• Start a personal food blog, or, start a community food thread for all.

I Cooked It And Ate It.

Post pics of your dinner here. Just a general food thread. I'll start.

Jambalaya and white beans!

Start with a pound of bacon.

9583481227_e0284c7296_b.jpg

Add smoked sausage and brown it up. Then remove the bacon and sausage from the pot and reserve in a bowl.

9583531845_9a0cd47cd8_b.jpg

Brown some pork in the bacon grease

9583533725_73b5f5eb8e_b.jpg

Once the pork is brown, return the sausage and bacon to the pot and add celery, onions, peppers, and garlic. Sweat them all down until the veggies are tender.

-
9583568879_4cd7e313b9_b.jpg

Add water and rice - 2:1 ratio - Here I have 4 cups of water to 2 cups of rice. Also add 1 chicken boullion cube for each cup of water. Water and boullion first, then once the boullion is dissolved and incorporated, add the rice and mix well. Don't forget the salt. Salt it like you would normally salt rice.

9586873400_5b818a48ab_b.jpg

9584276873_8502745d0f_b.jpg

Cover and simmer for 10 minutes, then turn off the fire and let it steam covered for about 20-30 minutes. Then uncover, fluff, and serve!

9584378819_c6d45e6206_b.jpg

9587280290_44637a3252_b.jpg

7 qt is even better....

http://www.amazon.com/Lodge-L10DO3-Seasoned-Spiral-Handle/dp/B004FWNTVG/ref=sr_1_23?ie=UTF8&qid=1377571035&sr=8-23&keywords=lodge+7+qt+cast+iron

texas blues said:

That be the way we like to be liking it.

Foo foo ain't so bad though.

We like to be liking that too!

I got nothing against foo foo..... I'm just not creative enough to do it myself. I just cook and eat. Besides, most of the time I'm cookin' all day, I'm dronk by the time it's ready and I'm all like "pshhhhh....fug it."

Phil said:
See post #18 by THP... white beans on the side with  no rice. Traditional cajun serving method. I know most people are used to beans and rice together. Down here when you buy a jambalaya plate [fundraisers sell them all the time] the white beans are served by themselves with no rice.

:doh:  Now I feel twice as dumb.

Phil, in order to have a TB-like successful topic you need a good name. Like Dumbed-Down Dinner, or something. Then it will have a cool nickname, like Triple D. As of now, in the first post, you don't say you don't want any foo foo. Just sayin'!

The Hot Pepper said:
Phil, in order to have a TB-like successful topic you need a good name. Like Dumbed-Down Dinner, or something. Then it will have a cool nickname, like Triple D. As of now, in the first post, you don't say you don't want any foo foo. Just sayin'!

I hear ya. One of these days I'll come up with something brilliant. And foo foo is allowed... and so is plain Jane dinner. I don't do foo foo simply because of my lack of abaility. But others are more than welcome to post foo foo, because it does look good!

Dinner time was great. 
Had sum over last night, and we threw down Miami Style. 
I went to a latin butcher and bought a whole sirloin, the whole 15 pound thing.
And the guy cuts it however you want. 
The problem is, even though I speak spanish pretty well for a honkey, this guy behind the counter couldn't understand me.
Stupid him.
I ended up using lots of hand gestures and high pitched "eeeeeeeeehhhhhhhhhhhh" sounds while simultaneously showing him my thumb and index fingers pinched about a half an inch apart, while cocking my head slightly to the left and squinting with one eye. 
I think he mistakenly thought I was hitting on him, but It worked. 
I got an assortment of fine sirloin, a mix of palomilla steaks and pinchos (shishkebobs). 
It wasn't until I had post-church leftovers today that I realized how good the meal was. So I'm sharing what I had for lunch. It was good.
(sum, if your shots from last night turned out, you could throw em in here, if not, it's cool)

Palomilla steak with grilled onions. 
Grilled Green Tomato (touch of olive oil, cayenne, salt, pepper...that's it, and it's amazing)
Black beans and rice, topped with raw onion
Turnip Greens doused (DOUSED) in pepper vinegar. Get the fuck away when I'm eating that, I can get ornery if someone gets too close to my food!
Busch light to get the day going.

Have a nice Labor Day weekend, friends.

I hope you let him down easy (using your hand gestures of course).

What a fantastically great southern/Cuban style meal. Paula Deen would be jealous. Doh!

I miss you guys.

A couple of this weeks foods. plain and simple, fried slap ya mama prawns and scallops, snags in a roll with cheech mango, Cheech garlic wings with rice and mi goreng

SDC12312.JPG

SDC12314.JPG

SDC12315.JPG

Phil said:
Post pics of your dinner here. Just a general food thread. I'll start.

Jambalaya and white beans!

Start with a pound of bacon.

9583481227_e0284c7296_b.jpg

Add smoked sausage and brown it up. Then remove the bacon and sausage from the pot and reserve in a bowl.

9583531845_9a0cd47cd8_b.jpg

Brown some pork in the bacon grease

9583533725_73b5f5eb8e_b.jpg

Once the pork is brown, return the sausage and bacon to the pot and add celery, onions, peppers, and garlic. Sweat them all down until the veggies are tender.

-
9583568879_4cd7e313b9_b.jpg

Add water and rice - 2:1 ratio - Here I have 4 cups of water to 2 cups of rice. Also add 1 chicken boullion cube for each cup of water. Water and boullion first, then once the boullion is dissolved and incorporated, add the rice and mix well. Don't forget the salt. Salt it like you would normally salt rice.

9586873400_5b818a48ab_b.jpg

9584276873_8502745d0f_b.jpg

Cover and simmer for 10 minutes, then turn off the fire and let it steam covered for about 20-30 minutes. Then uncover, fluff, and serve!

9584378819_c6d45e6206_b.jpg

9587280290_44637a3252_b.jpg

I will be making this soon!  

Love the cast iron.  I was going to buy that same dutch oven or the 5 qt enamel pot.  I went with the enamel because my La Crusette is getting beat to hell.  I might have to grab one of these dutch ovens sooner than later.    

Scoville DeVille said:
Keep stirring.

and stirring....

....Until it's a good caramel color, then add chopped trinity and sweat down. The add smokey broth made earlier, pork tasso, and andouille sausage

9985128573_1f8ec56ebc_o.jpg

Back