• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Guru's Garden - Traveling the World in Search of Peppers

Just starting this glog now so it's one less thing to do in a few months when I'm knee deep in compost and getting things in the ground.

Not much to report at the moment. Strains yet to be determined, but I'll probably end up growing too many like always...lol

Only thing that's going on right now is a clean back patio and the chickens doing their part turning over my compost pile on the daily. Intersted in seeing how the soil microbes appreciate the added chicken poop!

12160459874_edc8a4473f_b.jpg

12160725676_2031da1016_b.jpg

Hope everyone has had a decent winter so far and here's to happy germination!

12161422126_10d10e2e41_z.jpg

EDIT UPDATE: This glog has turned into an ongoing overwintering, greenhouse and soil building how-to!

Mr.joe said:
Good deal, it seems like great adventure exploring new areas in search of fruit. Glass you were successful already

PaulG said:
You are living the dream, Rich
Skunked again today but had an awesome time. Hiked into some clouds and ancient ferns. No capsicum but plenty of other stuff to look at! Tomorrow some waterfalls and rivers...

Even If I don't find anything else, I feel its been a great trip already and I'm only 3 days in.

Second wild of the trip. Half of the plant was standing and half was laying on the ground in the road. Tiny chacoense sized baccatum flowers, no pubescence, tiny red fruit.

49207579928_50757c1914_b.jpg

49208330797_9e61fb5853_b.jpg

49207547113_4aff01aeb5_b.jpg

49207562193_294a4df5b8_b.jpg

49208238372_ed8c84707e_b.jpg

I've done every major hike in the area, choosing different microclimates/geography/altitudes for each one. I have hiked over 40 miles this week and not once did I find a "wild" in... the wild...plenty of solanum, just no capsicum.

Every time I've found capsicum, its been on the side of the road near a small village and farm land. Makes me rethink the term "wild capsicum" 

Video Incoming...waiting for slow upload speeds of Boliva

Pepper-Guru said:
Third wild find of my Bolivia trip. Was invited by a new friend to walk his property and look around. This one was growing out from a rock wall garden. Apparently the gardener had found it growing there and let it live. 

How cool to just find a wild growing in
your rock wall and decide to let it grow!

Looks like another bacattum? Not a very
toothy calyx.

Did you collect seeds for the C. Eshbaughii? Feels like a Christmas calendar, whit the chance of discovering new species every time I open up the glog :D 

Mildfruit said:
Did you collect seeds for the C. Eshbaughii? Feels like a Christmas calendar, whit the chance of discovering new species every time I open up the glog :D
Unfortunately, I was warned that someone in my private facebook group was potentially going to cause issues for me in customs, so this time I didn't pass through with any materials...but ... someone in Bolivia is cultivating them all now... :) 

Pepper-Guru said:
Unfortunately, I was warned that someone in my private facebook group was potentially going to cause issues for me in customs, so this time I didn't pass through with any materials...but ... someone in Bolivia is cultivating them all now... :)

Frikkin' people. Hey Rich, I got no life, no purpose or direction, and I'm extremely envious of yours. So I'll do what I can to make you as miserable as I am... :mope:

Enough to make you wanna go to another country....oh, uh...nevermind....

PaulG said:
Who the heck would do something like that?

FB seems to attract a lot of pervs.

Some botanists that consider it taboo. In some way they feel the endemic heritage is being exploited or endangered somehow. I'm told they all do it but never speak of it. 

Mr.joe said:
So now the question remains. did you get thru customs without issue?

No issues. A bit of a weird grilling in the states but all went smoothly. 

stettoman said:

Frikkin' people. Hey Rich, I got no life, no purpose or direction, and I'm extremely envious of yours. So I'll do what I can to make you as miserable as I am... :mope:

Enough to make you wanna go to another country....oh, uh...nevermind....

For me, in my opinion, it is a matter of principle. I'd be a hard sell on the idea that producing more of a species in anyway further endangers it. There are arguments for certain species being invasive, but I don't see the US (or any region above the frost line) being over taken by C Eshbaughii any time soon...haha

I was essentially told to be discreet, and while at first I have many reservations about that, I can also see how it is very good advice. Small hints here and there about perhaps not reporting on an adventure until you get back etc. Naturally this stuff still excites me even after 20 years and my first instinct is to phone home as soon as possible. Next time I may wait a bit. It's just my passion and I like sharing, but I can see how myself and others may not see eye to eye and not everyone is above live and let live. Gotta look out for myself. As silly as it seems. This is like a nerdy thing and here we are afraid to cross the border with some darn seeds, not because you really care about customs, but because someone may have some weird vendetta out for you. It get's a little over dramatic it seems. 

What a dick move by the alleged whistle blower. I guess someone likes to think they always know better than you.

Pepper-Guru said:

Just a little opinionlette re: worldwide propagation...Just how do your botanist "friends" think that all these wonderful species of pepper spread about the globe, considering that the consensus is that pepper #1 originated in the jungles of South America? On the flippin' tropical breeze? Or perhaps in the monkeyskin fannypack of a Samoan or Indonesian tourist paddling a reed canoe 500 years ago...Or in the belly of some seafaring frigate bird, which BTW, is just as "endangering endemic heritage" as anything else.

We in Minnesotakstan have a state gub'mint agency we lovingly (and jokingly) refer to as The MN Department of Natural Resources, a bunch of bean counters totally unrelated to the game wardens of the past, who were actual stewards of our natural treasures...They discovered an influx of invasive zebra mussels, which lay waste to aquatic environments by over-reproducing lakes and such to death. Our benevolent DNR reacts by restricting HUMAN activities and in inflicting rules and regs that actually turn tourists and enthusiasts away instead of attracting them (and their valuable tax revenue) to the state. Meanwhile, and mysteriously the zebra mussels (and weeds like milfoil) continue to propagate freely, destroying fisheries and killing lakes. Never once do these high-falutin' super-edjumacated paragons of the advanced technologies (and brandy-new boats & big Dodge Rams to tow them) ever discuss the uncontrollable: turtles and crustaceans and other critters like BIRDS that have a tendency to migrate at will from lake to lake, creek to creek, rive to lake, etc., carrying riders...

My point? Simple: Arrogant intellect is the epitome of ignorance (you may quote me)...

OK, done wasting everybody's time, just needed to 'bloviate a bit...

Back