• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Guru's Glog 2012

Is it that time again already? Feels like yesterday I was picking final harvests, disonnecting drip lines out in the garden and digging up pepper plants for the winter. Where does the time go?

Anyhow, I see people are already in full swing here on THP. What a lovely site. I'll be the first to admit, I'm running a little late this year, but I have an excuse I'm prepared to live with....

7114685757_d5b074d6e4_c.jpg

7114685603_0acb6dcd4c_z.jpg

6968607380_a4a7756a49_z.jpg

7114686617_7b5269c7f7_c.jpg

:P I needed a vacation! Well that, and a good friend of mine asked if I wanted to open up a restaurant in Thailand. Who says no to that? Not I.

We had a great time. Its paradise, and very cheap. Above all, as a chili head, Thai food is a gift from God himself. I ate better and fresher food than you could ever get in the US, for pennies a meal. The trip was awesome. I think Im even suffering from seperation anxiety...lol I couldn't even begin to go into all the things that happened on this trip, without this starting to sound like more of a blog than a GLOG, so I'll spare you guys for now.

Anyway, down to business. Before I left, I started a 72 cell super hot tray and pulled the mothers from last year outside.

7000565561_e6ea3f306c.jpg

6853788736_d8471419a5.jpg

6953290335_44f7660374.jpg

The lady bugs went to work on the mothers, and I felt confident that Mrs. Guru could take care of the germination while I was away.

6854454322_62e0e740d0.jpg

Now, I'd be lying if I said I never worried for a second while I was away. I had already started my seeds a week or two later than usual and now I was going to be gone while they were supposed to be "born"....lol but I knew the better option for my sanity was to let go, remember I was on vacation and not think about the seeds. Im glad I did, because the ole lady did ok! :P

I got back, germ rates were near 100% and it was on to potting up!

7114682885_8d4046f56a.jpg

Quick make shift shade house for the tender seedlings after a transplant and a break in the clouds.

6968607084_b90b8da498.jpg

Yes! I pretty much decided on the venturi injector technique, Now I just gotta find out why they do the whole bypass section with valves for larger pvc systems. Guess Im just gonna re route my water main out towards the garden and make a small shelter for the system head. Any plumbers on THP?

Yes! I pretty much decided on the venturi injector technique, Now I just gotta find out why they do the whole bypass section with valves for larger pvc systems. Guess Im just gonna re route my water main out towards the garden and make a small shelter for the system head. Any plumbers on THP?

Venturi Injectors are probably the best way to go. I bought a siphon injector this year... its crap. Then I bought a EZ-Flo injector and I am fairly happy with it. I am not convinced it works as advertised yet but my plants seem happy enough. The EZ-Flo is fertigating about the same amount of space you have there, Guru so keep it in mind as a low cost option. So far I have been using it to push fish ferts, manure tea and myko.

Oh, and it was super easy to plumb into my system.

peppers are looking great man! cant wait to watch how big those monsters get! i am finding out organic is AWESOME! LOL any suggestiong on what to amend my little backyard garden section? its 10'X15' fast draining dirt

Will be interested to see what you come up with for an injector system.
I have a small drip system, and have thought about automating the
fertilizing. Sure would save a lot of work!

peppers are looking great man! cant wait to watch how big those monsters get! i am finding out organic is AWESOME! LOL any suggestiong on what to amend my little backyard garden section? its 10'X15' fast draining dirt
Well...its hard to say. Whats your soil comprised of? PH? Nutrient content? Do a simple soil test to find out. You say it drains very well so thats a great start! You cant go wrong with hardwood mulch and leaves, thats for sure.
Will be interested to see what you come up with for an injector system.
I have a small drip system, and have thought about automating the
fertilizing. Sure would save a lot of work!

Yeah, probably gonna go venturi. My system has two 1/2 inch mains in the front and back that the drip lines come off of, so I push it from both ends to get a nice even distribution. Ill slam an injector tank on both mains and call it a day for now (this season).

I think you have inspired THP to go Green!
I love reading these posts, as I get more info here than anywhere else on THP. keep it up, and good luck with that irrigation setup.

I tried to get in on that Xtreme Gardening Facebook action, but I got there after the masses. I seem to be growing 3-4 shrooms per pot every night. Do you think Supplemental Mycos will make much difference if I am already producing Fungi that bare mushrooms? Or is it a more specific type of fungi that I am looking for? Does it have to be Mycorrhizae?

I'm doing good, waiting for the rest of the house to wake up so I can get some work done. Gotta repot a few dozen plants this morning and maybe drag the plants to a shadier spot in the yard. How are you doing today, Pepper-Guru?

Guru,

So, do you find that watering with modelo is beneficial as nutrient supplement, or solely a flavor enhancer........ ;)

Lookin tight man! The "haze" in the background, I can only assume is the relative humidity getting rocked by the southern sun, dammit I miss the south. Good Vibes and Happy Growing!

I think you have inspired THP to go Green! I love reading these posts, as I get more info here than anywhere else on THP. keep it up, and good luck with that irrigation setup. I tried to get in on that Xtreme Gardening Facebook action, but I got there after the masses. I seem to be growing 3-4 shrooms per pot every night. Do you think Supplemental Mycos will make much difference if I am already producing Fungi that bare mushrooms? Or is it a more specific type of fungi that I am looking for? Does it have to be Mycorrhizae?
Well, the shrooms just indicate you've got a decent food web occurring. Mychorizae is really strain specific. To find the right one you gotta experiment a bit.
I'm doing good, waiting for the rest of the house to wake up so I can get some work done. Gotta repot a few dozen plants this morning and maybe drag the plants to a shadier spot in the yard. How are you doing today, Pepper-Guru?
Lol. Things start early here! Between getting the kids ready for school and cleaning up for Seth tomorrow, we got a busy day today!
Guru, So, do you find that watering with modelo is beneficial as nutrient supplement, or solely a flavor enhancer........ ;) Lookin tight man! The "haze" in the background, I can only assume is the relative humidity getting rocked by the southern sun, dammit I miss the south. Good Vibes and Happy Growing!
I find they prefer IPA when watered :)

They sell a tank bigger than 5 gallon? I could run two I guess.

I am actually using a smaller system from EZ-Flo. I have to fill it more often that I would like, but on the plus side, I never have to be concerned about over-fertilizing since the tank runs out well before it could do any damage.

Also, I should note that my soil was darn good to begin with so I am not adding as much fertilizer as you may be adding.

I knew I liked you when I saw the Negra Modelo!
My favorite brew next to San Miguel Dark which
I haven't been able to find for years. A perfect
compliment to the Brain!

Lookin' good, PG.

Sometimes, but I just lay a plate or lid over top. Never airtight. Never noticed a difference either way as long as your brew environment isnt too well lit. I think the microbes like it dark, like under ground.

Well, the container plants on the patio got the entire ten gallons of tea today. Fatalii is ELECTRIC right now. All leaves standing at full attention!

Back