Hello from San Rafael, California

I just found this site yesterday and spent a good while reading posts. There's definitely a lot of great info here, and a lot of people excited about some of the same things I'm excited about regarding hot peppers and hot sauce.

I recently "got into" hot sauces by virtue of some lunch time discussion at work, the purchasing of a Naga Morich pepper plant from Hirt's Gardens, and the subsequent research I've been doing on peppers, sauce, and capsaicin in general.

I've also started collecting hot sauces (not to keep, but to eat) and have about a dozen bottles on my desk here at work.

Like any good geek, I've started maintaining a spreadsheet and rating sauces as I go.
Code:
Sauce                                     SHU  Heat  Taste  Overall        
Dave’s Cool Cayenne                      2000    2     3     2        crappy
Dave’s Roasted Garlic                    2000    2     3     2        crappy
Dave’s Hurtin’ Jalapeno                  2000    2     3     2        crappy
Pain is Good Batch #114 Jamaican         3000    4     8     6        great smoky and jerk flavor
Miss Anna's Hot Pepper Sauce             5000    6     4     4        curry taste is overpowering
Melinda’s Habanero                       5000    3     7     6        salty and tasty
Bone Sucking Hiccuping Hot               8000    4     8     7        great bbq sauce flavor
Gator Hammock Hot Gator Sauce          10,000                    
El Yucateco XXXtra Hot Chile Habanero  11,600    5     8     8        big habanero flavor
Zulu Zulu Xtra Hot Hot Sauce           20,000                    
Blair's Original Death Sauce           25,000                    
Lottie's Traditional Barbados Yellow   40,000    5     8     8        mustardy and delicious
Blair’s After Death                    50,000    6     3     4        metallic taste
Dave’s Insanity Sauce                 180,000    7     5     5        tastes great for 3 seconds
Marie Sharp's Belizean Heat           350,000    7     7     7        tomato-y
Mad Dog 357 Hot Sauce                 357,000                    
Melinda's Red Savina Hot Sauce        577,000                    
CaJohn's Jolokia 10                   600,000    8     3     6        thick and pulpy, bland but good heat
The Hottest Fuckin' Sauce             600,000    8     3     4        a novelty
Wanza's Wicked Temptation           2,000,000                    
Peppahead's Chili Loco                      ?    4     7     6        too "jerk" for mexican, marinade?
Peppahead's Devil's Dew                     ?    6     7     8        great on taco salad

Let me know if you have any corrections or comments!

Welcome from Fort Worth

Welcome!! I was born and raised in the Easy Bay. Lived there up until about 2 years ago!!!! Welcome to the hottest place on the planet!:hell:

Wow! That's quite a welcome wagon you roll out around here.

I basically cross-posted in the sauce forum thinking that no one would see me over here and I wouldn't get much response. :-}

Thanks for all the kind words!

scarpetti said:
Welcome from Oakland, CA. We're almost neighbors! What's Hirts Gardens?

Hirt's Gardens is a nursery I found online (via eBay) that sells pepper plant starters. I hadn't yet discovered Cross Country Nurseries, which seems to have a much larger selection of super hots.

I wasn't keen on trying the seed thing, being ill-equipped and since my pepper growing hobby is in its infancy (and all conducted at work.)

Oakland, huh? Know any good hot sauce specialty shops in the area? I can't seem to find any good sauces around here.

Smariotti, I have lived in this city for 20 years and still haven't found any hot sauce specialty shops. That's why I grow my own.

RazorBack, which practice space was it? And what band? I used to be in Attitude Adjustment and all the band's that turned into throughout the years.

Back