• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

How do you extinguish the Mouth-Fire?

I got my butt whooped by a red 7pod yesterday. :mouthonfire: :mouthonfire: :mouthonfire: I tried ice cream, milk, yogurt, nothing helped my tongue which was on fire.

My wife mentioned a great method: "Drool-It-Out" and it worked! It was amazing!

Steps

1. Get a cup
2. Stick your tongue out over the cup, face down, and let the saliva drip away into the cup slowly. Don't rush it.
3. Thats it :D :dance:

Somehow the saliva seems to carry away the capsicum or something.

Interesting eh?

What is your method?

Usually just let it die out by itself, then again I do not eat straight supers either. Sometimes a beer helps, then another, then another...

Usually just let it die out by itself, then again I do not eat straight supers either. Sometimes a beer helps, then another, then another...

Haha. For whatever reason, beer always seems to help.

If it's really bad I swish sour cream around in my mouth and spit it out. (<<<<insert "that's what she said" here)

1 tablespoon of sugar. Place in mouth and swish for a minute or two. Then spit or swallow, up to you(yes Sean we know you will swallow :rofl: ). This is what I do when the heat gets to be too much.

Just take the pain as delivered and say "Thank you sir, May I have another?" I use milk and crackers, bread, or chips to help dilute the pain by bringing more food into the mixing bowl that is your mouth.

Glad you found some real heat! Have a good day Mike

Somehow the saliva seems to carry away the capsicum or something.

Interesting eh?
No surprise, because the increased saliva production is probably your body's defense to exterminate what it sees as an intruder (or unwanted chemical)... let the saliva come out, so will the capsaicin. Agitate it (drink liquids, brush your teeth, etc.) without spitting it out and the burn will come back with a vengeance. As I found out just the other day while brushing my teeth after having a wicked-hot Mexican pizza...

My method is to just wait it off, maybe take a drink to "move around" the burn and make it (at least) seem like it's not so strong in one area. IMO, a slightly more tolerable all-over burn is better than a ridiculously bad one concentrated in one place. I usually drink water, because I want to lighten the burn just a bit, not try to kill or overly lighten it (although I know that after eating something hot enough, not even dairy products are enough to extinguish the flames).

Also, while brushing my teeth only stirred up the capsaicin and fueled the flames, I think that in the end it reduced the duration that the heat would have likely lasted; you wouldn't believe all the drool, it looked like I was rabid or something and the stuff was so thick it was a bitch to spit out, and by the time I was done the heat was about gone. If I didn't brush, just moving my tongue around and regularly swallowing saliva would probably have made sure that a steady stream of capsaicin kept my throat warm for close to (if not more than) a half hour.

I found Goat Cheese to be the best super hot pepper pain reliever. First put some in your mouth and swallow a little to get the back of the throat. Then take a little more and try to get it to touch all parts of the mouth and throat. Try and hold it in place.

Interesting...when i get my butt kicked..i eat bread and drink milk..and yes I agree with justaguy about Sean...his secret is out! lol

Milk, time and running around the house! No one forced you to eat it did they? Remember, we eat the superhot's for the experience.

Why bother cooling the fire?

You'll never be able to tolerate those peppers if you keep on lining your mouth with casein - a chemical in milk which protects your mouth pores by sealing them shut. So you get the burn die down for one second, then it comes back worse...

Let it rip and sit it out, do it enough times and you'll adjust!

Back