• Politics are not permitted. There's plenty of places to discuss that elsewhere, and a hot pepper forum is not the place. Thank you for respecting the community!

hobbies GUNS!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pfeffer said:
Why not Heil Korth? Ruger is nice, but I still have to find a revolver that shoots better than a Korth.

How much are they?

I'm not paying ONE THOUSAND DOLLARS for a minimal improvement in a revolver. 

Even my Taurus drives tacks at 50 feet....and it was $450.

Please....let me know the price and the advantage to a S&W, Ruger, Colt, or even a (gasp!) Taurus...:)

I resisted buying a polymer pistol for so long.  I have finally caved. 
TGS let me return the recall-class Taurus mentioned upthread for full credit. 

As I was already in for half, I went ahead and bought my first semi auto.  Drum roll, please...

FNH FNS-9C.  What a thing of beauty! 
https://www.fnamerica.com/products/handguns/fns-series/fns-9-compact/

The ambidextrous controls, grip size, trigger pull, and 3-mag geometries clinched it for me. 
The most comfortable semi auto I've ever held. 

I've always had trouble finding the right size and fit for my small hams.
This thing is my goldilocks gun, it fits just right. 

Have not gotten to the range with it yet.  Am slacking the slide a million times to loosen it up a bit.  This thing is built like a brick sh!thouse. 

Next on my radar is a .22LR pistol for the range. 

But, I think I've gotten stung by the polymer-pistol bug.  Going to fondle a Walther PPQ next.  I mean, I do need a polymer semi in .45.  Don't I? 

Pfeffer said:
Why not Heil Korth? Ruger is nice, but I still have to find a revolver that shoots better than a Korth.

Kuz you're in Europe and we're in America. I've never seen a Korth over here nor do I know anyone with one. I do have 3 Rugers in the safe though. ;)

Paulky, I have two Taurus's. One I inherited and one I bought. I inherited a 38spl, nothing special but it was Dad's so I keep it. I bought the 1911 a number of years back. Love it still. It has been shot quite a bit.

20140112_110504.jpg

Idiot Piquant said:
  I mean, I do need a polymer semi in .45.  Don't I? 

Could always adopt your FNS 9C's big brother the FNX 45. Holds 15 rounds vs the PPQ's 12. I don't have huge hands either & it's still comfortable to hold. 

Polymers?
I have shot several. Ruger, Beretta, Glock. They are OK. But if I am going to spend $350.+ on a pistol, I want steel or at the very least aluminum/steel. Don't get me wrong, The polymers shoot just fine. But I think some things should be done as they always have and gun construction materials are one of them. Besides, they feel cheaper too.

paulky_2000 said:
Just looked.....

$8K.......for a revolver....

Uh..........

.....no.
Haha I was just messing with you. They are the best of the best though. Never shot such a smooth gun before. They don't cost $8K here though, they are around 3500 euro. The used ones go for around 1000 euro.

I'm not the best handgun shooter, but during a military shooting day a guy poppen out a french Manurhin revolver. It's not a bad revolver, but it's a Standard service gun (i.e. not the best trigger). One of the American service guys started the cocky "there's nothing better than murrican guns" speech and got one of the old US 38 spl service revolvers. I have to admit, he had a very good score.

One of the German guys promised to bring his revolvers the next day. He is a match shooter and has a Korth and some SW and a Colt Python.

He literally oblitterated the american's score the next day with his Korth. After a few tries, the US guy also got very nice scores with the Korth.

Unfortunately they are so finely made that I wouldn't consider one my self. Mechanically wel made, strong, but made to such tolerances that I heard of jams by un burned powder grains. That's a bit too much.

A nice example of deutsche Gründlichkeit though.

If I had to spent that much money on a gun it would be a G43, FG42 or STG44 repro from SSD arms.

Polymer frames don't bother me at all, I love my G22. It's a gen 2 and well over 20 years old, never had one issue with it and the polymer frame is still in great shape.

Now a completely polymer (except firing pin) gun is a different story  :D

3JjVkvNh.png

1234 said:

Are the laws for owning a gun i USA the same in every state? 

I live in Alaska, which has very liberal gun laws.  Well, in the lexical meaning of the word.

Firearms are openly traded between citizens here without government involvement, guns aren't registered and private sales and trades aren't traced.
It's one of the most heavily armed states, the amount of rifles here per household is untraceable and likely phenomenally large for such a low population.
Firearm related crime is extremely low...probably because everyone is armed to the teeth.  An armed society is a polite society.
The state has a "Constitutional Carry" policy and has virtually no gun control other than what is required by the Federal Government (which is the crux of the argument...there shouldn't be any)
You can openly carry holstered weapons or carry concealed weapons, including blades, without any licensing or permits
Ammunition purchases, magazine sizes, and reloading supplies are not regulated whatsoever.
The state government actively encourages people to be armed for safety.

Helvete said:
I live in Alaska, which has very liberal gun laws.  Well, in the lexical meaning of the word.

Firearms are openly traded between citizens here without government involvement, guns aren't registered and private sales and trades aren't traced.
It's one of the most heavily armed states, the amount of rifles here per household is untraceable and likely phenomenally large for such a low population.
Firearm related crime is extremely low...probably because everyone is armed to the teeth.  An armed society is a polite society.
The state has a "Constitutional Carry" policy and has virtually no gun control other than what is required by the Federal Government (which is the crux of the argument...there shouldn't be any)
You can openly carry holstered weapons or carry concealed weapons, including blades, without any licensing or permits
Ammunition purchases, magazine sizes, and reloading supplies are not regulated whatsoever.
The state government actively encourages people to be armed for safety.

The Brady campaign gives Alaska an F. That is something to be proud of and for other states to aspire to. We scored a D here in Ohio. More work to do I guess.

http://www.bradycampaign.org/sites/default/files/SCGLM-Final10-spreads-points.pdf

I'm probably getting shot for this, but I'm actually for proper gun legislation. Untraced firearms don't really make me feel that warm and cosy. I totally agree that you should be able to own a gun if you are in bear country or a 6 hour drive from the nearest sheriff.

Not sure if everyone should be able to own one though. For the same reason that some people shouldn't have kids or voting rights for that matter..

I guess I grew up with a totally different mindset (it's a privilege and not a right to own firearms here).

You might be right with the armed society is a polite society. And you might be right that someone would think twice before robbing an armed person.. But on the other hand, the ones that do decide to go down that road - will they come unarmed?

Don't get me wrong, I'm not for banning guns - I'm just saying some background checks and proper training wouldn't hurt. Not all convicted, alcoholic hillbillies with an IQ of 75 should be carrying guns. Just by looking youtube I would ban 1000 people from owning firearms.

Just my 2 cents.

Pfeffer said:
I'm probably getting shot for this, but I'm actually for proper gun legislation. Untraced firearms don't really make me feel that warm and cosy. I totally agree that you should be able to own a gun if you are in bear country or a 6 hour drive from the nearest sheriff.

Not sure if everyone should be able to own one though. For the same reason that some people shouldn't have kids or voting rights for that matter..

I guess I grew up with a totally different mindset (it's a privilege and not a right to own firearms here).

You might be right with the armed society is a polite society. And you might be right that someone would think twice before robbing an armed person.. But on the other hand, the ones that do decide to go down that road - will they come unarmed?

Don't get me wrong, I'm not for banning guns - I'm just saying some background checks and proper training wouldn't hurt. Not all convicted, alcoholic hillbillies with an IQ of 75 should be carrying guns. Just by looking youtube I would ban 1000 people from owning firearms.

Just my 2 cents.
I understand what you are saying and could be inclined to agree up to a certain point that I will define right now.
Yes, certain people should maybe not be allowed to possess or own guns. Now the kicker, WHO defines those people and what criteria will be used to define at what point a person should and a person should not have those rights. That is the problem facing this country right now. A well meaning and sounding piece of legislation passed and pushed beyond its meaning suddenly disarms a population. And that legislation was intended by the authors to do just that. So that is why there is such a push back on any kind of legislation to deny constitutional rights to anyone.

CAPCOM said:
 So that is why there is such a push back on any kind of legislation to deny constitutional rights to anyone.

Pfeffer said:

Pfeffer, you're correct. it is a totally different mindset. Our founding fathers needed the armed populace to be able to rise up and overthrow a tyrannical regime just like we did with Britain. It is a constitutional right here for a reason and target shooting and hunting are not the reasons.

But I also agree, in theory. Not everyone should have guns, but where that line is drawn is fuzzy, and who gets to draw that line is unclear.

Finally had some time to get out to the rifle range today. It had been a couple of years since  had my service rifle out, so I grabbed it and the match ammo to check out how well it held zero.

200 yards, open sights shooting off of sandbags.

20160306_163133.jpg

Not bad for not having been shot in two years.
It scares me a little how accurate this rifle is with open sights. Now that CMP allows scopes...

For those who care about the technical details:
Target is a regular 300 yard target reduced for 200 yards.
Bullets are 77SMK pushed by RL15.

Less impressive, but still not bad for 200 yards,

20160306_163139.jpg

Bigger holes were my M1 Garand shooting cheap HPX ammo and smaller holes was my cheapo AR15 with a Vortex red dot. Same style target, same distance.

I rarely go in this forum, so I forgot about this thread. Some seriously nice toys the members have!

My everyday carry is my Glock 35. It's big and bulky, but I love it! My backup is a Ruger LCP. Hate it, other than the fact that it is easy to carry. Not sure it is good for anything other than an extreme close range last resort.

IMG_20160309_142609260.jpg

Damn can't believe I missed this thread.  I build 80% AR lowers from billets and AK recievers from receiver flats.  But I have a large collection (by California standards):

My AR10 - she shoots 1/3MOA :

166115_1770128738215_6051228_n.jpg

RangeReport-1.jpg

AR15's:

18056_1319374349637_3671222_n.jpg

171278_1826304302569_302997_o.jpg

Benelli M4 Gas Operated Semi-auto shotgun with C-More Red Dot:

76053_1709213335368_8011821_n.jpg

Kimber Raptor II Custom

172126_1826304422572_3049173_o.jpg

Ruger 10/22 with ALL the options:

171652_1826305022587_2727814_o.jpg