• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Jeff H's 2014 glog- Season ending harvest pics.

Okay, time to kick this growing year off. First a pic from last year of the hydroponic scorpion right before I added it to the compost pile. The plant was so productive with 4 gallon freezer bags stuffed plus more already dried that not only did I decide to not overwinter it, but TSBTs won't be on the grow list next year. This was truly a beast and by far my most productive plant. IIRC, it was over 5' tall and just about as wide when hte branches were heavy with pods.

It was started about this time last year, so it is about time to start some of those pesky slower growing plants if I want them this big next year.

20131014_190613.jpg

All good things come to an end. The plants will be chopped up and mixed with the leaves for compost.

20131019_180602.jpg

Okay, with that out of the way, let's get started on next year.

First, a shot of some of the over winter plants in the upstairs window sill. I just plan on keeping them alive here with no real growth expected until I put them outside next year. The two small plants are scorpion clones from the monster. I still don't think they will make the grow next year, but I just couldn't kill it without taking a couple clones. Other overwinters in this pic include a ghost pepper, hot paper lantern hab, tabasco pepper, my largest and most productive giant jalapeno and a couple of others.

20131029_202914.jpg

Now down into the grow room for an overall shot of what I am doing this year. The flood table is new, but everything else is the same from last year. Same 600W MH light and same mylar on the walls.

20131021_203238.jpg

Now at this point, let me take a minute to explain that there is no organic soil in anything I brought inside, nor anything that I plan to plant this year. Everything will be hydroponic in one way or another. Even the plants upstairs. My soil for all plants not in the flood table is 50/50 perlite and peat moss. I water them with hydro nutes every few days, but probably can get away with once a week or so. Soil drains really well but the peat moss holds a decent amount of moisture. I'm hoping that we have no issues with root rot this year. I'm also betting that fungus gnats won't like this fast drying soil either. Well that and the mosquito dunks that will be in the hydro water if those bastards do show up again this year.

A close up of the "soil". Look at all that great perlite.

20131021_203221.jpg

Now, looking at the plants in the flood table, the perlite/pete moss is about 80/20 and I flood hte table once a day. As it is, there is probably too much pete in the soil because the grow bags stay soaked all the time and I'm going to have mold issues. I need to rethink this, but this is what I have for now.

Here they are the day it was installed on Oct 21st.
20131021_203215.jpg

Here they are a week later (last night). You can't really see it, but there are a couple of tiny growth nodes on the ghost pepper (big pot on the left) and the paper lantern in the black pot. No sign of growth on the monzano yet, but if you look close at the pot, you can see what looks like mold starting. I tossed a cup of H2O2 into the rez last night to kill it if it was mold. We'll see. Maybe plastic air pruning pots would be better suited, or giant net cups.

20131029_200016.jpg

That is all for now. Join me back on the next update. I'm working hot and heavy on some clones and other projects that aren't quite ready to be photographed yet. Soon though.

Jeff H said:
I don't know if I will ever find out for sure until I break down and get a magnifying glass. Where did you get yours, and how powerful is it?

I wonder if 30X is enough?

Ah yes, the grow store special :D I've used that one to ID spider mites, but broad mites are 1/5-1/4 the size and would look like a fleck of microdust.

Nothing finer than releasing predators and watching the tiny war with a glass :P

+1 for ze vermfarm!

Thunder storms are forcing me to wait until Mothers day even though I don't want to for the peppers. Most peppers won't be staked and I really don't need 2 days of thunderstorms beating them down just after I get them in the dirt.
Capture.JPG

Some beans and cucumbers will likely go in hte ground ahead of these storms. They should be fine. (beans are still seeds).

I did plant some deer repellent yesterday (marigolds) and I have some sage and lavender that is almost big enough to become deer repellent. My phone battery died yesterday so no pics until later this week.

Also on the to do list is to get the irrigation redone for the new garden beds.

I'm thinking of running these drippers. 1/2 GPH drippers every foot. (3) 20' runs should be enough to cover each of the raised beds for the annuums, tomatoes, cucumbers and anything else I decide to plant. Chinense, frut, and Pubes will all get1-2  dedicated drippers.
quarter-inch-x-100-feet-drip-emitter-tubing-half-gallon-per-hour-emitters-spaced-12-inches-apart-dd-det250-12-100.jpg

HillBilly Jeff said:
I have found that the 30 06 is a great deer repellent.  Plus you save money on trips to the butcher...

Good point. I can make that work.

20130903_213818.jpg

Might be a tad bit loud for the subdivision though.

That reminds me, I need to call CMP and get a new sling. I stole the one of of the Garand for my highpower AR15. One must always be proficient in the prone position while shooting at 10 yards in my backyard. :D

Devv said:
+1 on 683!

And if houses are nearby a bow works wonders ;)

So when they forecast rain you actually get it?

Not here, they forecast it and we go "yeah right" sad thing is we're usually right, not the weatherman.

Yes, the forecasters suck here too, but they usually get the rain right.

Jeff H said:

Very cool Jeff. My Dad used to have one made by the Singer Sewing Machine co. and he carried one in Korea made by International Harvester. Who made yours? Hope you haven't gotten "M1 thumb" when loading stripper clips... ;)

I'd be curious to see how you have your drip irrigation system set up when it's in place. Cheers!

stickman said:

Very cool Jeff. My Dad used to have one made by the Singer Sewing Machine co. and he carried one in Korea made by International Harvester. Who made yours? Hope you haven't gotten "M1 thumb" when loading stripper clips... ;)

I'd be curious to see how you have your drip irrigation system set up when it's in place. Cheers!

Nice Rick. My grandfather carried one in WW2. Mine is a Springfield armory of Korean war vintage with new wood and a very good condition barrel. You can still buy them shipped right to your door, but you have to meet a few easy criteria (Not positive about MA, but you can in Ohio) at www.odcmp.com.

Updates on the irrigation system will be coming as I get it installed. By the way, I get all my irrigation stuff from www.irrigationdirect.com

maximumcapsicum said:
Can't wait to see your plantout Jeff! You should get the drippers. Why not?

Absolutely no reason not to get them. As far as I can see, it will be the easiest way to water the garden.

Like that M1! They sure are a sweet shooting rifle.

And I see you're ready for action with the ammo box full of ready to go clips.

Devv said:
Like that M1! They sure are a sweet shooting rifle.

And I see you're ready for action with the ammo box full of ready to go clips.

Thanks Scott, and yes, they are nice shooting rifles. Great sights for a battle rifle. I have several rifles from the 1930-1960 era. The Garand is by far "the greatest battle implement ever devised", well at least the best WW2-Korean era one I own.

Back to plants.
The annuums are all starting to make a comeback from their bout of mites/overfertilization/whatever it was. New growth sprouting from most plants.

Purple cayenne.
20140507_184336.jpg

Thai
20140507_184345.jpg

Don't remember which ones these were.
20140507_184324.jpg

20140507_184309.jpg

With a little help from Mother nature, they are going in the ground Saturday, if the rain doesn't stop then Monday. Hoping they really come to life then.

If you look close at this one, you can see some fert burn on the new leaves. Clearly this one is over fertilized, but since I haven't fed it anything but the time release stuff that came premixed in the soil, there isn't much I can do but keep flushing it with water. This is hte only one I saw that looked this bad.
20140507_184405.jpg

be carefull  "youll shot your eye out kid"

nice on the drip line half a gallon for a hour is perfect.

water flush:  if you can have the plants on something so they get lots of air under them they will dry so much faster and allow you to flush more often. 

We're having the same weather you are, Jeff.  Makes planting out between showers interesting!  
At least we don't have the T-storm activity like you get there.  I've probably heard three thunder
claps all season so far!  August is different!

I'm thinking of trying the same type of drip tubing you have.  I have a couple of rolls I bought before
using the soaker rings.   I may also try a zone with some terminal emitters, I have a bunch.  I think
Stickman is doing the same.

Glas to see the annuums bouncing back!

sicman said:
be carefull  "youll shot your eye out kid"

nice on the drip line half a gallon for a hour is perfect.

water flush:  if you can have the plants on something so they get lots of air under them they will dry so much faster and allow you to flush more often. 

Nice quote. Made me grin.
I hear you sic. They are in mesh bottom nursery trays and sitting on metal mesh lawn chairs right now. Plenty of airflow and I have been watering them almost every day it gets up in the 80s. Hopefully that will flush out the excess nutes quickly.

PaulG said:
We're having the same weather you are, Jeff.  Makes planting out between showers interesting!  
At least we don't have the T-storm activity like you get there.  I've probably heard three thunder
claps all season so far!  August is different!

I'm thinking of trying the same type of drip tubing you have.  I have a couple of rolls I bought before
using the soaker rings.   I may also try a zone with some terminal emitters, I have a bunch.  I think
Stickman is doing the same.

Glas to see the annuums bouncing back!

Hi Paul. I plan on one or two dedicated drip emitters for the larger chinense plants that are spaced further apart, but I did order 200' of this drip tubing for the annuums, tomatoes and other smaller plants. I have a few misters that are for the onions and beets.

TrentL said:
Ooh! Garands. :)

Idw4nEfh.jpg

Nice M1. Is that a CMP one? Mine is.

20140508_180603.jpg

Got my magnifying glass the other day and finally got a chance to use it. NOW it is confirmed. Mites. I was unsure of the white things I saw that weren't moving, but then I saw one crawling around. 60x is just about enough to see their legs if they are moving. I'm guessing the white ones I saw that weren't moving were dead ones from my recent attempt at mite genocide.

I always thought broad mites were black, but these are definitely white. Maybe another type of mite.

I'm so sick and tired of talking about mites. Time to show off the ones that actually are doing really well.

20140508_172209.jpg

My Jigsaw from Dale's seeds.

20140508_172249.jpg

Reaper- seeds from a pod I got off of Ed.

20140508_172319.jpg

Indian Carbon Bhut

20140508_172348.jpg

Naga morarch- From Judy I think.

20140508_172506.jpg

Another

20140508_173954.jpg

Monster o/w monzano. The pot looks small but it is 15 gallons. I have high hopes for this one.

20140508_172231.jpg

Paper lantern

20140508_172405.jpg

White bhut

20140508_172434.jpg

Caribbean red.

It is supposed to storm tomorrow, so I brought all the small plants up on the covered deck one last time. I thought it was a good time to take inventory of what is actually growing since so many have been beaten and/or died over the winter/spring. I really had no idea what I really had left vs. what I wanted to plant. I have room for most, but not all of these. The rest will go to family.

Just the small annuums. I have a handful of o/w ones not included here

5 Jalumondo
5 Purple Jal
5 Giant Jal
4 Tam Jal
6 Poblano
3 cayenne
3 thick cayenne
3 purple cayenne
4 Orange thai
2 big jim- Sadly I lost more than  wanted to of these.
3 Anaheim
5 Pasilla Bajio
4 Mirasol
1 Hot cherry

7 red/green bells
5 mini chocolate bells
4 biscayne
2 corno di torno

I have a couple more pics so I'll need a bunp.

Jeff H said:

Nice M1. Is that a CMP one? Mine is.

Oh I'm sure it was at some point in time. I bought it at a local pawn shop with my C&R and brought it home one day last year, for the high price of $550. ;)

It's in great overall shape. Stock has been refinished, and it's been rebuilt once, but very solid, smooth action. Receiver was born September 1944. Was re-arsenal'd in 1966.

Glad you got a handle on your mite problems Jeff. Good to know that I need to upgrade to 60x to be able to see broad mites.

Plants look great! I think this weekend is when many folks here will be planting out, me included. :)  Continued success brother!

Islander said:
Looking good so far. Bumpppp

Thanks.

TrentL said:

Oh I'm sure it was at some point in time. I bought it at a local pawn shop with my C&R and brought it home one day last year, for the high price of $550. ;)

It's in great overall shape. Stock has been refinished, and it's been rebuilt once, but very solid, smooth action. Receiver was born September 1944. Was re-arsenal'd in 1966.
C&R. :drooling:  Of course you do. Why am I not surprised. One of these days I should do that too, but it is on my list of things I haven't gotten around to yet.

stickman said:
Glad you got a handle on your mite problems Jeff. Good to know that I need to upgrade to 60x to be able to see broad mites.

Plants look great! I think this weekend is when many folks here will be planting out, me included. :)  Continued success brother!

You should be able to see them moving around under 40x. Might not be able to see the legs though. The 60X only cost me $8.50 though so it wasn't a big investment.

Hate those damn things. Since I've had them two winters in a row, I think they are living in the grow room somewhere. I'll remodel it sometime this year and bomb it a couple times just to be sure.

Two of my over wintered red ghost peppers got the boot last night. I got tired of moving them around so they went in the dirt. 1st of the Chinense to go.
20140508_174956.jpg
20140508_175015.jpg

Not the best pictures, but the evening sun was fierce last night.

If the weather cooperates, everything else goes in the dirt tomorrow. :dance: :dance:

Mites are a tough battle, and can cause crop failure if not treated. It's good to see that you've taken measures to get it under control.
I had a few plants lst yr that had issues late in the season. I ended up destroying them...distorted pods, and I didn't want any part in saving the seeds ....lol

That Jigsaw looks like a winner !
I haven't grown those before but have a couple under the coldframe...ready to go.
It's cool to see an OW'ed Red Ghost in the ground. Not too much talk about the "Original Jolokia" lately....I especially like to mix a generous amount of dried Ghost flakes into some good ground chuck....they make the burgers even more special.

Have fun with the plantout.....I'll send you the rain we're getting today. I swear my plants grew overnight.

Back