• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Guru's Glog 2012

Is it that time again already? Feels like yesterday I was picking final harvests, disonnecting drip lines out in the garden and digging up pepper plants for the winter. Where does the time go?

Anyhow, I see people are already in full swing here on THP. What a lovely site. I'll be the first to admit, I'm running a little late this year, but I have an excuse I'm prepared to live with....

7114685757_d5b074d6e4_c.jpg

7114685603_0acb6dcd4c_z.jpg

6968607380_a4a7756a49_z.jpg

7114686617_7b5269c7f7_c.jpg

:P I needed a vacation! Well that, and a good friend of mine asked if I wanted to open up a restaurant in Thailand. Who says no to that? Not I.

We had a great time. Its paradise, and very cheap. Above all, as a chili head, Thai food is a gift from God himself. I ate better and fresher food than you could ever get in the US, for pennies a meal. The trip was awesome. I think Im even suffering from seperation anxiety...lol I couldn't even begin to go into all the things that happened on this trip, without this starting to sound like more of a blog than a GLOG, so I'll spare you guys for now.

Anyway, down to business. Before I left, I started a 72 cell super hot tray and pulled the mothers from last year outside.

7000565561_e6ea3f306c.jpg

6853788736_d8471419a5.jpg

6953290335_44f7660374.jpg

The lady bugs went to work on the mothers, and I felt confident that Mrs. Guru could take care of the germination while I was away.

6854454322_62e0e740d0.jpg

Now, I'd be lying if I said I never worried for a second while I was away. I had already started my seeds a week or two later than usual and now I was going to be gone while they were supposed to be "born"....lol but I knew the better option for my sanity was to let go, remember I was on vacation and not think about the seeds. Im glad I did, because the ole lady did ok! :P

I got back, germ rates were near 100% and it was on to potting up!

7114682885_8d4046f56a.jpg

Quick make shift shade house for the tender seedlings after a transplant and a break in the clouds.

6968607084_b90b8da498.jpg

Hey guru got question...i watered my whole garden of worm tea last night and I woke this morning some half of my container plants grew mushrooms?is that bad or just leave them alone?they die out in the heat of the ssun

leavE em...they wouldn't hurt a microbe :) They are just a big sign that you're doing things right.

Cool...i copycat your tea...but I use the belly of the salmon and put 2tbsp mykos and the rest is liquid kelp amd humic acid...and I put like a towel as my lid but not cover all the way..next day the froth is all the way to the top of the container

Man! Don't clean up on my account! Lol. I have a dog and a three year old. Nothing phases me. Hahaha
Its cool man! I needed to do the final touches on the garden anyway. Run hoses, consolidate seedlings, stuff like that around outside. Ran some seabird through the drip system the other day. Fixed my ph and soil all in one shot! Transplants' new growth looking better now. Things are going to be ok out there! Ill see you in the am dude!

Its cool man! I needed to do the final touches on the garden anyway. Run hoses, consolidate seedlings, stuff like that around outside. Ran some seabird through the drip system the other day. Fixed my ph and soil all in one shot! Transplants' new growth looking better now. Things are going to be ok out there! Ill see you in the am dude!
That awesome that it was a quick fix. Plants look amazing can not wait to see how they are in 12 days.

Keep on working with that red clay halo brother. We made it back and the spur is in its new home. Thanks again. I've got some pics when I get around to it - hopefully tomorrow. For now, it's catch up with weeds time.

Yes sir! Have fun with the weeds...talk about a natural head shrink. Everytime I pull weeds I end up going through a self analyzing epiphany of my own character! Lol maybe that's why I bought all this damn ground cover...lol . anyway! Keep me posted on that rooster spur and let me know how she's doing in that PA soil :) She's an early girl so it won't be long.
Mmmmmmm trout beer...lol
7287381462_ea05382b00.jpg

Wicca wants some trout beer! Mrs Brain...
7298661038_7f69e809a6.jpg

Mrs Fatalii

7298661016_e273ddf20d.jpg

Mill, turns out the container that Mrs Brain is in is actually 80 gallon. I got slipped an extra 15 gallons somehow when I picked up my order at the hydro shop. I'll be interested in seeing the difference in her, the Trinidad Scorpion, and Mrs Fatalii in terms of 65 vs 80. As well as first year vs 7 year mother.

Jamison, I'll tell her you said so! She's always looking to swing. Its weird. ;)

Lookin Prime,

I love the growth when you bring a plant back into the zone after dormancy,....its so....satisfying. Every year with my brugmansias, it makes my face melt......with smiles. Looking forward to the latter part of the season in your glog guru.

those are some huge ass smart pots....how many cf of soil u use to fill up one container?
Yeah nice and big. Bigger the roots, the bigger the shoots. Technically 65 gallons works out to be abour 8.5 cu ft of soil. Is that whats in there ? Hell no...lol When you consider compression and things like soil makeup, you end up not reaching that perfect conversion. Different soil porosities, varying sizes of small objects like composting materials, amount of aerators like perlite/verm, sand content, clay content, peat...etc I never really measure my mixes, and all that ever stays the same is the ratio of aerator I use. Aprox 20% Keep your medium breathing and you can get creative with content. I may not even use a half a bale of peat in one of those
Lookin Prime,

I love the growth when you bring a plant back into the zone after dormancy,....its so....satisfying. Every year with my brugmansias, it makes my face melt......with smiles. Looking forward to the latter part of the season in your glog guru.

Thanks Tweax. I love face melt moments in the garden. I imagine Ill be picking or strolling in and about my garden as the end of the world looms in the distance. And yeah, pods are about to be upon us soon my friend, very soon. Later part of this season is gonna be sweet.

Back