• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

human waste compost- Yay or Nay?

salsalady

eXtreme Business
I found out that the bulk potting soil I want to use contains compost made from human waste. I don't think it's totally from human waste, but at least part of it is from human waste.

What's the views on using this?

Yay or Nay?

Really???

It's composted........like chicken, horse and cow poop.........

We're not talking raw sewage here-

You're the one eating the peppers, what do you think? What drugs were the people taking that provided the crap? What disease did they have? I'd rather take my chances with Pro-Mix and Osmocote.

I don`t know if I`d do it just because I know where it came from and it seems kinda nasty. Apparently it can be done. Check out HUMANURE for more info. You can also download the entire book as a PDF HERE

I would also want some assurances it's been tested for heavy metals (and found negative) and other potentially dangerous residues like Prozac, etc.

I would pass on that because animals dont have the shitty diets that alot of humans do.
And who knows what other type of waste or toxins could have been consumed?
Cow manure would consist of mostly grass and vegitation.

I think we should stick to using human waste for fertlizing forests and ornamental/floriculture type plants. Human waste can definitely be composted especially with those who are vegetarians, but meat products don't really compost as much as rot and stink. If its a mix thats already composted then it should be OK

That's one nice thing about having goats! Lots of poo with straw as well! ;)

I agree with NOT using human poo due to the multiple drugs (prescription and otherwise) that are consumed and thereby residuals to be found in the fecal matter. I say ummm...not no but HELL NO!

Is this a prank? LOL

If not, salsalady, do not send me your salsa :lol:

salsalady said:
I found out that the bulk potting soil I want to use contains compost made from human waste.

What's the views on using this?

Yay or Nay?

I'd say they finally found a productive use for my two ex-wives.

I would have to agree with several of the above posts. If properly composted I would say it should be ok. BUT, I would recommend using the manure of a herbivore (cow, rabbit, horse, etc.).

i don't know one way or the other on humans, but some cow manure might be just as unsafe, cows aren't meant to eat 'vegetation' they are only meant to eat grass. if they eat 'vegetation' which really means *CORN* there is a VERY high risk of e. coli being in their manure. so just to put that out there cow manure is NOT as safe as you would suspect, especially if they are given the cheapest crop around.

teh purple penguins said:
i don't know one way or the other on humans, but some cow manure might be just as unsafe, cows aren't meant to eat 'vegetation' they are only meant to eat grass. if they eat 'vegetation' which really means *CORN* there is a VERY high risk of e. coli being in their manure. so just to put that out there cow manure is NOT as safe as you would suspect, especially if they are given the cheapest crop around.

I think you hint at a very good point. Always use well composted manure regardless of its source.

Back