• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

HillBilly Jeff's 2014 Adventure - Happy Thanksgiving Everyone!!!

HillBilly Jeff said:

Just throwing this up here to plan out my list for next year.  Looking at some changes to my grow next year.

Bodeen said:
Just throwing this up here to plan out my list for next year.  Looking at some changes to my grow next year.

randyp said:
Are you using fruit wood?

I used hickory this time and the smoke flavor almost overruns the sweet beginning of this sauce. Fruit wood is the better choice and what I will use going forward.

PIC 1 said:
That's a harvest !!!
Sharpen your knife cause you're going to be doing a lot of chopping..

Lots of cutting in half just for drying too. I always look inside my pods just to be sure there is no gunk. I can usually tell by the outside of the pod, but sometimes they surprise you.

beerbreath81 said:
Jeff,

That sauce looks killer, I have been wanting to do a smoked bhut sauce for sometime, would you care to share your recipe or at least some ing. used in the sauce?
Sorry for the delay. Jigsaws and some jimmy nardello pods. A little bit of malt vinegar, onion, garlic, sea salt, and other spices

Big Sun Habanero.  Nice light fruity aroma.  Meaty and pleasant tasting with little heat.  Then I swallowed.  Lump of hot coal in my throat.  That left pretty quick but moved under my tongue and to my lips.  Definitely a garden selection for next season.

10616335_10202936219516550_8791840718609770670_n.jpg

1463905_10202936219236543_823496514143598495_n.jpg

Feeling a little stuffed up, so I made up some ramen noodles and thought why not dice up that manzano and throw in there.  Hotter than I realized them to be.  My lips are hot from my nose to my chin.  Not a bad hot, but I sure can tell I munched some hot peppers.  Really wasn't expecting that.

Devv said:
Wow Jeff!

Just a killer harvest there! I'm super glad that the garden has come in so well for you. Hard work does pay off ;)

I always love stuffed peppers, ours have an Italian base to them with a bit of rice added.

Enjoy the rest of the week!
Italian dressing or seasoning? Either way it sounds awesome and a must try next time around.

What variety of okra is that?  I've been trying to grow Jing Orange and Burgundy, along with Stelley, Silver Queen, and Clemson, though the critters have thwarted me so far this year.  Does yours keep its color when cooked or does it turn green?

Sawyer said:
What variety of okra is that?  I've been trying to grow Jing Orange and Burgundy, along with Stelley, Silver Queen, and Clemson, though the critters have thwarted me so far this year.  Does yours keep its color when cooked or does it turn green?

Burgundy is all I know right now.  I will have to dig out the invoice to let you know for sure.  I believe it came from Fields.

Harvested a short row of carrots out of the front garden and got over 18 pounds.  Going to plant more rows next year for sure.

10574317_10202940490183314_5844052544352928267_n.jpg

Nice haul on the carrots Jeff! They keep forever.

PIC 1 said:

probably a red sauce and herbs

You hit that on the head. I have the recipe at work and will do my best to remember to get it.

Basically it's homemade chopped meat (brisket and venison 50-50 mix), the peppers are packed with the meat and rice and some parmesan cheese. We use one bell and the rest are poblano. The red sauce is not spaghetti sauce, it's made just for stuffing peppers. I'm getting hungry :D

Many thanks go out to Greg for this lovely box of goodies he sent my way.  Some stickers fell off, but I think I got them named correctly.

10385392_10202940888993284_7701755781242797326_n.jpg

10457799_10202940888673276_5728669258520686977_n.jpg

Top row left to right Guatemalan Yellow, Bombay Morich, Orange Blob, Hand Grenade

Bottom Row left to right Indian Carb, MoA. Fatalii, USC Brown

Nice carrot haul and pepper score.  Short of packing them in damp sand or sawdust in a root cellar, what is the best way to store carrots long term?  I've had some store-bought ones in my fridge in the original plastic bag that have been keeping forever, though they have developed a lot of hairy roots.  They may be treated with something, though.

Now that I've removed the groundhog, my carrots have started growing again.  I guess I'll leave most of them in the ground over winter, with hopes of harvesting seed from the rarer varieties in the spring.

Sawyer said:
Nice carrot haul and pepper score.  Short of packing them in damp sand or sawdust in a root cellar, what is the best way to store carrots long term?  I've had some store-bought ones in my fridge in the original plastic bag that have been keeping forever, though they have developed a lot of hairy roots.  They may be treated with something, though.

Now that I've removed the groundhog, my carrots have started growing again.  I guess I'll leave most of them in the ground over winter, with hopes of harvesting seed from the rarer varieties in the spring.

I just can them in pint jars and add them to the stash in the pantry.  I am sure they would last a long time in a root cellar or in some of those green bags in the fridge.

Here's the stuffed pepper recipe, I actually remembered....imagine that ;) :

4 cans whole tomatoes 28 oz.
8 Peppers 2 Bell and 6 Pablano
¾ cup Italian Seasoned Bread Crumbs
¾ cup Grated Parmesan Cheese
2 Eggs
1.5 – 2 lbs. chop meat
Salt and Pepper (liberal sprinkling)
Italian Seasonings (use to taste)
½ cup Long Grained Rice (I use white)
Instant Rice (How much you may need depending on how many people you are feeding)

Cut the tops off of the peppers, deseed and rinse

Add the chop meat, eggs, parmesan cheese, bread crumbs, Long Grain Rice salt and pepper mix until thoroughly mixed. Stuff peppers with mixture and left over make meatballs. Place in a 8 quart pot.

Open cans of tomatoes process in blender until well blended. Add to 8 quart pot.
Mix all together, add Italian Seasonings, salt and pepper mix again. Simmer on low for three hours or until done.
Make instant rice, serve peppers and meat over rice cover with the tomato sauce.

If you would like you can top with more Parmesan Cheese or Shredded Mozzarella or both. Romano cheese is great too!

Oh it is!

I'm half Italian, half German. Don't eat any German dishes to speak of, but the Italian food is an addiction!

http://www.devtex.net/recipe.html

Make the sauce Jeff, and let it cook for 12-15 hours with garden tom's. There will be no going back ;)

Had chicken cutlet Parmesan for lunch yesterday, we buy the boneless chicken breasts, cut them a half thickness. Run them through a meat tenderizer like this one:

http://www.amazon.com/MR-TENDERIZER-Mister-Tenderizer/dp/B00CQVL3KW  

Dip them in egg, and then bread them with Italian bread crumbs.

Fry them until golden brown. Set them on a plate with paper towel to absorb the grease.

Then place in a pan and just cover with the sauce. Cook in the oven until the sauce bubbles some, then place Mozzarella slices on top and cook until melted.

Then there's the meatball heros, and all the other goodies one can make from the base sauce recipe.

Back