• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Jeff H's 2014 glog- Season ending harvest pics.

Okay, time to kick this growing year off. First a pic from last year of the hydroponic scorpion right before I added it to the compost pile. The plant was so productive with 4 gallon freezer bags stuffed plus more already dried that not only did I decide to not overwinter it, but TSBTs won't be on the grow list next year. This was truly a beast and by far my most productive plant. IIRC, it was over 5' tall and just about as wide when hte branches were heavy with pods.

It was started about this time last year, so it is about time to start some of those pesky slower growing plants if I want them this big next year.

20131014_190613.jpg

All good things come to an end. The plants will be chopped up and mixed with the leaves for compost.

20131019_180602.jpg

Okay, with that out of the way, let's get started on next year.

First, a shot of some of the over winter plants in the upstairs window sill. I just plan on keeping them alive here with no real growth expected until I put them outside next year. The two small plants are scorpion clones from the monster. I still don't think they will make the grow next year, but I just couldn't kill it without taking a couple clones. Other overwinters in this pic include a ghost pepper, hot paper lantern hab, tabasco pepper, my largest and most productive giant jalapeno and a couple of others.

20131029_202914.jpg

Now down into the grow room for an overall shot of what I am doing this year. The flood table is new, but everything else is the same from last year. Same 600W MH light and same mylar on the walls.

20131021_203238.jpg

Now at this point, let me take a minute to explain that there is no organic soil in anything I brought inside, nor anything that I plan to plant this year. Everything will be hydroponic in one way or another. Even the plants upstairs. My soil for all plants not in the flood table is 50/50 perlite and peat moss. I water them with hydro nutes every few days, but probably can get away with once a week or so. Soil drains really well but the peat moss holds a decent amount of moisture. I'm hoping that we have no issues with root rot this year. I'm also betting that fungus gnats won't like this fast drying soil either. Well that and the mosquito dunks that will be in the hydro water if those bastards do show up again this year.

A close up of the "soil". Look at all that great perlite.

20131021_203221.jpg

Now, looking at the plants in the flood table, the perlite/pete moss is about 80/20 and I flood hte table once a day. As it is, there is probably too much pete in the soil because the grow bags stay soaked all the time and I'm going to have mold issues. I need to rethink this, but this is what I have for now.

Here they are the day it was installed on Oct 21st.
20131021_203215.jpg

Here they are a week later (last night). You can't really see it, but there are a couple of tiny growth nodes on the ghost pepper (big pot on the left) and the paper lantern in the black pot. No sign of growth on the monzano yet, but if you look close at the pot, you can see what looks like mold starting. I tossed a cup of H2O2 into the rez last night to kill it if it was mold. We'll see. Maybe plastic air pruning pots would be better suited, or giant net cups.

20131029_200016.jpg

That is all for now. Join me back on the next update. I'm working hot and heavy on some clones and other projects that aren't quite ready to be photographed yet. Soon though.

HillBilly Jeff said:
Plants are looking great.  Really like the drip system you have going on there.  Love your pod pics!!!  Looks like you're all set to kick back and start reaping!!!!
We'll see. Tomatoes look real good, Chinense and tomatillos look good, zucchini cantaloupe and cucumbers look okay and annuums and beans look not so good. So, we'll see what happens.

maximumcapsicum said:
Maters are quite far along givin your plant out date. Must be doing something right. What kind of romas are those?

The seed pack just said Roma. Don't know any more than that. Wondering if the determinate tomatoes might be started to early. I didn't want fruit until they were bigger but I'll take it.

They are determinate? Strange. Haven't seen that before. Tomatoes are weird. I get the impression that foliage is somewhat expendable after the fruit sets. As soon as the stems hit light they'll start putting on leaves like crazy, but sometimes too much. Too much leaf growth screws up the fruit. I think this is why some people prune away the leaves on branches that have set fruit. 

I am sure there are folks here who know way more about it that I do. I've been kind of following Jerricson's lead on mater pruning. Need to do a little more research.

In any event I'm sure you'll get a killer yield.

maximumcapsicum said:
They are determinate? Strange. Haven't seen that before. Tomatoes are weird.

The Romas are. I have 10 or so of them. I would have liked to see them bigger before they put on fruit since they tend to put out a bunch of fruit and then die, but we'll see how they do.

The 1/2 dozen indeterminates are going to be monsters though. The bite right toms are already 3' tall. Doing way better than the peppers.

Decided to see if this compost tea thing was all it was cracked up to be.

20140528_202856.jpg

Gassing off 5 gallons of water with 4 air stones. That should be plenty to get the chlorine out quickly.

20140528_202848.jpg

Brand new home made compost sifter.

20140528_203002.jpg

Vermicompost in the making.

20140528_203130.jpg

Crap-I think I left the worm bin out in the rain one day because the soil is soaked. Worms seem happy, but I doubt I'll be able to sift it out for a while. Might have to head to the local hydro shop and pick up a bag of castings to give this a try.

I found some sorghum molasses in the fridge. Anyone know if that will work as well as black-strap molasses?

GA Growhead said:
Wet castings will still work. Get a handful of and bag it!
As long as it's sulfur free you can use it. Check for that.

Okey dokey Jason.

Only reason I was hesitant was because they smell like wet rotting leaves. Probably because there is a bunch of soaking wet rotting leaves mixed in as bedding for the worms. I didn't know if that meant there was some bad stuff in there or not since they didn't smell like that before they got so wet.

Drilled a hole in the bottom of the container so we won't have this issue again.

Here goes nothing.

20140529_174922.jpg

A couple of cups of sifted soaking wet castings and rotting leaves and a couple of TBSP (technical term: one big dollop) of molasses.

Jeff,

That Corno di toro is wellhung has a huge pod for it's size, I had to chuckle. But it's like the little train that could ;)

Glad to see all the poddage there too!

Good luck with the tea. It certainly can't hurt. I've been making it with a chunk of aged cow manaure and molasses, along with some dried molasses. It foams nicely.

Devv said:
Jeff,

That Corno di toro is wellhung has a huge pod for it's size, I had to chuckle. But it's like the little train that could ;)

Glad to see all the poddage there too!

Good luck with the tea. It certainly can't hurt. I've been making it with a chunk of aged cow manaure and molasses, along with some dried molasses. It foams nicely.

Thanks Scott. The corno is certainly busting out a large pod for its 1st.

So, was way too busy last night for the tea so I put another TBSP of molasses in there and let it cook for another day. When I finally got home today to work on the gardens the tea had a little froth on it but not much. Maybe an inch or so. I'll play with the recipe for next weeks batch. I've read that fresh grass clippings work well. I'll add those when I cut the grass in a few days.

I foliar fed all the plants with the tea. Took about 3 gallons for the peppers then I drenched the pubes and all of ghost pepper row with the remaining 2 gallons.

I got tired of looking at all my extras so I potted 5 more just to get them off the deck.
20140531_182008.jpg

From the left: poblano, purple jal, orange thai, monzano clone (my only surviving clone from my winter attempts), and my (I ain't winning no contest) CNG 22792 which is super healthy looking but forked way to early and is really small.
That brings the total to 76 hot pepper plants from Anaheim to Reapers and everything in between. :D

Don't tell my wife there are that many. She isn't interested enough to count them.

I've been too busy to make tea lately, but need to.

None of my clone attempts made it this season, I did well last season 100% made it. I seem to have better luck with young plants, versus using an OW. But then again I just stuck them in water....my bad ;)

My tea recipe is worm castings, some grass pulled up from the yard, clipping and some roots w/ soil, some straight garden soil and a bit of organic fertilizer for the additional microbes/fungi.
Sometimes some forest floor soil too. The back yard is wooded past the garden. There is some good fungi out there.
I have been meaning to make some the last couple days. Need to get on that tonight.
Plants looking good! Like the extra keepers!
I will keep that unsaid number of plants on the down low. ;)

Now this is interesting, and unexpected.

The seeds were labeled as purple jalapenos. Purple pods I get, but I wasn't expecting purple flowers too. Anyone ever grown purple jalapenos before? Were their flowers white or purple? Suspecting that this might be a cross of some sort.

20140602_172149.jpg

20140602_172141.jpg

I'll keep an eye on the other flower buds when they open and see if I can get a good photo of the inside of the flower. This one is already wilted a little.

Jeff H said:
Now this is interesting, and unexpected.

The seeds were labeled as purple jalapenos. Purple pods I get, but I wasn't expecting purple flowers too. Anyone ever grown purple jalapenos before? Were their flowers white or purple? Suspecting that this might be a cross of some sort.

20140602_172149.jpg

20140602_172141.jpg

I'll keep an eye on the other flower buds when they open and see if I can get a good photo of the inside of the flower. This one is already wilted a little.

All my purple jals (2 sources... Jason and Pepper Joe) all have purple flowers AND purple foliage. So it looks like you're right on track. Pods are sweet and mild down here.

beerbreath81 said:
No cross, purple flowers are correct. 

maximumcapsicum said:

All my purple jals (2 sources... Jason and Pepper Joe) all have purple flowers AND purple foliage. So it looks like you're right on track. Pods are sweet and mild down here.

Devv said:
Nothing wrong with purple flowers ;)  I love 'em!

Thanks for the confirmation guys. It was a bit head scratching when I 1st saw it. I've been growing annuums of all types for years and never seen a flower anything other than white.

Getting ready for the thunderstorms later today. I turned off the irrigation system, last time I checked the soil was plenty wet and we are about to get dumped on in a few hours.

Last night I was a bachelor for the evening so I did what I am never allowed to do when people are here: Pan searing fish with superhot salt in the kitchen. Yes, just a healthy dose of scorpion salt is all it takes to fumigate the kitchen and most of the 1st floor. Food was worth it though.

Simple dinner: seared mahi mahi and a baked potato. Nice and easy.

20140603_193440.jpg

20140603_192527.jpg

20140603_192828.jpg

Jeff have you noticed any difference with the tea brew. I did a comparison with some tomato plants, 10 plants were soaked, 10 were not. Big difference after 3 days. Not only a lush dark green appearance but a surge in growth.

I'll take a plate of that Mahi !

Back