• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Jeff H's 2014 glog- Season ending harvest pics.

Okay, time to kick this growing year off. First a pic from last year of the hydroponic scorpion right before I added it to the compost pile. The plant was so productive with 4 gallon freezer bags stuffed plus more already dried that not only did I decide to not overwinter it, but TSBTs won't be on the grow list next year. This was truly a beast and by far my most productive plant. IIRC, it was over 5' tall and just about as wide when hte branches were heavy with pods.

It was started about this time last year, so it is about time to start some of those pesky slower growing plants if I want them this big next year.

20131014_190613.jpg

All good things come to an end. The plants will be chopped up and mixed with the leaves for compost.

20131019_180602.jpg

Okay, with that out of the way, let's get started on next year.

First, a shot of some of the over winter plants in the upstairs window sill. I just plan on keeping them alive here with no real growth expected until I put them outside next year. The two small plants are scorpion clones from the monster. I still don't think they will make the grow next year, but I just couldn't kill it without taking a couple clones. Other overwinters in this pic include a ghost pepper, hot paper lantern hab, tabasco pepper, my largest and most productive giant jalapeno and a couple of others.

20131029_202914.jpg

Now down into the grow room for an overall shot of what I am doing this year. The flood table is new, but everything else is the same from last year. Same 600W MH light and same mylar on the walls.

20131021_203238.jpg

Now at this point, let me take a minute to explain that there is no organic soil in anything I brought inside, nor anything that I plan to plant this year. Everything will be hydroponic in one way or another. Even the plants upstairs. My soil for all plants not in the flood table is 50/50 perlite and peat moss. I water them with hydro nutes every few days, but probably can get away with once a week or so. Soil drains really well but the peat moss holds a decent amount of moisture. I'm hoping that we have no issues with root rot this year. I'm also betting that fungus gnats won't like this fast drying soil either. Well that and the mosquito dunks that will be in the hydro water if those bastards do show up again this year.

A close up of the "soil". Look at all that great perlite.

20131021_203221.jpg

Now, looking at the plants in the flood table, the perlite/pete moss is about 80/20 and I flood hte table once a day. As it is, there is probably too much pete in the soil because the grow bags stay soaked all the time and I'm going to have mold issues. I need to rethink this, but this is what I have for now.

Here they are the day it was installed on Oct 21st.
20131021_203215.jpg

Here they are a week later (last night). You can't really see it, but there are a couple of tiny growth nodes on the ghost pepper (big pot on the left) and the paper lantern in the black pot. No sign of growth on the monzano yet, but if you look close at the pot, you can see what looks like mold starting. I tossed a cup of H2O2 into the rez last night to kill it if it was mold. We'll see. Maybe plastic air pruning pots would be better suited, or giant net cups.

20131029_200016.jpg

That is all for now. Join me back on the next update. I'm working hot and heavy on some clones and other projects that aren't quite ready to be photographed yet. Soon though.

Jeff H said:
Went down and checked again tonight and I do have some minor mottling on some older leaves, but nothing like the necrotic photo from last week. These look more like a nutrient imbalance that is starting to correct itself. I had a feeling that 8 pepper plants and 8-10 other herbs and lettuce were taking it's toll on the 9 gallon reservoir. (that was another reason I removed the PVC tubes). So far, new growth looks nice and healthy, but I am definitely keeping my eye on things.

Excellent! I love a happy ending... especially when it turns out to have been something minor that is already correcting itself. Drive on bro'!

stickman said:

Excellent! I love a happy ending... especially when it turns out to have been something minor that is already correcting itself. Drive on bro'!

Thanks for the good vibes Rick.

Finally back at the office on a newer computer so I can get this posted. Just the Hot, super, and medium hots in this pic. It feels so small compared to some of the grows on this site this year, but it is more than enough for me. All of the in ground plants (everything below the list of Hydro plants) will be in 16"x16" plots. The main Annuum bed is 4'x20'.
Garden+layout.JPG

Steak and bread look great! One of the ways we make it is to put a tab of butter the steak, onions and mushrooms in a cast iron skillet, the timing work out so when the onions are nice and brown like in your pick the steaks ready. Dang now I'm hungry!

Can't wait to see your grow hit the dirt!

Keep it green!

My post never made it up. Grr.. Mobile version of the site has some mixed results.

Great looking spread Jeff, but I am confused about your spacing. What are you going for annuum and chinense spacings in your beds? Gonna do any lower branch trimming? I guess the question is how many 16x16' beds you got?

Happy growin bud!

Jeff H said:
Made some more bread for the one in my family that doesn't like crusty ciabatta (read wife).
That's sad, ciabatta is the most badass bread! I probably won't change it for no other type of bread! Very nice you mada yours, one day i should try too to make it (someone told me a nice recipe, funny part is cooking with a small pot filled with water in the oven for humidity).

Great plants btw!

Essegi said:
That's sad, ciabatta is the most badass bread! I probably won't change it for no other type of bread! Very nice you mada yours, one day i should try too to make it (someone told me a nice recipe, funny part is cooking with a small pot filled with water in the oven for humidity).

Great plants btw!

Ciabatta is a great bread, crusty on the outside and spongy on the inside. 
A preheated cast iron pot seated on the oven floor with boiling water poured in will help with the browing and crust. Leaving the oven door ajar before the bread is finished will result in a softer crust...

beerbreath81 said:
it will be fun to watch the difference between the pots and the hydroponics.

----Poblanos, have you grown these before, there was a thread going around earlier about the time from seed to harvest, 200+ days??
I have grown poblanos once before and I don't remember them taking any longer than the other annuums. 

romy6 said:
 Over 60 plants . Small by no means. That is gonna yield more pods than most will know what to do with ;)  . Best of luck Jeff  :fireball:
Yeah, actual count should be right around 76. I'm doing more annuums this year and less supers. Those crazy Chinense supers get so big and put off so many pods you don't know what to do with them all. 

Devv said:
Steak and bread look great! One of the ways we make it is to put a tab of butter the steak, onions and mushrooms in a cast iron skillet, the timing work out so when the onions are nice and brown like in your pick the steaks ready. Dang now I'm hungry!

Can't wait to see your grow hit the dirt!

Keep it green!

Posted below is a pic of what I did with it. The wife bought a new paninni press and we had to test it out real good. 

maximumcapsicum said:
My post never made it up. Grr.. Mobile version of the site has some mixed results.

Great looking spread Jeff, but I am confused about your spacing. What are you going for annuum and chinense spacings in your beds? Gonna do any lower branch trimming? I guess the question is how many 16x16' beds you got?

Happy growin bud!

No Chinense in the beds. They are all going in hydro or in big pots since they need about 3' spacing. The main bed is all Annuums with 16" spacing, and the bacctums are in a separate bed. Probably space those 2' or so. 

HillBilly Jeff said:
Looking good man....color coordinated SS is too much like work :)

HaHa. With google docs pictures, it isn't that hard. 

Essegi said:

Great plants btw!
Thanks for stopping in Essegi. Yes  love Ciabatta, but it is very crusty when I make mine and the females in my house prefer softer breads. 

PIC 1 said:

Great plants btw!

Ciabatta is a great bread, crusty on the outside and spongy on the inside. 
A preheated cast iron pot seated on the oven floor with boiling water poured in will help with the browing and crust. Leaving the oven door ajar before the bread is finished will result in a softer crust...

Interesting. I just put a 1/4" of water in a 9x11 baking dish in the cold oven. By the time the oven heats up, it is giving off steam .

Okay, I posted pics of all of the prep food, now for the money shot. Chopped steak paninnis and baked hot fries. All kinds of awesomeness in there. 
20140214_175814.jpg

20140214_180914.jpg

Now that everyone is hungry, let's get back to plants. 
Here are the babies. Only peppers that didn't pop yet are cayenne and Corno de toro (sweet). 
20140216_101632.jpg

Last round of plants for a while. More jalapenos, replant of the ones above that didn't pop, tomatillo, a few more onions that didn't pop and tomatoes. 
20140216_104715.jpg

Shot of my Jigsaw just because it is doin well and looks healthy. 
20140216_105109.jpg

I am really hoping I get those crazy chinense sizes... nothing happened last year but I really didn't know what I was doing. I am considering following the pruning regimen on Soren Larsen's facebook page this year, but I'm not really 100% sure how. I guess start trimming lower branchers when you think the plant has enough energy to support it. May be worth a shot.

The sandwich looks great Jeff! Gonna go grabs some salsa and chips myself. 

Love the recent planting. Gonna get crowded over there!

Man I'm drooling over here with those paninnis!! Glad to hear the pepper issues are starting to correct themselves. Good luck with the 76 plants... you will be a busy man!

So... do you just love you flood table?

HillBilly Jeff said:
Great food pics.  Glad my pot pies are in the oven

Good luck on your replants and your cayennes should pop soon, they germ really well.

Love the jigsaw, mine is a long ways back.
Yeah, I don't know why the cayennes are giving me troubles. They are 2 year old seeds, but that isn't too long. At least is is a simple plant like cayenne. If my seeds are bad, I can pick that one up at HD in the spring.

Jigsaw is one of my strongest plants this year. growing really nicely.

maximumcapsicum said:
I am really hoping I get those crazy chinense sizes... nothing happened last year but I really didn't know what I was doing. I am considering following the pruning regimen on Soren Larsen's facebook page this year, but I'm not really 100% sure how. I guess start trimming lower branchers when you think the plant has enough energy to support it. May be worth a shot.

The sandwich looks great Jeff! Gonna go grabs some salsa and chips myself. 

Love the recent planting. Gonna get crowded over there!
I didn't do anything special Some never got more than 3' tall and some (especially the hydro ones) were enormous. My TS was the biggest at about 5' tall and almost that wide. I did tie it up a little to keep it about 3' wide so it didn't crowd it's neighbors too much. Pepper Guru's make mine look like dwarfs though.

Devv said:
Sandwiches look great!

Glad dinner is just a few minutes away!

Congrats on more seed starting!
Thanks for stopping in Scott, I know how busy you have been lately.

Nick08* said:
Man I'm drooling over here with those paninnis!! Glad to hear the pepper issues are starting to correct themselves. Good luck with the 76 plants... you will be a busy man!

So... do you just love you flood table?
The flood table is pretty nice. Certainly the best indoor method I have tried yet. Next year, I doubt that I will overwinter hydro plants. They just get too big and will take over. Next year, just new plants in the flood table. One other big bonus of the flood table is that the plants don't get water roots, so if I decide to plant them in soil, I can just knock off as much perlite as possible and plop them in the garden.

Thanks for the guidelines Jeff! I am hoping to reproduce you results. Will probably do minimal pruning just to keep light and airflow to the smaller plants and lower branches, and to make harvesting easier. If I end up planting any doubles I'll Søren one and let the other grow more naturally, just to compare the results.

Restarting the hydro every year is a great idea, gives you plenty of room for breeding projects. Good to have yearly generations too. Got to really stand out to get OW from now on imo.

No sprouts as of last night. :mope:

Nothing else to do in this god forsaken winter but eat, sooooooo how about spicy pulled pork sandwiches.

Home made buns fresh out of the oven. Pics of the sandwiches and maybe a sprout or two later tonight after dinner.
20140217_192803.jpg

You can just start to see some grass in a couple places now that it is up to about 50 degrees here today. Hopefully by Sat, most of this crap will be melted.

maximumcapsicum said:
Thanks for the guidelines Jeff! I am hoping to reproduce you results. Will probably do minimal pruning just to keep light and airflow to the smaller plants and lower branches, and to make harvesting easier. If I end up planting any doubles I'll Søren one and let the other grow more naturally, just to compare the results.

Restarting the hydro every year is a great idea, gives you plenty of room for breeding projects. Good to have yearly generations too. Got to really stand out to get OW from now on imo.
Restarting the hydro, or only using hydro in the winter. One of the things I love about my system this year is that by growing in perlite, the plants don't get water roots like they do in bubble buckets. Transplanting to soil would be a snap if I decided to go that way, and I could fit quite a few 4" pots into my 2'x2' flood table.

HillBilly Jeff said:
I have some red/yellow/orange/purple cayenne seed here that I don't ever plan on using again.  If you want, I could send them off to you tomorrow.
Thanks Jeff. Purple would be cool. I would love some.

Back