• Start a personal food blog, or, start a community food thread for all.

I Cooked It And Ate It.

Post pics of your dinner here. Just a general food thread. I'll start.

Jambalaya and white beans!

Start with a pound of bacon.

9583481227_e0284c7296_b.jpg

Add smoked sausage and brown it up. Then remove the bacon and sausage from the pot and reserve in a bowl.

9583531845_9a0cd47cd8_b.jpg

Brown some pork in the bacon grease

9583533725_73b5f5eb8e_b.jpg

Once the pork is brown, return the sausage and bacon to the pot and add celery, onions, peppers, and garlic. Sweat them all down until the veggies are tender.

-
9583568879_4cd7e313b9_b.jpg

Add water and rice - 2:1 ratio - Here I have 4 cups of water to 2 cups of rice. Also add 1 chicken boullion cube for each cup of water. Water and boullion first, then once the boullion is dissolved and incorporated, add the rice and mix well. Don't forget the salt. Salt it like you would normally salt rice.

9586873400_5b818a48ab_b.jpg

9584276873_8502745d0f_b.jpg

Cover and simmer for 10 minutes, then turn off the fire and let it steam covered for about 20-30 minutes. Then uncover, fluff, and serve!

9584378819_c6d45e6206_b.jpg

9587280290_44637a3252_b.jpg

Dude Kolaches are awesome! We cant get them around here. 
I always pick some up when I visit my family in Houston. 
Nice job, what a way to start the day!!

The Hot Pepper said:
Whoa Phil, no comments? I missed all this amazing stuff too!

The smoked ham... with a berry cornbread, never thought of that, but adds a nice sweetness to that meal. and berries go great with smoke flavor.

Sweet goes good with ham. Coming up for lunch, crabmeat manicotti! Then for dinner, boudin stuffed bell peppers in marinara

14183909716_ca1e4be004_h.jpg

frydad4 said:
Dude Kolaches are awesome! We cant get them around here. 
I always pick some up when I visit my family in Houston. 
Nice job, what a way to start the day!!

I made my own. A can of Grands butter Tastin' biscuits wrapped around Conecuh hot sausage, and topped with cheese and jalapeno slices. Easy breezy!

Damn Buzz, youre having quite the day!!!

Nice job. Nice way to wrap it all up...now go collapse into a food coma!

Good gravy, dude. Where has this thread been all my life?! Who needs foo foo when you can put up numbers like this? All this good Louisiana cooking reminds me how long it's been since I whipped up a good Cajun mirepoix - I need to get to work.
     BTW, that berry cornbread looks like a great idea. Definitely something I need to try as soon as the mulberry trees down by the railroad tracks start producing this summer!

Food looks killer! Love kolaches too. My better half made some homemade one's a few weeks ago similar to that, though she used a can of crescent rolls. Wish I'd got a shot of the Scotch bonnet and cheese cornbread she made earlier this week. I love Louisiana cooking! Though my waistline doesn't lol. What boudin do you use for cooking?

I'm using Richard's boudin..... for those not from here. that's pronounced Reeshard's.

We decided to wait until tomorrow to make the stuffed peppers. Today just knocked us out! More pictures coming soon!

Although I'll probably make some more of those biscuit beignets for breakfast.... should go great with my coffee!

I was a little confused at first.  Now I wonder, is Buzz the new Phil, like when Chico takes over TB?  Either way, awesome cajun food.

Buzz said:
Let us know how it comes out! Thanks for checking it out!

5 qt. black iron, JHP..... every man needs one!

I know it's not exactly "gourmet". Presentation is tough to conjure...... but hey.... this is real coon ass cookin'!

BTW.... I added about a tsp of Chris' JHP Mystery Smoke Blend when I added the rice. Shhhhh. Don't tell the family! lol. They would have panicked had they seen me do it!
Nothing beats old CI Dutch Ovens. I have several from 4 qts - 12 qts. I'm obsessive compulsive so I think I have at-least 10 CI DO's lol.

Thanks, TB. That's saying a lot!

LD, yeah, I really like my grill basket. It's perfect for veggies. I use it to grill up the works for salsa all the time.

SavinaRed said:
Nothing beats old CI Dutch Ovens. I have several from 4 qts - 12 qts. I'm obsessive compulsive so I think I have at-least 10 CI DO's lol.

No doubt... agreed! I'd like to get a few more, myself. That one is the biggest one I have (either 7 or 9 qt...I don't remember). I'd love to get a 20qt to make a big jambalaya for family get-togethers. I'd hate to lug it around and have to clean it though! lol

Back