• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

How much have you spent on fixtures and supplies

I'm definitely going to need to sell some plants! So far, my expense account is $705 this year. Thankfully, $400 of that is in one-time expenses - lumber, lights, fixtures, mylar, etc. Seeds account for $120, the plant trays and flats $80. Electricity I'm estimating at about $35 (500 watts/hr., 14 hours/day for 50 days) though it is probably a little less since I did not use very much for the first 20 days.

Mike

I honestly don't know. The most expensive thing I bought was the Fox Farm Happy Frog potting soil at $25.00 a bag, and I bought one small seed starting mat to replace an old one that had quit working. Oh, and the Cow Pots were more than would normally spend on a plant pot, but I really wanted t try them. I didn't need any new lights, and I don't really know how much power I use.

I spent $230 on an HPS light + ballast, probably $75-100 bucks on fluorescents and fixtures(3 2' T5s, couple 42W cfls, 23W cfl including the ones from last year), another $100ish on random equipment like pots, coco, nutes, pH kit, PVC pipe & panda plastic. Maybe $10 on seeds.

+ 10
-----
$440 in 2 years. Not bad considering all the shit I've accumulated. Only thing left on my list is EC/pH meter. That's another $100 bucks.

I've spent a fortune over the years, but most things are re-usable. This year I've only spent around $100 or a little more on seeds, postage, "soil" and hydro, but still need a load of pro-mix(or similar) ,and cow manure or mushroom compost, and I might have to buy some firewood :(
Oh, and fuel for the tractors too.

If you mean THIS year:
$04 seeds
$25 LED panel
$18 CFL bulbs
$06 light fixture
$40 Thermometer and batteries
$14 greenhouse
$22 4 totes
$10 9oz cups
$10 misc supplies

= ~150

Most of that is reusable, as is the stuff I bought last year.

$75 T-5 CFL
$25 FoxFarm Ocean Forest Soil
$15 FoxFarm GrowBig Fert
$25 Seeds
$25 Pots, seed trays and miscellaneous supplies

$165 total so far and I'm going to the hydro shop on Saturday to buy some tiger bloom and who knows what else :P.

Enjoyment from growing - priceless:)

This is from last year

$20 Seeds
$70 Potting mix,fish emulsion and some ornamental pepper plants
$70 Shovel,fork and some pots
$15 Osmacote
$20 Superthrive

Total-$195 plus other little stuff, so around $230 i would say.
Like you guys have mentioned at lot of these costs are one off as you are able to re-use alot.

I don't want to sit down and figure it up...it would probably scare me...but I would guestimate probably over 3K since september 07...

I have kept all my receipts in a cigar box but have not put it in a chart because like I said...it would scare the bejesus out of me

AlabamaJack said:
I don't want to sit down and figure it up...it would probably scare me...but I would guestimate probably over 3K since september 07...

Want to figure out the price per pound of peppers? :shocked:

that would even scare me worse...probably close to 10 a pound

AlabamaJack said:

1 lb jalapenos from the mexican grocer
$1.35

2 oz cayenne powder from walmart
$1.69

10 lbs of fresh fatalii
Priceless!

AlabamaJack said:

Theoretically AJ, your cost per pound should come down in the coming years as there doesn't seem to be too much more you could buy. But... this forum is good for the economy.

What I spent this year:

$105 - 125 watt cfl system
$60 - 2 bales Pro-Mix
$20 - giant bag of perlite
$32 - Nutes
$18 - Neem oil & Safer soap
$23 - seeds from Hippy, Walmart
$11 - 40w Aquarium Grow Lite tube (didn't work)
$10 - rockwool
$4 - plastic cups
$57 - 5 gallon & 1 gallon containers
$6 - seed trade postage

$346

-next year will be a lot cheaper. In theory of course.:)

seeds ..............$0
trays................$6
Potting Soil........$3
worm castings.......$0
Lights..............$25
Foil Ins Board......$10
Digital Themometer..$5

total spent.........$49

not too bad most everything I can use again in the comming seasons as well....

Txclosetgrower said:
I spent $230 on an HPS light + ballast, probably $75-100 bucks on fluorescents and fixtures(3 2' T5s, couple 42W cfls, 23W cfl including the ones from last year), another $100ish on random equipment like pots, coco, nutes, pH kit, PVC pipe & panda plastic. Maybe $10 on seeds.

+ 10
-----
$440 in 2 years. Not bad considering all the shit I've accumulated. Only thing left on my list is EC/pH meter. That's another $100 bucks.

How are those T5s working for you? Mine don't do so hot:(

I'd figure I spent between $150 and $170 -- but almost all of it is re-usable. Even the CFL bulbs will last at least 2 seasons...maybe three. But, I've always spent lots on the pepper seedlings for my garden so I'll at least break even in a couple seasons.

Back