• Politics are not permitted. There's plenty of places to discuss that elsewhere, and a hot pepper forum is not the place. Thank you for respecting the community!

hobbies GUNS!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd love to have access to longer ranges. 200 is max where I shoot and really doesn't pesent much of a challenge.
Would love to take a road trip to south Dakota and the pop up target wonderland.

CAPCOM said:
I'd love to have access to longer ranges. 200 is max where I shoot and really doesn't pesent much of a challenge.
Would love to take a road trip to south Dakota and the pop up target wonderland.

We have a 600 yard range here. Can be  a challenge on a windy day with the open sights on my AR, but I can get inside the 8 ring on most shots.

2700m (2950 yards)

2085629_m1t1w500q75s1v56001_._Photos_DC_SEN_123239-GHC3FDRB2.1-ORG.jpg

Military shooting range Oberlausitz.. with reactive targets (infantry, APC, MBT falling targets.. some moving). 7.62x51 for 11cts and 5,56x45 and 9x19 for 7.5cts on shooting days (can't stock, have to document and return brass before leaving).

I thought you 'murricans got such nice shooting ranges. I'm a bit dissapointed to be honest.

Pfeffer said:
I thought you 'murricans got such nice shooting ranges. I'm a bit dissapointed to be honest.

ive never seen a range with targets like that.

the range here in houston(the one in george bush park) goes out to 1k yards only i believe.

there is a 'plinking' range, but its 22 only. and only 50 yards i believe.

queequeg152 said:

ive never seen a range with targets like that.

the range here in houston(the one in george bush park) goes out to 1k yards only i believe.

there is a 'plinking' range, but its 22 only. and only 50 yards i believe.

Yeah, most ranges I've been to if they have steel targets its only for .22lr and short range. If you want to shoot steel you have to bring your own.

The best range I've been to in this area is Best of the West out in Liberty Hill. They have a rifle range that goes out to 1000 yards, several shorter ranges, pistol range, trap & skeet and then the very coolest thing is they have "tactical bays" where you can shoot anything up to .223 or 300 blackout. 

The tac bays are sweet, just big earthen berm areas varying from 50 to 100 yards where you have free run of the place without having a range officer to tell you when to shoot & when you can hang targets and all that. It's as close as you can get to shooting on private land at a public range. It's normally what we rent when we get a big group together to go out shooting. 

Pfeffer said:
2700m (2950 yards)

Military shooting range Oberlausitz.. with reactive targets (infantry, APC, MBT falling targets.. some moving). 7.62x51 for 11cts and 5,56x45 and 9x19 for 7.5cts on shooting days (can't stock, have to document and return brass before leaving).

Well, you see, here in the US, we have what are called American lawyers who are all too willing to blame and sue innocent people for accidents and careless acts caused by negligent shooters. And I am sure that as well as our libreraltard class politicians has a lot to do with civilians using military installation ranges.

Here if you want to shoot steel targets you're NOT allowed to bring your own. There's plenty of M60 Patton tanks, SPW-50 and SPW-60s though.

Might be some kind of liability thing too ;)

Pfeffer said:
Here if you want to shoot steel targets you're NOT allowed to bring your own. There's plenty of M60 Patton tanks, SPW-50 and SPW-60s though.

Might be some kind of liability thing too ;)

you can shoot at f**king old derelict tanks? are you serious?

thats amazing... now im wondering why military bases here cant open up their ranges for shooters... make a bit of cash maby.  they are not in use probably 90% of the time. but its not like they put these training bases inside huge population areas. 

capcom is right though, someone would pop off a round and catch a ricochet in the face off some rock that was not removed and get all sue happy.

actually, f**k all that. id be happy if the us military would just sell its surplus pistols.  from what i recall, there is some restriction on selling back the newer shit, but not the older rifles dating back to the 40's.

selling their shtity old rifles would be cool too, though idk how they would do that... what with them being actual select fire rifles.

Pfeffer said:
Flex in the trigger.. They say the same about the USP with the polymer trigger.. Never bothered me. Imho there's a difference in issued guns and match guns, and shooters should keep that in mind.

Not flex in the trigger shoe, flex in the internal trigger parts.  BIG difference.

queequeg152 said:

actually, f**k all that. id be happy if the us military would just sell its surplus pistols.  from what i recall, there is some restriction on selling back the newer shit, but not the older rifles dating back to the 40's.

selling their shtity old rifles would be cool too, though idk how they would do that... what with them being actual select fire rifles.

Easy, just repeal FOPA and let us buy machine guns manufactured after 1986 :cool:

One of my buddies is a bit of a stamp collector and actually has a pre-1986 transferable lower complete with giggle switch that cost him several 10s of thousands of dollars. It's a lot of fun to shoot but burns through ammo as well as barrels pretty quick. Since I didn't win the powerball it's still a bit out of my price range though.

Come to my part of Texas,we have live breathing/moving pork targets that easily accept 7.62X39 or .54 at your leisure
Pigs inside 500yds is just plain lazy and bucket killing by definition.
Range shooters are handicapped and very limited,they talk shit because of it
We bring them out to wide open pork plinking and they cant hit live prey inside 100yds
PAPER doesnt MOVE !! LMAO!!
Pfeffer said:
2700m (2950 yards)

TNKS said:
Come to my part of Texas,we have live breathing/moving pork targets that easily accept 7.62X39 or .54 at your leisure
Pigs inside 500yds is just plain lazy and bucket killing by definition.
Range shooters are handicapped and very limited,they talk shit because of it
We bring them out to wide open pork plinking and they cant hit live prey inside 100yds
PAPER doesnt MOVE !! LMAO!!
I'm game for any shooting. And that sounds like fun

Shooting armored vehicles isn't fun. They are 500-2950 yards away and are more meant to be shot at with 50cal API, and 20mm. With a 7.62x51 you only see some sparks (military Ball has a tombak plated steel jacket). As they are solid they don't sound like plates either. You hear impact though.

Falling targets that can be raised/dropped/moved from 10 - 800 yards are a lot of fun though. But mostly it's used for paper targets out to 500m (~550 yards). I usually go to Augustdorf, Bergen-hohne and Oberlausitz which are hundreds of miles apart. It's a nice weekend out though. Lock your weapons up there and go drinking with buddy's afterwards. Sober up the next day and drive home on Sunday.
Shooting armored vehicles isn't fun. They are 500-2950 yards away and are more meant to be shot at with 50cal API, and 20mm. With a 7.62x51 you only see some sparks (military Ball has a tombak plated steel jacket). As they are solid they don't sound like plates either. You hear impact though.

Falling targets that can be raised/dropped/moved from 10 - 800 yards are a lot of fun though. But mostly it's used for paper targets out to 500m (~550 yards). I usually go to Augustdorf, Bergen-hohne and Oberlausitz which are hundreds of miles apart. It's a nice weekend out though. Lock your weapons up there and go drinking with buddy's afterwards. Sober up the next day and drive home on Sunday.

Germany always does everything all the way.  Love it.  I miss Freiburg dearly. 

Got an odd one for you all, I value and appreciate the expertise here.  

Was at the LGS Saturday and someone had just traded in a Taurus P111 (early first gen, s/n says built in 2000).  Nice and clean, lightly used.  More holster wear than chamber wear.   

He offered it to me for way cheap (compared to the FNS-compact I was drooling on!) Was an impulse buy as I was doing papers for the plinkster I was buying for my daughter. 

Only when I got home did I realize that this thing is in the recall class.  However, I'm thinking about possibly keeping it. Those that like them, love them!

Now, this older piece has been carried for many years, or so I was told.  If it had problems for the original owner, surely he would have known by now. 

I couldn't make it safety fail in any way while dry firing. 

I want to take it to the range and run it just to see what it can do. 

But I also want to drop test it, as that is the real danger if carrying it in Cond-0. 
(There is a video of a brazilian PO demonstrating a Taurus pistol firing just from being shaken.  Wow!) 

I read that some primed 9mm brass is a good way to do this.  What do you think?
Any of my CT reloading brethren want to help me out by selling me a handful of these?  I really don't need 1K of them, lulz.   

Any other thoughts on this are welcome (other than "Taurus sucks!").  Seems they have a real bimodal quality distribution for their striker pistols.  Any given pistol can be great or terrible, and the lemons can't be easily fixed.  Very odd. 

I may ultimately see if the LGS will just take it back for what I paid and put it toward the FNS, but I really didn't want to spend that scratch right now. 

ETA: Once the class action settles, I can send this 15 year old pistol in for a brand new P-111 G2, all on Taurus' dime.  I think I'm gonna choot it a bit now and send it in for a new pistol later.  Not a bad deal. 

texas blues said:
1911 45.acp SA Mil Spec.

7 yards.

I ain't the best.

But good enough.

Have mercy!

Lots of nice 45 cal holes you have there TB. Looks like you had fun. I was out at the range as well this weekend. Haven't been in a while. Good fun. And, yes, among other guns, I certainly brought my 1911 with me.

Jeff H said:

Lots of nice 45 cal holes you have there TB. Looks like you had fun. I was out at the range as well this weekend. Haven't been in a while. Good fun. And, yes, among other guns, I certainly brought my 1911 with me.

Much obliged amigo.

No range trip this week.

My local is almost an hour away.

Mostly due to road construction. 

But so well worth it!

http://www.eaglegunrangetx.com/

Have mercy!

This one is mostly for my fellow Texans since I think the cost of shipping elsewhere might offset the low prices but this place is one of the better kept secrets of cheap, high quality practice ammo:

https://www.pbrammo.com/

It's especially cheap if you live close enough for local pickup, I managed to grab 700 rounds of reloaded 9mm for $145 out the door a few weeks back. $19.20 per box of 100 + sales tax. 

They also sell ammo manufactured with new brass but it's not quite as cheap as the reloaded stuff of course. After shooting a couple hundred rounds of the reloads I'm very satisfied with the quality and it's always nice to support a local small business. 

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back