• We welcome content that is not political, divisive, or offensive. If we feel your content leans this way or has the potential to, it may be removed at any time. A hot pepper forum is not the place for such content. Thank you for respecting the community!

just bought a new gun

Well now i'm insanely jealous!!!

I've shot a heap of hand guns but never owned one. Again, our laws here make it nearly impossible to own a handgun.....

+1! This is a really great round for home defense it would seem, especially if you live in a house with other folks inside in other rooms, or an appartment or closely spaced neighborhood where overpenetration could lead to injury or death of an unintended target. Looks like a very nice pistol, and both beautiful and functional. Not too often you find a great shooter right out of the box. How many rounds you put through it so far? Does it cycle those Dakotas pretty well?

thanks for the comments everyone.

fivestar
my dad and i shot about 50 rounds through it last week at a local indoor range. we havent shot any of the dakotas yet so im not to sure how well it cycles them, but i will try a few of them out next time at the range.

Do you think its a good idea to have the clips loaded with the gun? Any kids in the house?:shocked: Also are those dakotas really necessary? I mean a regular 45 slug in the head and your not getting up.

Yeah but thats only if you are good enough to place one in someones head! Pistols are notoriously inaccurate at anything over around 20 feet. If you want to bring someone down you use a rifle!

i keep at least 1-2 clips loaded at all times(just incase). i have 2 sisters i live with but the gun is in a safe in my room so they have no access to them unless they ask me.

i use the dakotas because i want the slug to stop the intended target without going through and have enough force to go into the room next to me and do any damage

Novacastrian said:
Yeah but thats only if you are good enough to place one in someones head! Pistols are notoriously inaccurate at anything over around 20 feet. If you want to bring someone down you use a rifle!

I wouldn't agree with that; neither would the deer I've dropped. :D
44Mag.jpg

Nice weapons abf303.

Yeah well a twelve inch barrel would tend to help a teensy weensy bit!! :hell:

That a .44? Its the only thing i know that comes close to looking like it!

Novacastrian said:
Yeah well a twelve inch barrel would tend to help a teensy weensy bit!! :hell:

That a .44? Its the only thing i know that comes close to looking like it!

Yup, Ruger 44 Mag single action.

Have a 357 Mag 6 banger with 6in barrel that's accurate well beyond any 20 feet.

Maybe you need to practice. :D

Not I! I actually took a rock the size of a golf ball off the top of a starpicket when i was around 15 with a .357 magnum single action at maybe 40 feet. Did take me around 8 shots though :P

Novacastrian said:
Not I! I actually took a rock the size of a golf ball off the top of a starpicket when i was around 15 with a .357 magnum single action at maybe 40 feet. Did take me around 8 shots though :P

8 shots; nuthin gonna stand still long enough for you to reload. :P

Keep practicing. :)

nova
i dont right now but i will take a video next time im at the range or out east.

nice .44 silver surfer. i would like to get a revolver one of these days, either a .44 or .357

ill take a pic of the target my dad and i were shooting at from about 30-50ft away

Back