• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Justaguy's 2011 Garden Season

Coming from 2010 http://www.thehotpepper.com/topic/17310-2010-garden-setup/page__st__40

Well this is the official start to my 2011 season. I know I am way behind many of my forum members and hopefully I can catch up. I am planning an early May plant out, but have limited indoor space and am trying to not have to pot up before plant out, but if need be I will have to make space.

First I need to germinate.
I placed 2 cinderblocks on the gas heater in the basement with a piece of wood on them and watched the temp for about 2 weeks. The cinderblocks aren't solid and let the heat through nicely.
100_0695.jpg

Grabbed the Thermometer for heat setting
100_0686.jpg

100_0685.jpg

Stays between 78F and 88F

Then today I started loading up paper towel pieces for them to start their lives.
100_0693.jpg

The ones in back were the first I loaded and fogged up as I loaded the rest. They went on as each got done.
100_0694.jpg

Good stuff. The temps are good and you should have no problem. Wishing you a great season!
I sowed to early the last couple years and ended up with plants everwhere and an upset wife.lol. We dont have the luxury of our friends in the south who can get their plants outside earlier.

Now I have tomorrow to get the soil ready so as they pop I can get them situated easily. Have to prep now because the workweek is hectic.

Here are my climbing shelves
Started with some 2x4's and a long festering idea
100_0683.jpg

During last season I got 4 mirrors off Freecycle. Saved them from the dump and they jumped into this festering idea.
1 is somewhat smaller so it is still to be integrated. Had a friend cut 2 to make them work.
100_0687-1.jpg

Then shelves
100_0688.jpg

With some power and a sheet.

Sun lamp in the bottom for heat and all said and done around 85F
100_0691.jpg

That setup should hold quite a few plants, best of luck Brian. If your plants come out as good as the sauces you're in business :onfire:

Good luck with you grow.

I think you'll find you will need more light. I hope those screws support the shelves after loading them.

Good stuff. The temps are good and you should have no problem. Wishing you a great season!
I sowed to early the last couple years and ended up with plants everwhere and an upset wife.lol. We dont have the luxury of our friends in the south who can get their plants outside earlier.
SO true about the space. Will be a limit test this year. I put enough seeds in the paper towels to hit my grow list target with only 75-85% germination

Good luck with your grow this season :cheers:
Thank you and good luck with yours too.

good luck with your 2011 season!
Thank you. I will be looking to you for smoking advice then as the season goes on.

That setup should hold quite a few plants, best of luck Brian. If your plants come out as good as the sauces you're in business :onfire:
It will spawn a lot of sauces.

Good luck with you grow.

I think you'll find you will need more light. I hope those screws support the shelves after loading them.

Yeah I am sure the light will need to be added to, but we will see. I did weight tests on the 3 inch screws and they should do fine. But again, time will tell.

Looking good Brian... Good Luck with your grow !

Glad to see at last update yours is doing well. I will try to catch up.

with the sunlamp it get bright and warm
100_0690.jpg
Nice set-up for your young ones. mirrors look great for reflecting that light back at your plants, do you think they also help keep the heat in? You are going to be in the same situation as I am with waiting for mother nature to hurry up to let you outside and space limitation inside. Good luck with your 2011 grow season it looks as if you are off to a great start. Looking foreward to pictures of your progress.

Looking good man. My first thought was also about the screws holding the weight. Hope they do. Best of luck to you for the season.

Those blocks are a family heirloom..lol..made in the seventies by my father for my mother.
I picked them up for a project one time way back and they were given to me

Tomorrow will be a week of germination at 78-88 degrees Farenheit and only a Cumari Passarinho has popped out. I think maybe I am keeping the towels too wet.

On another note. I added more screws for more levels if they ever start germinating. Have a setup to bottom water since the plastic in the trays allows me to use a funnel between the 6-packs to add to the bottom. Screws are holding fine.
100_0696.jpg

And yes the screws could be straighter, but I enjoyed my sons helping more then I would enjoy straight screws where it was not a big issue.

Looks good man, those babies will start popping up any day now ! ~}:-)

And yes the screws could be straighter, but I enjoyed my sons helping more then I would enjoy straight screws where it was not a big issue.
Future Pepper Farmers of America ...... way to go !!!

:woohoo: This morning I found one...and another.....and another. Then I had to change because I got too excited. j/k.

:DISCLAIMER: To everyone I traded seeds with I apologize for not having the forethought to record who sent what. There are some that had names on the envelope. So if you sent some I thank you again. Next year will be better recorded

First we have some of the ones that popped.

The black ones are the Manzano seeds. I found it weird they are black and their hooks are really hair thin
100_0698.jpg

Here are some more hooks.
100_0699.jpg

100_0700.jpg

Put the ones with hooks into cells
7 Indonesian Chile
4 Manzano
3 Trinidad Congo Red
2 Fatalli
10 Yellow Scorpion
1 Cumari Passarinho
6 Caribbean Red Habanero