"Its a faulty design or material spec. What is happening there is the bad design is vibrating the living **** out of the barrel since the porting is a slide containment design off a floating (loose non fixed) barrel. Basically, as the port gas blasts up, the barrel is hammered directly into the MOVING slide barrel bearing surface and vibrating back all around as the slide cycles rearward. This type of design work calls for different metalurgy of the barrel that would resist these forces. A greater bearing area is not possible for reduction since the barrel must pivot downward in its cycle, so your back to barrel hardness and galling resistance of the final specification. They should have Rockwell-tested the barrel to make sure it is up to the proper hardness for this rough use application. When I worked SC at Auto Ordnance I never, ever would have sent it back to you in such a galled up condition. Hopefully, its just a bad barrel that SHOULD have been changed out. Years ago S&W was the example of top notch CS."

I sent this to S&W and have yet to get a response. I've found other owners with the same issue, it IS a bad steel spec for this design. This pistol cost me money I've never spent on ANY firearm I've owned, this will not pass....

I'd buy an aftermarket barrel and be done....

paulky_2000 said:

I'd buy an aftermarket barrel and be done....

And I may do just that, though I haven't found any selection of 5" ported barrels or this model.

Besides, This is now become less a flawed barrel issue as a major manufacturer not wanting to stand behind their supposed high-end model pistols.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back