food HOT dogs

A slaw dog is awesome. Think of it as a fresh sauerkraut, but goes better with grilled dogs/BBQ. Sauerkraut goes better with a pan fried or boiled dog. IMO. The grilled flavor and slaw... awesome. You can even put pulled pork or burnt ends chili on top, then slaw. ;)

We had some hot dogs yesterday so I took a couple quick pics for this thread. I sliced the dogs down the middle and cooked them in a cast iron pan. The one on the left just has yellow mustard, ketchup, jalapenos, and pepper powder. The one on the right has dijon mustard, peperoncini, homemade sauerkraut, and pepper powder.

050_zpsa82616db.jpg

I chose to buy these franks which are made here in Lodi, CA.

052_zps0ec555aa.jpg

sicman said:
i thought slaw dogs had to be deep fried?  

maybe just a tennessee thing.

Deep fried with slaw = win too, But no, never heard that term applied to deep fried only.

nate6279 said:
 We had some hot dogs yesterday so I took a couple quick pics for this thread. I sliced the dogs down the middle and cooked them in a cast iron pan. The one on the left just has yellow mustard, ketchup, jalapenos, and pepper powder. The one on the right has dijon mustard, peperoncini, homemade sauerkraut, and pepper powder.

050_zpsa82616db.jpg

I chose to buy these franks which are made here in Lodi, CA.

052_zps0ec555aa.jpg
I have never tried a millers. How do they compare to a caspers or hebrew national ?

SavinaRed said:
I have never tried a millers. How do they compare to a caspers or hebrew national ?

I don't eat hot dogs but mrs. blues does.

And she makes me do all the food shopping.

If I were to bring home any 'thang other than a Hebrew Nat I'd be served up with divorce papers on the spot.

The Hot Pepper said:
Hebrew Nat tastes like liquid smoke overload.

Applegate Farms makes a good organic dog.

They are what they are.

Ain't no front to me any way as I don't eat them.

If'n I did eat a dog of some sort it would most likely be a Hungarian Colbasse dog.

But I ain't seen a butcher since I was a kid that did it up right.

Yeah imo if eating a hot dog it needs a casing. The ones w/o casing are cooked in a plastic casing at the factory and a machine pops them out of the casing. So they has a bologna texture on the outside. Gotta have the snap. Like eating any good sausage. The snap, and the juices.

The Hot Pepper said:

Deep fried with slaw = win too, But no, never heard that term applied to deep fried only.
bobs is this bbq place in lavergne tn. there was one in smyrna until it burnt. anyways thats the first and only experience i have with slaw dog. they were ok but it was hard to pass up the pulled pork or brisket for a hot dog.

Ha!

Jay don't you buy the Sabrett in natural casing?

Back