• Do you need help identifying a šŸŒ¶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? šŸ¤§
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

hotter than naga

i just read about this bhut jolokia this morning. i also read that the red savina hasn't duplicated the findings of garcia and the red savina. http://www.fiery-foods.com/dave/sagajolokia.asp

says he claimed 577,000 SHU when most tests yield more around 250K. either way still pretty hot.

here are some other links.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/20058096/

http://spectre.nmsu.edu/dept/academic.html?i=1251#BHUT JOLOKIA IS HERE

i wonder how much it would burn your hands to dice up a few of those without gloves on.. :lol:

xgrafcorex said:
i wonder how much it would burn your hands to dice up a few of those without gloves on.. :cool:

Not nearly as much as it would to take a leak after you cut em up I can tell you that. Had my first experience with the flaming tool this morning, still not feeling very good!

POTAWIE said:
:rolleyes:I can probably list dozens or hundreds of other articles that say he discovered it too.

So maybe I shouldn't be upset with guinness just everyone else who suggests that he discovered it.

Yeah, but the people who did the testing and reporting have the correct information published on the web. What else can they do?

" couldn't the same then be said for any record relating to biggest dog, tallest person, fattest cat, heaviest pumpkin etc - that they are all occuring naturally so they don't deserve a record just for putting their hand up?

with heat there are a lot of variables, maybe he was able to tease out more heat than previous growers were able to. maybe there was some genetic instability in that variety and that is why it took five years of commitment. Dr Bosland is a very well respected chile expert so I doubt he just planted the seeds and stood by doing nothing - that is the main reason why I bought my BJ seed from NMSU and will do so every time I need new seed.

has anyone seen a copy of a Guinness certificate for the Dorset Naga? I hear claims of 1.5mil SHU's so surely the 'owners/growers/finders/originators' of that variety have the current record??? I'd like to see the proof.

and I agree with you Habman - Guinness is a great drop! "

Chilliman64,

Here is the answer you look for in Dorset Naga below
"Joy Michaud to me
show details 7/5/07 Reply

Dear Long Tran,

It is exactly the same variety. The plants we gave the BBC was from seed
saved in 2005, and the seed we are selling now was harvested in 2006
(grown from the 2005 seed).

I must warn you though. The reason we haven't made a very big deal about
the BBC measurement was that the 1.6 million SHU measurement seems too
high, and after talking to the scientist who did the test a level of 1.2
to 1.3 may be more correct. The Dorset Naga we grow has never been
measured over a million SHU (but it has got very close). However, we
never stress our plants (which supposedly increases the heat level of
the fruit) and after talking to the BBC it is likely the plants they had
were stressed a fair bit.

I have absolutely no doubt that Dorset Naga has the genetical make up
capable of of achieving amazingly extreme heat. The actual heat level
you get depends on the individual plant (when we test it we collect
fruit from over 100 plants) and on the conditions they are grown in.

So you have got the genuine seed. Seed of Dorset Naga bought anywhere
else is not real stuff.

Have fun.

Joy
"

rainforest2 said:
has anyone seen a copy of a Guinness certificate for the Dorset Naga? I hear claims of 1.5mil SHU's so surely the 'owners/growers/finders/originators' of that variety have the current record??? I'd like to see the proof.

The Dorset doesn't have the guiness record, the Bhut does.
"The Dorset Naga we grow has never been
measured over a million SHU (but it has got very close)."

with the dorset naga's 1.5 mil rating i heard the controversy is that they were supposed to give fresh pods and they gave dried pods (or the other way around), but that seems too easy to fix to be true (unless HPLC testing is really that inhibitingly expensive, we really should get a price on that) so take it with a grain of salt.
I think an extension of potawie's earlier point is that the bih jolokia was tested in india at a higher shu then the bhut dr bosland grew, so why is the record for dr boslands' findings? do we not trust indian scientists?
the bih does grow bushier and produce smaller pods then the bhut so i've never totally considered them the same (just so similar that they're taken for the same, and higly likely one's probably a landrace of the other)

Firstly..... as a brewer.... Guinness! Ahhhhhhh i love it. Its nice from the can but when i go to a pub and see it on tap....... its all i can drink. Ist so smooth and creamy and sweet and bitter all at the same time!.

HEAVEN!

My opinion on whats the hottest chilli.

Next year i will be atempting to grow Bih Jolokia and Bhut Jolokia, and Trinidad scorpion...... but that depends on if seeds arive from overseas :rolleyes: god knows what customs will think of them

I will also have fetalli , devils tongue and various habs growing.

I dont think i will care much that the Bhut Jolokia is 24,000 SHU hotter than the scorpion when i bite into the bastards in the back yead!

Sorry to be a spoil sport but im not much for the "this ones hotter than that" thing.

I can handle eating whole hab but i doubt my ability to bite off a naga. Im man enough to admit it :lol:

I guess i will find out when i grow them wont i.

Its like the terminals of a 9 volt battery..... you know its going to sting but eventually.... you will stick your tongue on it.

cheers

maybe the douglah will be hotter than naga ....according to an other pepper forum the trinidad douglah may be a chocolate version of the 7pot/pod ...so if you compare red savina to chocolate habs the chocolate habs seem to be hotter ...so maybe the douglah pepper will be hotter than the original 7pot so maybe hotter than naga :fire: ...but this is all speculation from me, so just time will let us know

I don't know why anyone would accept an un-vetted source like Guinness Book any more than they would accept un-vetted information from Wikipedia.

This stuff is not science, it's pop culture and words will hold still for anyone.

willard - do you think the information from wiki is all false ? well I hate to tell you but not all the info is false, yes theres some info thats false but mostly it is not.

as for guinness book records its not a fake. yes they may not know the newest thing to break their old record of something but they want some proof before its claimed to be a record in their book.

if you really want good peppers then taste your pepper seeds before planting, dont crunch just taste then spit out and choose the hottest seed :)

I am new to the chile world with praticaly no experience in growing, but I have read quite a lot about the subject, planning to start a small colection this year.
Well forgive me, but I found a page that states that the hottest is not Buht Jolokia, but the Wild Desert Tepƍn Pepper
They do not have an e-mail address on the web, what do you think about it?

The link:
http://www.batnet.com/~rwc-seed/Pepper.worlds.hottest.html
Karmi

There are still a few dummies who say the tepin is the hottest but it definitely is not. Same as the Diablo negro, and the donni sali.
I also wouldn't believe a lot of the things they say at ecoseeds(Redwood city), they have much strange and/or misleading information and their own unscientific heat-scale.

chillibeginer said:
I am new to the chile world with praticaly no experience in growing, but I have read quite a lot about the subject, planning to start a small colection this year.
Well forgive me, but I found a page that states that the hottest is not Buht Jolokia, but the Wild Desert Tepƍn Pepper
They do not have an e-mail address on the web, what do you think about it?

The link:
http://www.batnet.com/~rwc-seed/Pepper.worlds.hottest.html
Karmi
From what I've read, the tepins are about 50,000SHU.

POTAWIE said:
The way I see it, Bosland didn't breed the peppers he took what had been tested in India as the hottest in the world and stabilized, not hybridized it and testing only proves that they(indian scientists) were right in the first place. The skeptic proved himself wrong and then takes home the trophy.
the world record is for the Bhut Jolokia, not Dr.Bosland
his name is listed nowhere on the document.
He did however source the pure seed from India,took several years of seed production to have enough to run the trials.
and he/CPI grew out the samples and conducted tests.
The Bhut Jolokia and NMSU are the only names on the certificate.

bosland is the only one out of all who say they conducted HPLC
testing on the Jolokia Strain,and can prove it.
Thats why NMSU grown Bhut Jolokia got the certificate and not Frontal Agritech or the others who claim higher,if they could prove it then they can submitte their findings like Dr Bosland did.

pablo

Back