• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Guru's Garden - Traveling the World in Search of Peppers

Just starting this glog now so it's one less thing to do in a few months when I'm knee deep in compost and getting things in the ground.

Not much to report at the moment. Strains yet to be determined, but I'll probably end up growing too many like always...lol

Only thing that's going on right now is a clean back patio and the chickens doing their part turning over my compost pile on the daily. Intersted in seeing how the soil microbes appreciate the added chicken poop!

12160459874_edc8a4473f_b.jpg

12160725676_2031da1016_b.jpg

Hope everyone has had a decent winter so far and here's to happy germination!

12161422126_10d10e2e41_z.jpg

EDIT UPDATE: This glog has turned into an ongoing overwintering, greenhouse and soil building how-to!

TXCG said:
Also what is that "Bad Datil" you're growing?

There you go. I've shared seeds with some people.
I'm going to re-grow them again from the original F2 i've found in my stash.
Rich i've received from you some VERY interesting bhuts but so far no one germinated... i'll give another try in the next season.
Your plants look great!

Cya

Datil

Thegreenchilemonster said:
Awesome grow you have there! I'm curious about those white pene de mono peppers. The name sounds like the famous pipi de mono (monkey dick) peppers, actually they both mean the same thing. The pipi de mono is a frutescens that ripens red, and is considered to be one of the hottest Peruvian peppers.

Datil said:
I actually read that not long ago! Perhaps the guy in the Belen market didn't know the name of the white ones and just gave me the name of that variety? Either way, the whites are delis cooks and I didn't get them to germ... :(
There you go. I've shared seeds with some people.
I'm going to re-grow them again from the original F2 i've found in my stash.
Rich i've received from you some VERY interesting bhuts but so far no one germinated... i've giving another try in the next season.
Your plants look great!

Cya

Datil
No germination for you on the Bhuts?! That sucks. I'll send more.

Pepper-Guru said:
   No germination for you on the Bhuts?! That sucks. I'll send more.

You're too generous :)
I've not sowed the Hoyt's bhut though, probably it was a little fresher/easier to germinate than your original assamese.
I was very very late for this season anyway because of house moving...

Keep up with your excellent grow and soil feeding tips!

Datil

D3monic said:
Damn that trout looks fantastic!

FreeportBum said:
That looks amazingly good
Thanks. Father in Law caught them at our camping place near blue ridge. Stuffed them with orange Thai peppers, lemongrass, cilantro, lime and then seared them over oak in a type of homemade adobo sauce. Closed it all up and let the smoke do the rest.

Also, you know what Spring time trout mean! it's dank tank time with the leftovers and runts!

I see several good things here! The Trout looks mas yummy!

The wood chips are a major score for sure! I was able to haul 48yds this winter, really nice old semi composted stuff. Do you have a chipper to shred them down? If so they once broken down into smaller pieces they will pretty much break down completely over the winter. I add them between the rows after I plant in the spring and till them in after harvest, then plant rye on top for 2 cover crops.

Plants look great!

Your garden will rock as usual this season ;)

Pepper-Guru said:
Thanks. Father in Law caught them at our camping place near blue ridge. Stuffed them with orange Thai peppers, lemongrass, cilantro, lime and then seared them over oak in a type of homemade adobo sauce. Closed it all up and let the smoke do the rest.
Also, you know what Spring time trout mean! it's dank tank time with the leftovers and runts!
Oh yeah!!! Dank Tank!

Nothing but jaws from what I remember. Your plants are going to be jonesing, as soon as they get that taste. LoL

Can't wait!

Season is going good. Off to a late start. The hot weather is around the corner. I'm thinking shade cloth. I'll still get what I wanted out of it. Might try to do some crossing. Next year will be epic, for me anyway. LoL

Devv said:
I see several good things here! The Trout looks mas yummy!

The wood chips are a major score for sure! I was able to haul 48yds this winter, really nice old semi composted stuff. Do you have a chipper to shred them down? If so they once broken down into smaller pieces they will pretty much break down completely over the winter. I add them between the rows after I plant in the spring and till them in after harvest, then plant rye on top for 2 cover crops.

Plants look great!

Your garden will rock as usual this season ;)
I don't have a shredder, but the trick to speed of process is definitely shredding, N to Carbon ratios, moisture and then adding carbs. My mower and bagger work wonderfully, come to find out. I just mow twice as much grass as I do leaves and small twigs. Get's the pile to 140F real quick, like within minutes. Its pretty amazing. The smell is AWESOME. Like the perfect humic forest floor smell. I'm just over the 14 day mark on this pile I think, but It will be very quick going from grass and leaves to soil in under a month, I project. I'm turning and wetting the pile every 7 days. If I had a tiller, I'd be using that. 

OCD Chilehead said:
Oh yeah!!! Dank Tank!

Nothing but jaws from what I remember. Your plants are going to be jonesing, as soon as they get that taste. LoL

Can't wait!

Season is going good. Off to a late start. The hot weather is around the corner. I'm thinking shade cloth. I'll still get what I wanted out of it. Might try to do some crossing. Next year will be epic, for me anyway. LoL

You know what time it is! 

Scored 13 lbs of this yesterday:

26742940723_9562d84150_b.jpg

13 lbs of Salmon, Cats and Drum fish chunks, going into 55 gallons of rain water and molasses.

This part of the hood is about to get stinky :)

Well, the seedlings have been out in full strength GA sun for two days and haven't skipped a beat. Good morning THP!

27278595761_b38a94de4c_b.jpg

Look at the branching going on here:

27251649882_a341e43ee3_b.jpg

Growdown Peruvian Serlano, well on its way to being the tallest, weirdest plant you've ever seen. Hopefully! 

27251650832_289a4d8031_b.jpg

As you all know by now, I'm not big on pruning plants. Normally, I just let them pump out the growth and the pods as they see fit. With this plant however, I will be implementing a very focused pruning regimen. Planning on letting this one grow in 85 gallons of compost and other goodies. Train it up the gutter downspout on the back patio :)

Pepper-Guru said:
I don't have a shredder, but the trick to speed of process is definitely shredding, N to Carbon ratios, moisture and then adding carbs. My mower and bagger work wonderfully, come to find out. I just mow twice as much grass as I do leaves and small twigs. Get's the pile to 140F real quick, like within minutes. Its pretty amazing. The smell is AWESOME. Like the perfect humic forest floor smell. I'm just over the 14 day mark on this pile I think, but It will be very quick going from grass and leaves to soil in under a month, I project. I'm turning and wetting the pile every 7 days. If I had a tiller, I'd be using that. 

Now a bagger for the mower would be really cool, all that green going to waste at my place. Something on the horizon for sure.

13 lbs of Salmon, Cats and Drum fish chunks, going into 55 gallons of rain water and molasses.

This part of the hood is about to get stinky :)
 I love it!

Just read the whole Guru Glog. Thanks for the great info!
couple of questions
1. Post 583 you described your cold no salt mash...sounded like you just stuck only peppers in a jar in the dark for a couple of months and then added hot vinegar/salt pinch? could you photo document your process?

2. could you link or photo doc how you sew your grow bags and what you made them out of?

Back