• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

annuum Jalapeños Probed In Outbreak

Another gloom and doom story overhyped by the media. The fact is that the FDA is groping in the dark to nail down any source for the outbreak. As for the Wallstreet Journal and all those on Wallstreet....they all should be "probed" with jalapeno's.

Cheers, TB.

What about the little toddlers getting sick, really doubt they are eating jalapenos. So glad I'm growing my own and don't have to worry about buying from the store tomatoes or whatever.

Uhmm...I have been watching this story unfold on the news and believe that it is the same as the spinach scare a few years ago. I have been thinking that perhaps all of this hype can be eliminated if safe handling of foods were talked about more than people getting sick. Maybe I'm wrong, but doesn't eating raw, unwashed vegetables (especially commercially grown) pose a health risk? Again, I may be wrong, but I just think that the media is blowing this whole thing out of perspective, JMO...

wordwiz said:
I'm not sure constant exposure that ever 1,000 people in 36 states have become infected is overhype.

Mike

I would think that 1,000 cases out of 400 million Americans is overhype. Now if it were 10,000...possibly. The hype was there for the so called bird flu epidemic too. How many actual cases? I believe less than 100 world wide. The fact is that salmonella is with us and all around us all the time, as are a wide variety of various viruses (Bush 1&2) and bacteria (Hillary Clinton). E. Coli. (Al Gore) is another little nasty that occurs in nature. Most if not all, can be controlled with simple safe hygene practices.

Cheers, TB.

you work in any greasy spoon which most of us have and you put handling food and sanitary in the sentence you would get laughed at..sh*t ive seen myself over the years working in resturants here and back home makes me glad I know how to cook..Im amazed there isnt more cases like this..greasy spoons are the worst but people flock to them like they are 5 star diners..That would explain why after years in resturants and commercial butcher shops(grocers)I buy meat from someone I trust and knows how to cut and almost never hit up resturants..a resturant looks nice till you see the kitchen........Man do your self the favor...look in the kitchen of the favorite greasy spoon you like then judge Man im glad I work in a factory now lmfao

ok im going to go on a rant now..for years I used to work in commercial butcher shops(grocers)..you would be amazed what they would do to sell their meat..those value packs with chicken breasts etc smothered in nice sauces with the nice looking herbs....outdated chicken bleached to get the green out and look nice for a sale...there is no such thing as bad meat its called frozen ground meat or ground beef/pork on sale really cheap cut losses..I can go on and on and on..japs being the cause of all evil????bullshit its all in handling..in the end all about no losses and the almighty dollar...Mind you I dont see japs being the problem just the escape goat

I'm inclined to think that its got something to do with the hybridization process these things are going through to increase speed to yield & product weight, there must be some downside......or maybe its all some twisted advertising campaign for GM food.

Texas Jalapeno Pepper blamed for sommamella

The FDA has traced the roots to the sommamella poisoning and reports it was a Texas jalapeno pepper. I bet there are a lot of irate tomato growers who have lost thousands of dollars.

Mike

AlabamaJack said:
the tomato growers should sue the FDA for all it is worth IMO...chicken little rides again...

Definitely. I've been rooting for them the whole time. I hope they do it.

And no, i never stopped buying tomatoes here. They're all locally grown in this area and i've never had any problems with them.

Back