Labels done! What do y'all think?

Try this CMYK value for the richest black:
50% Cyan, 40% Magenta, 40% Yellow, and 100% Black
I just got some stickers and they are black as night.

Sent to my GD - thank you!

Thanks for posting your designs, luckydog. Different people look for and see different things in labels. These are some really good suggestions, and you're smart to get the (2nd, 3rd, 4th....etc) opinion. You're right that "you'll never please everyone".

I posted in part to get exactly the feedback/constructive criticism I've received - its a HUGE help!

I'll post the updated labels on Sunday am when I have 'em - would love a 2nd set of eyes on the updates!
:)

Thanks everyone!!!!

With the exception of the things you have already mentioned that your changing I think the labels look great.
The only question I have is when and where will they be available???
:drooling:
I'm out!!

Website is coming together now - might take longer than I need though.

Meeting w/my distributor next week to map out a plan for local markets.

Turns out "test batch" is a misnomer. After the 4th of May ill have ~450 cases, 150 cases (1800 bottles) of each final & for sale. While a real kick in the....wallet, it means that I'm launching faster than expected.

I'll be selling through Facebook & Twitter & will post a PayPal addy here as appropriate.

so, long answer short, like June 1st?
:D

thumbs up from me. I like them. They look very classic.

Thanks! I love your labels so coming from you that's a huge compliment. :cheers:

Nice labels.

Is the sauce in the green label a "Green" hot sauce? You did state cayenne pepper.
On all the labels no difference in the main ingredients. Are the sauces actually different or just the label design color. What type of distilled peppers are you using theres no discription ? The type of peppers is the 1st thing I look for when I read the ingredient list.... .....before I buy.

Just my feedback

Nice looking labels though.

Greg

Great feedback - I'm applying it in the Romance Panel (after the 1st paragraph, calling the sauce by name and listing the types of peppers in each) like Ann/SL I am going to send you a free trio of sauce when I have it in early May.
:cheers:

To answer the Q, the Red and Orange have Habanero, Serrano, and Jalapeno with roasted garlic and use a cider-vinegar, while the Green has Jalapeno/Serrano with roasted garlic and uses a white vinegar.

To address the "what kinda peppers are in this", I'm going to have the designer add to the romance panels:

(to the Green label)
Lucky Dog Green - with Jalapeno & Serrano peppers and roasted garlic.

(to the Red label)
Lucky Dog Red - with Habanero, Jalapeno & Serrano peppers and roasted garlic.

(to the Orange Label)
Lucky Dog Orange - with Habanero, Jalapeno & Serrano peppers and roasted garlic.

Thanks for the feedback all!

THAT is a great idea! Gonna try that.

(grammar - "food" is probably ok. lol)

For me, even if you put the words "green", "red", and "orange" on the label it would help to distinguish between the sauces. I really like the labels, but like others have mentioned its too hard to tell one from the other. I can tell them apart in a lineup like you have them displayed here, but I don't think I could tell them apart on separate trips to the grocery store as I went back to repurchase the product I had to have more of.

I hope that makes sense.

Also, as for the CMYK coloring, I agree. A rich black is a must. I know its kinda weird having a colorblind person give color advice, but I work in a print shop and we run our blacks as 30C, 30M, 30Y, and 100B. It really makes the black look smoother. It's actually 30% light magenta, 30% light cyan, and 30% yellow on our printers under the black and it does make a difference.

LDHS, so I think that the labels are great. If you look at all of the major brands of anything, color change is the most prominent of changes. Ranch and sea salt are usually blue, sour cream is green, BBQ is red, cheddar is orange. Archer farms a target brand, ALL of their products are package in the same style packaging, with very little difference. As for me, when it comes to sauce, a green label is jalapeno, orange is habanero, red is cayenne, buffalo or Tabasco. When I grab for a green labeled sauce 99% of the time it's jalapeno. Orange means habanero....I mean to me it's pretty common practice. I think it's all good, if someone is color blind, they can read the ingredients list. I mean when people are thinking about what sauce they want, they are thinking of a color first and I think what you have going is spot on. The only thing I saw was that your red label which I thought you had said was a cayenne sauce doesn't have cayenne peppers on the romance label. It only red habaneros, jalapeños and serranos?? Idk, but good luck dude!

Cheers! Wow that's cool, I've used other combos too funny it's right on, but good. That is like a super black.
She's been a designer for a long while - I'm guessing she's made stickers before? She said the blacks are all [background=rgb(255, 250, 242)]CMYK, so I guess it's a known thing. I wouldn't know if from a hole in the ground. hahaha[/background]

[background=rgb(255, 250, 242)]Any suggestions for a web design person? [/background]

Oh, I wonder what numbers? No worries.

I think you should take these initial suggestions and do your thing and not ask for suggestions again. It will just drive you crazy. And you know if you ask you will just keep getting them. The most important things have been pointed out, now, it's up to you. Looking forward to the finished post.

Oh, I wonder what numbers? No worries.

I think you should take these initial suggestions and do your thing and not ask for suggestions again. It will just drive you crazy. And you know if you ask you will just keep getting them. The most important things have been pointed out, now, it's up to you. Looking forward to the finished post.

oh no doubt. I've gone back & forth enough with the graphic designer - these are the last of the changes.

Thanks for posting your designs, luckydog. Different people look for and see different things in labels. These are some really good suggestions, and you're smart to get the (2nd, 3rd, 4th....etc) opinion. You're right that "you'll never please everyone".

I posted it to the Facebook page too - feedback is extremely helpful. I'm one guy with one pair of eyes - and after looking at these labels for months with all the changes, it gets harder and harder to catch mistakes. That's why I so totally appreciate everyone's help. I may not incorporate every change but I'm always open to the feedback.

I'll post the next version (hopefully the last) when I have it!
:dance:

OK, updated labels!

Everything has been centered better, and we've added the product names and pepper types to the "romance panel" for each flavor. And I know JayT - "Lucky Dog Green Label" or "Lucky Dog Red Label" may not be very exciting or interesting, but it's my shtick, so I'm sticking with it. :cheers:

I tried the "hot/med/mild" on the front panel and didn't really care for it for 2 reasons.
1. It looked more cluttered. I don't want to distract the eye from the name/logo and with symmetrical text at the bottom of the sunburst it tended to draw one's eye towards it in a way that was distracting. A few local friends saw it and thought the same.
2. My sauces don't really fit those profiles. My Green Label is milder than my Red and much milder than my Orange, but it's not a "mild" sauce. If you check the thermometer it's just below Med - because that's what it is. So if I call it a Mild I might be understating the heat and/or misrepresenting the product. I don't want to attract or dissuade anyone from trying my sauces based on a generic descriptor like that, which is why I went with the thermometer.

But I do think making the pepper types known will enhance that as well. People who know peppers will inherently know that a Jalapeno/Serrano sauce will be more mild than a Habanero/Serrano/Jalapeno sauce.

So here there are - I really appreciate the 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th sets of eyes for feedback. At this point content is complete, but if you happen to catch any errors (misspellings, unfortunate spacing, alignment, etc) please let me know. I've stared at these labels for about 30 versions over the last week or 2 and I get a little squinty & blurry when I look at them these days. :rofl:

Now dance you unholy banana from hell, DANCE!!! :dance:

Those look good, luckydog. The added chiles along with the thermometer make it clear what the heat and flavor are. Not so confusing.

Those look good, luckydog. The added chiles along with the thermometer make it clear what the heat and flavor are. Not so confusing.

Thanks SL!

Ps - Go see Scovie - he has some LDHS hickory-smoked Red Label for you!
:D

Also changing the romance blurb to "Use [blah blah blah] and pretty much anything!" (removing the "else")
:dance:

WOOT! I think I just saw it on his "hungover chef" post this morning! awesome~

Looking good!

Okay you said you were looking for final comments.

Addition and adding sounds redundant.

I don't like "No" labels, if it is all natural, say all natural. Because "No" labels are often used when a product is not all natural and they are pointing out what it does not have with buzz words. I like to know if it is all natural with a quick glance rather than guess because the label is tricky.

I'd go with black text on the left panels, the text color hurts the eyes. Also the 5 oz text is really on visible on the red.

Luck Dog Hot Sauce - A... (I'd capitalize that).

Lucky Dog Hot Sauce - Food's Best Friend (Take out "it's" and capitalize that entire line, it is your tagline, just like on the front. Keep it consistent.

Oh and one formatting error - There is no space after the hyphens on Green and Orange. (Green Label- should be Green Label -)

The top-height line of the nutrition label should match the other panel. Also the text below it could be bottom-aligned.

That's it.

Good luck.

THP - THANK YOU!!!

I'm incorporating all of your suggested changes, save fur the "No" - I' fond of those & have heard the opposite feedback from a number of health-conscious label-watchers. They liked seeing it called out like that. I appreciate the suggestion though.
:)

But the rest is great feedback & is being put in place now by my designer. I really appreciate it - for the effort you've earned yourself a free bottle when I have product next month.

Glad to help brother!

And no prob. So if keeping the "No" test, I'd take out "added" after the first one. I know it's nit picking but I have seen some tricky labels where they did not add any, but used a product that had some.

Back