food HOT dogs

As far as I know they are far from popular except with tourists. NYers know to stay away. I guess from across the river you're a tourist. :P

Good dawgs can be found at Criff Dogs and other places.

The Hot Pepper said:
"With onions?"

And they put this crap on it LOL! That's NOT onions! And it tastes like toxic waste after being in the warmer all day.
(Nothing against this brand, have no idea what's at the carts!)

sabrett_onions_in_sauce.jpg
I make that chit at home from scratch and it's the bomb. Gotta add lots of crushed red pepper. Never tried the jarred stuff.

The Hot Pepper said:
As far as I know they are far from popular except with tourists. NYers know to stay away. I guess from across the river you're a tourist. :P

Good dawgs can be found at Criff Dogs and other places.
I didn't say I buy them. Just an observation. New Yorker born and bred. Grew up on "the rock" and I am only a "tourist" now because I did not want to raise my daughter in NYC.
grantmichaels said:
But he gets the pretzels from the dude at the Lincoln Tunnel if desired ... and those rock!

That is absolutely the only thing I would buy from a cart in NYC. You wouldn't believe the lines for "street meat" at lunch time.

Yeah I think mostly tourists buy them. In fact it's kinda hard to find the old "dirty water dog" these days. The halal carts took over, and some of the hot dog carts grill them, which is much better. Have you seen the dirty water dogs around? Honestly I can't recall seeing a cart in a long time. 

Yeah ... I've spent a lot of time there in my life, family having a seat on the NYSE and all. I commuted in from NJ mostly, but they have an apt on the island and spent some of the time there, too.

I fall into the category of having driven in the city, which is a thing all itself ...

HONK! No double parking motherfuckers! HONK!

tctenten said:
You are spot on with that. But the cart infront of the building still does the dirty water dogs. If he is out there tmrw, maybe I will buy one and post a picture so everyone can see.

YESSSS! For nostalgia's sake LOL!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ISikGtEMesE

I remember when it wasn't Disney-clean, too ... the ladies of the night around Broadway, the steaming garbage piled up right outside the place you walk in to eat (boggled me coming from island life) ...

I kind of love NYC, though ...

Where I live you have to accept people in your circle who aren't always the best possible match ... in the city you can be like, I want a meetup for Outspoken ex-Debate Champions w/ Oppositional Defiance ... and then you go and there's 25 people scarily like you ... I don't know, that's kind of cool ... so many diverse people ...

Miami gives you a little bit of that, but the rest of Florida really just doesn't ...

Husker21 said:
I make that chit at home from scratch and it's the bomb. Gotta add lots of crushed red pepper. Never tried the jarred stuff.

Can you post some? Because this slime does not belong on a dawg.

dirty_water_dog.jpg

That's a classic "dirty water dog" the file was even named that lol.

There you go!

Yuck!

The Hot Pepper said:

Can you post some? Because this slime does not belong on a dawg.
Sure. We do wiener Wednesday in our house. Gimme a few days. All you really do is sauté the onions until soft and it with some canned tomatoe sauce (and sometimes some ketchup for a thicker product) and a bunch of crushed red pepper.

The Hot Pepper said:
That's a classic "dirty water dog" the file was even named that lol.

There you go!

Yuck!
Haha....NY's finest! Nice find, I am still going to buy 1 "fresh" and post the pic. Although, with this weather may have to wait til next week.

The Hot Pepper said:
Looks good! But what is Chicago-style chili?
you take the meat and mix it with water before you heat them to make a meat slurry, then i added spices and tomato paste and canned roasted diced tomatoes.  I cooked it in my slow cooker. I'm from the midwest, some people cook it this way there and some brown the meat first.  Try it out it's great topping for dogs.  Add onion too i forgot for some reason.

jedisushi06 said:
you take the meat and mix it with water before you heat them to make a meat slurry, then i added spices and tomato paste and canned roasted diced tomatoes.  I cooked it in my slow cooker. I'm from the midwest, some people cook it this way there and some brown the meat first.  Try it out it's great topping for dogs.  Add onion too i forgot for some reason.

Oh... "hot dog chili." Yeah. Regular ground beef, not the coarse grind or hand cut, and no beans. Never heard it called Chicago-style, but I getcha now. 

I've seen the water thing too. On the boob tube.

Similar to Michigan's "coney sauce." Yup, coney dogs,  Michigan, not Coney Island Brooklyn!

Back