• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Guru's 2013

It begins with a tray...

8529680870_ff959399bf.jpg

mostly, its a survival of the fittest when i do it like this. which ever seedling is the first to pop or most vigorous, is the one that lives. i am keeping a few of the twins though, because someone in the area needs some. i just gently tease apart the roots, and transplant into another container. if youre careful, its not that hard :)

mostly, its a survival of the fittest when i do it like this. which ever seedling is the first to pop or most vigorous, is the one that lives. i am keeping a few of the twins though, because someone in the area needs some. i just gently tease apart the roots, and transplant into another container. if youre careful, its not that hard :)

2 for 1............I end up selling some perennials that I dig up in the Spring. Occasionally theres a 2nd type of plant popping up that ends up growing in the same 1 gal containers. I can joke about it but folks think they're getting a better deal with 2 plants in 1 pot..........maybe there are..........lol

My recipes change with every passing year and with what ever resources I have available at the time. Whether it be locally sourced composts, manures, loams, soils, how well I did with my own composting over the winter, or what deals I happen to stumble upon out there in the "markets", I chose whatever is most economical and self sustainable. Recycling and composting old soils from the previous season counts for the bulk of my mediums in containers. Its very easy to create a living soil food web this way, rather than buying freshly manufactured mediums in new bags and then trying to bring them to life. I do buy a bale of peat, verm, and perlite now and again to keep adding to the pile or to create sterile seed starting mixes.
You can just about use any ingredient you want so long as you stick to a rough ratio of 50% compost, 30%% Loam, 20% aerators. This creates a nice, airy mix that also retains moisture optimally.

My recipes change with every passing year and with what ever resources I have available at the time. Whether it be locally sourced composts, manures, loams, soils, how well I did with my own composting over the winter, or what deals I happen to stumble upon out there in the "markets", I chose whatever is most economical and self sustainable. Recycling and composting old soils from the previous season counts for the bulk of my mediums in containers. Its very easy to create a living soil food web this way, rather than buying freshly manufactured mediums in new bags and then trying to bring them to life. I do buy a bale of peat, verm, and perlite now and again to keep adding to the pile or to create sterile seed starting mixes.
You can just about use any ingredient you want so long as you stick to a rough ratio of 50% compost, 30%% Loam, 20% aerators. This creates a nice, airy mix that also retains moisture optimally.

The 50/30/20 is what I was looking for. Would composting last year's soil sterilize it of any negative fungus, pathogens and bacteria?

I would probably set "known" infected soils into a seperate quarantine pile for at least two seasons. Or stleast put them into the center of a highly active decomposition pile. A big pile of mixed wood mulch, chipped, gets quite hot in the center. Hell when I get done brewing, my piles f spent grain get so hot that I've burnded my self reaching into one! lol

I would probably set "known" infected soils into a seperate quarantine pile for at least two seasons. Or stleast put them into the center of a highly active decomposition pile. A big pile of mixed wood mulch, chipped, gets quite hot in the center. Hell when I get done brewing, my piles f spent grain get so hot that I've burnded my self reaching into one! lol

Awesome! Thanks for the response and sharing of your knowledge.

Update time:

Don't know if anyone remembers but the big Fatalii mother came from a seedling that happened to be a triple cotyledon. So here is the predecessor.
8581410256_8a1ce98cb2_b.jpg

Rooster Spur

8580310223_dcac6b1f99_b.jpg

Trinidad Scorpion

8580312103_439097c3b9_b.jpg

Gold Bullets

8580314041_dc84e1e63e_b.jpg

7 Pot Primo

8581416996_40d4ef2994_b.jpg

Not Black Naga

8580349821_556af653e5_b.jpg

7 Pot Congo

8580351565_f2e210f38d_b.jpg

Foodarama Red Scotch Bonnet

8580392481_d6f6fd248f_b.jpg

Birgits Locoto

8580393713_b5d32c49ac_b.jpg

Giant Choco Twist

8580395919_86b2ed9a21_b.jpg

Brain Strain

8581499470_5938a66127_b.jpg

Aji Chuncho

8580400977_a178d7c1f7_b.jpg

Assams, Indian Carbons, and Fatalii

8581503140_3861e70e60_b.jpg

I'll be leaving for Arizona on Friday, so the babies are going to be taken care of for two weeks by a friend. I'll post pictures from the trip as time goes by.

Back