• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Guru's Garden - Traveling the World in Search of Peppers

Just starting this glog now so it's one less thing to do in a few months when I'm knee deep in compost and getting things in the ground.

Not much to report at the moment. Strains yet to be determined, but I'll probably end up growing too many like always...lol

Only thing that's going on right now is a clean back patio and the chickens doing their part turning over my compost pile on the daily. Intersted in seeing how the soil microbes appreciate the added chicken poop!

12160459874_edc8a4473f_b.jpg

12160725676_2031da1016_b.jpg

Hope everyone has had a decent winter so far and here's to happy germination!

12161422126_10d10e2e41_z.jpg

EDIT UPDATE: This glog has turned into an ongoing overwintering, greenhouse and soil building how-to!

Thanks for all the good info! 

Pepper-Guru said:
It's a wonderful resource! A bit over the top with specific details for the average gardener though. There are really two main things the average Gardner can take away from his second book; The barrel stave analogy regarding the rule of minumums for nutrients, and the fact that everyone should have a soil test done to KNOW what your soil is doing.
Interesting read for sure, but agreed 100%.  Bring on the pods!

Gonna keep her in the DWC for a bit until I muster up the motivation to transplant into some soil. For now, she's plugged back in and the O2 is flowing. Gonna stop by the hydro shop tomorrow for some go juice :)

I've never seen anyone get so many flowers to go full term on these varieties. RPM55 must have been doing something right! I shall make him proud. 

29038382080_22d5e480f8_b.jpg

29217764912_56b4acf72b_b.jpg

28703057594_3ab48ac578_b.jpg

OCD Chilehead said:
Looking good. That plant is huge. Nice score on the Manzano.
Thanks. These peppers are awesome. Perfect for getting the kids into chinense! 

Jase4224 said:
Those Serlanos look awesome! Amazing plant too. C.Chinense right?

Yep! 
PaulG said:
Hey PG!  Just stopped in to see what an awesome grow looks like!

Hope the season winds down well for you.

Thanks brother! Hope this ga weather continues like this, sans the freak early frost. I want to get another harvest or two out of the garden plot before I contemplate chopping and bringing them indoors. 

Pepper-Guru said:
A month ago, she was gradually yellowing day by day.  I did a big trim and changed the water out. Used rain water @6.4 ph and added some organic goodies in the solution. 

30279645255_c28351f814_b.jpg

Today, a little less than a month later, she is going nuts again  :)

30279663515_69017a28b8_b.jpg

30163921092_2466244b09_b.jpg

Happy New Year! 2017

Here we go folks. 

Since, I'm hosting the 2017 Lemon Drop Growdown and we started on January 1st, I figured I would take the opportunity to get an earlier start on things this year. Lately, I've needed all the help I can get! Not enough time in the day to get everything done anymore. Gardens have been a bit of an afterthought lately. Between running a family, business, and other projects, I'm just glad I can rely on "muscle memory" to help me skate by on the garden side of things these past few years. Once you've done the dance a thousand times, you digest it, it becomes you. It's a lot like writing music and performing on stage. Things sometimes play themselves. Ha

I'd like to say that "this year, I'm only going to focus on the garden," but I know it will be business as usual. Struggling to find the time to get everything done during the day and still forgetting a handful of stuff anyway. 

Either way, I have a few tricks up my sleeve this year. Upgrades rather, to the garden space. 

I'll be adding a shade cloth over the space, for one. It just gets too damn intense up there on the hill. Direct Sun for 8+ hours a day isn't easily dealt with by some of these varieties! I mean, you gotta think. I've found some of these varieties in extremely opposing climates from around the world! From the coolest arid mountain side with only a few hours of sun a day, to the most tropical rain forests on earth. SO...I must adapt my approach.

More importantly, something hasn't been quite right with my soil in the plot. It's been good but not "right". When digging up my overwinters, I even found some of the plants had major nematode root nodules. So I'll be raking back wood chips and planting some type of fast growing, cool season cover crop to fix stuff. Will likely till the cover crop in just before planting out into it. There are a good handful of readily available crops to choose from: Wheat, Clover, Vetch, Rye, Lupine, other winter legumes... Rye or wheat is probably the cheapest around here at feed stores. I will have to see what my options are. 

Also, would really love to land some nice trout this spring for the dank tank. 

Seeds start hitting soil today:

31962526841_4413a405ef_b.jpg

32082123815_6b8bdaf006_b.jpg

Stay tuned! 

I'll post back shortly on my grow list and some new stuff I got in Sri Lanka!~ 

Back